amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NNE Thread

mreaves

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got one flash and a loud rumble about 20 minutes ago. If it's going to rain, may as well make it interesting!

Wind kicked up a bit and we've gone up a degree or so, but still right around freezing. Seeing all the SENE reports of upper 40s -- ouch. Hoping the damage here will be minimal.

Excuse my enthusiasm but OH MY GOD what a storm. My son had a HS hockey game in Northfield tonight that was originally scheduled at noon but somehow got changed to 7pm. I was excited because I work at the Mountain (Stowe) on Saturdays and now I would get to go to the game. I knew it was going to snow and it would be quite a drive but I have a subaru with good snow tires and have lived here for 22 years. I drive slow and let 4-wheel do it's thing. Little did I know what the return home would bring,. Holy weather! I have never been personally involved in so many different weather variables over such a short distance in such a short time. The ride down was standard heavy snow. Very little plowed. Rt 100 was ok but the Interstate had 3 inches of unplowed on it the whole way. IT started sleeting in Northfield around 7:30pm (aka first intermission). When the game was over (Stowe was victorious, now 12-2 go Raiders) I came out to a light rain. I was shocked it made it this far north. Driving back up 64 to the interstate to exit 5 it started raining harder with a few pings of sleet. But the rain had simply changed the snow covered roads to slush and it was 33F. Then I hit the interstate. Vermont has really been driving the NO bare road policy I am guessing due to the downturn in the economy. This means, roads will NOT be bare. Fine. I'm not the stupid suv driver (or invincible subaru driver) who blows by you going 70 in a bad storm. But man this road was destroyed. It looked like they had most recently plowed the left lane not the right. And it looks like sheer ice thanks to the rain. OH and once on 89 the temp was 30. So this was freezing rain. I stuck to the freshies. You get more grip. But it was white knuckle for sure. Constant course correction. Wet, heavy, wet snow,. And then it started sleeting HARD!. At this point I put on my weather band channel, my favorite (thanks Subbie). Then I hear an alert about thunderstorms! With heavy rain, sleet and snow. Oh my! By the time I get past exit 8 Montpelier insanity hits. It is pouring rain. A deluge, Windshield wipers on high and very little visibility. I am used to this in summer. I slow down because I cant see, and don't want hydroplane. But this isn't a water surface. IT's 2 inches of frozen mush, and I cant see! . Never in my life have I experienced this. I am now driving down the middle of 89 because if I go in the right or left lane the crown is enough to make me slip off into the snow bank. How do I know? By the 6 cars off the road already. I get thru the massive downburst of rain thanking a god I dont believe in for semi heart health. It's now about 9:15 pm and I start seeing the skies light up with random flashes. From exit 10 up Rt 100 to Stowe, I experience near white outs, followed by tremendous pinging of sleet, flashes of lightning VERY close by, It;s snowing, it's sleeting, it's snowing and sleeting. The road is a craze of mush. Snow, ball bearings, water, donkeys? At one point I couldnt see, and I swear I saw a donkey. OK, there was no donkey. It was a deer, and he was saying WTF? I finally arrived in Stowe, to witness the apex of the lightning. I would say a major flash ever 45 seconds. All very close by! And then a complete changeover to snow. Heavy snow. I pulled into my unplowed driveway with 7 inches of fresh snow. Cracked open a bottle of wine and quickly drank the whole thing. Wow! What a night!

Noticed my temp dropping without any wind...sure enough my anemometer is frozen. I'm surprised it took this long, but it seems it's the FZDZ with a breeze that does it more than anything since it can get under the drip rings.

Anyways...31.7F right now with FZDZ. Maybe we'll add a little snow on top a bit later.

Had 1.5" new snow on the day with 1/8-1/4" ice accretion on top. Had 0.56" w.e. on the day with 0.39" of that falling as FZRA/PL. The other 0.17" was with the SN/PL mix.

Event totals: 7.6” Snow/0.99” L.E.

Sunday 2/6/2011 6:00 A.M. update: The overnight snow here came in very synoptic-like in density, right on at 10.0% H2O. It’s certainly down from yesterday’s snow density, not surprisingly since that stack had some snow grains/sleet. Below I’ve added in the 24-hour snow totals I’ve seen for Vermont ski areas that have updated this morning, listed north to south:

Jay Peak: 12”

Smuggler’s Notch: 10”

Stowe: 11”

Bolton Valley: 11”

Mad River Glen: 11”

Sugarbush: 10”

Pico: 7”

Killington: 7”

Okemo: 3”

Bromley: 3”

Magic Mountain: 3”

Mount Snow: 0”

Not every area has reported in yet, but there’s a salient north to south trend in snow accumulations. Presumably this is in association with the mixed precipitation cutting down the snow totals, as I’m seeing some of the southernmost resorts indicating icing of the lifts. In general though, this has been another nice synoptic shot for the mountain snowpack; if we picked up just about an inch of liquid equivalent down here in the valley, then the surrounding resorts must have received at least that amount.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 3.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.31 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 27.5 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 29.0 inches

Wow! What a night!

