• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NNE Thread

mreaves

The precipitation is very interesting out there at the moment. We’ve got some light snow, and what could be mistaken for sleet based on the sound, but it’s something different. What we’re getting are granular flakes that look exactly like chunks of rock candy up to perhaps 8 mm in diameter. I’ve never really seen stuff like that before. Also at around 9:30 P.M. we had a flash of lighting; at first I wasn’t sure if I’d seen it, but them my wife, who was upstairs, asked me if I’d just taken a picture and that answered that. And now we just had a long rumble of thunder as well – neat stuff.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cannot believe the show that just went through here! Heavy sleet and thunder and lightening like I have never seen in winter. The cell must have gone directly over my head. Really freaky how the lightening reflects off the snow. Couldn't see any actual bolts but it was so bright they had to be close by. After 10 minutes standing out in it, the combination of being stung by the sleet and fear of being struck drove me back inside. It freaked out my six year old, who usually isn't bothered by thunderstorms. If you're going to have a snowfall tainted by sleet, this is the only way to go. Still 28F on my home thermometer.

Edit: Back to snow.

Not sure I've ever seen anything like that. Seems to be passing off to the east now...

The wife and I were heading home from Bradford, VT just now and the snow had gone over to sleet & ZR. As we headed WNW, we kept seeing flashes in the sky to the west and and we were like 'is that lightning?'. Got out of the car in the driveway....boom-flash she went!

And even now, as the line has passed to the east, the flip back to snow has occured. In what? Five minutes or so? Amazing weather....!

Glad to see lots of other thunder sleet reports--thought I was going nuts. ;)

Not sure I've ever seen anything like that. Seems to be passing off to the east now...

The wife and I were heading home from Bradford, VT just now and the snow had gone over to sleet & ZR. As we headed WNW, we kept seeing flashes in the sky to the west and and we were like 'is that lightning?'. Got out of the car in the driveway....boom-flash she went!

And even now, as the line has passed to the east, the flip back to snow has occured. In what? Five minutes or so? Amazing weather....!

I'll have to look out my window to see if its flipped over here. We kinda warmed up to 33-34 with that thunderstorm, but its all done. I remember this happened a couple times when I lived in Chester, back in my college days, maybe 2003 winter, or 2004

I guess its time to upload a couple videos. .

can say that again. crazy. just had bolts and rumbles, a few pingers but its back to heavy, heavy snow, under 1/4 mile visib. Hard to believe I was sitting outside in a fleece with a beer 8 hours ago

Wow, just wow. Went outside with the dog to try and find some lightning and boy did we. A bunch of very close lightning strikes and that cracking thunder you get in July. One strike in particular lit up the area and I vividly saw the bolt through the haze of heavy sleet mixed with snow... the thunder was instantaneous and earth-shaking and the entire Mountain Road, lit with restaurants, shops, and bars went dark as the power went out.

After a period of heavy sleet, snow grains, and snow, the precipitation went over to pure, heavy wet snow. Standing outside with the dog playing in the snow as massive flakes pour down amid lightning and thunder...+TSSN. This is my favorite event of the winter by far. At this point I don't care how much snow we actually get; this one has been exciting and yesterday we weren't supposed to see a flake by our national models.

5.5" between 5pm and 10pm... I'm satisfied considering that total includes almost an hour of sleet or dry slot. Here's a radar image of what was producing +TSSN here.

Lots of lighting and thunder with freezing rain. What is unbelivable is that so much of New England has had lightning tonight. I can not remember a storm producing so much convective activity in the heart of winter, can anyone else?

I agree with you, this is truly something very unusual and I know I have never seen anything like this before. Seems to have settled down here, but I don't think all is by, as I still have sleet falling.

Wow, just wow. Went outside with the dog to try and find some lightning and boy did we. A bunch of very close lightning strikes and that cracking thunder you get in July. One strike in particular lit up the area and I vividly saw the bolt through the haze of heavy sleet mixed with snow... the thunder was instantaneous and earth-shaking and the entire Mountain Road, lit with restaurants, shops, and bars went dark as the power went out.

After a period of heavy sleet, snow grains, and snow, the precipitation went over to pure, heavy wet snow. Standing outside with the dog playing in the snow as massive flakes pour down amid lightning and thunder...+TSSN. This is my favorite event of the winter by far. At this point I don't care how much snow we actually get; this one has been exciting and yesterday we weren't supposed to see a flake by our national models.

5.5" between 5pm and 10pm... I'm satisfied considering that total includes almost an hour of sleet or dry slot. Here's a radar image of what was producing +TSSN here.

Definitely agree with the bolded. Never seen anything like it.

Archived