Thanks for that very fun and informative report d, we certainly didn't experience quite that level of weather craziness in our I-89/Route 2 trip from Burlington to Waterbury, but we were more in the 7:30 P.M. to 8:30 P.M. timeframe before the lightning etc. Also, we may have been just enough north to avoid that nasty mixing on the roads, because we found just snowpacked surfaces on our trip.

OK, the fat lady has sung on this one.

6.0" of new "snow", 0.95" of liquid (yuck), 30" at the stake, 25F.

What a friggin night....

Outside of the thunder & lightning last night, the biggest surprise to me is the nearly one inch of liquid. Didn't see that one coming...but I wasn't paying much attention yesterday either. The snow came in in a wall yesterday afternoon, that's for sure. It wasn't snowing and then bam, moderate snow within 10 minutes or so.

At least I got the old truck up and running again. Vroom!

My snow (6.4") and LE (0.96") much like Allenson, though I've got only 25" at the stake. Had 5" snow 6-10 PM - a core at my 9 PM obs time showed 0.30" for 3.9" snow, nice 13:1. After 10 things began to get messy, but I was sleeping. The storm finished with 1" of fluff. In between the 5" and the 1", which together made perhaps half the LE, came sleet and 0.05" ZR. There's a hard layer about 3/4" thick with som slus beneath it where I swept the Tonneau cover at 9 PM. The final flurry coated the icy twigs with powder, so the woods are quite pretty this morning. Won't last long, as it's 29 and will warm to near 40 once the sun gets to work.

Edit: Three flashes and crashes abou midnight, one quite close, heard by my wife but I'm a sound sleeper (in both senses of the word.)

Excuse my enthusiasm but OH MY GOD what a storm. My son had a HS hockey game in Northfield tonight that was originally scheduled at noon but somehow got changed to 7pm. I was excited because I work at the Mountain (Stowe) on Saturdays and now I would get to go to the game. I knew it was going to snow and it would be quite a drive but I have a subaru with good snow tires and have lived here for 22 years. I drive slow and let 4-wheel do it's thing. Little did I know what the return home would bring,. Holy weather! I have never been personally involved in so many different weather variables over such a short distance in such a short time. The ride down was standard heavy snow. Very little plowed. Rt 100 was ok but the Interstate had 3 inches of unplowed on it the whole way. IT started sleeting in Northfield around 7:30pm (aka first intermission). When the game was over (Stowe was victorious, now 12-2 go Raiders) I came out to a light rain. I was shocked it made it this far north. Driving back up 64 to the interstate to exit 5 it started raining harder with a few pings of sleet. But the rain had simply changed the snow covered roads to slush and it was 33F. Then I hit the interstate. Vermont has really been driving the NO bare road policy I am guessing due to the downturn in the economy. This means, roads will NOT be bare. Fine. I'm not the stupid suv driver (or invincible subaru driver) who blows by you going 70 in a bad storm. But man this road was destroyed. It looked like they had most recently plowed the left lane not the right. And it looks like sheer ice thanks to the rain. OH and once on 89 the temp was 30. So this was freezing rain. I stuck to the freshies. You get more grip. But it was white knuckle for sure. Constant course correction. Wet, heavy, wet snow,. And then it started sleeting HARD!. At this point I put on my weather band channel, my favorite (thanks Subbie). Then I hear an alert about thunderstorms! With heavy rain, sleet and snow. Oh my! By the time I get past exit 8 Montpelier insanity hits. It is pouring rain. A deluge, Windshield wipers on high and very little visibility. I am used to this in summer. I slow down because I cant see, and don't want hydroplane. But this isn't a water surface. IT's 2 inches of frozen mush, and I cant see! . Never in my life have I experienced this. I am now driving down the middle of 89 because if I go in the right or left lane the crown is enough to make me slip off into the snow bank. How do I know? By the 6 cars off the road already. I get thru the massive downburst of rain thanking a god I dont believe in for semi heart health. It's now about 9:15 pm and I start seeing the skies light up with random flashes. From exit 10 up Rt 100 to Stowe, I experience near white outs, followed by tremendous pinging of sleet, flashes of lightning VERY close by, It;s snowing, it's sleeting, it's snowing and sleeting. The road is a craze of mush. Snow, ball bearings, water, donkeys? At one point I couldnt see, and I swear I saw a donkey. OK, there was no donkey. It was a deer, and he was saying WTF? I finally arrived in Stowe, to witness the apex of the lightning. I would say a major flash ever 45 seconds. All very close by! And then a complete changeover to snow. Heavy snow. I pulled into my unplowed driveway with 7 inches of fresh snow. Cracked open a bottle of wine and quickly drank the whole thing. Wow! What a night!

This is an awesome write-up haha! Go Stowe Raiders and go heavy snow with lightning. I couldn't believe how close these strikes were last night and the fact that the mountain road lost power for a time following one of the lightning strikes. Just wild stuff.

It looks like 7-8" out there this morning... don't quote me on it because I haven't gone out to measure. Time to run to work but this is definitely my favorite storm of the season. Trees are just caked with heavy, wet snow out there.

Well didn't get to measure during the night but this morning there is 4" of paste on the ground. Likely it has compacted quite a bit. Digging down you can clearly see a 1/4-1/2 inch of sleet and ice sandwiched between layers of snow. Must have been a wild mess overnight.

, PTO belt picked a fine time give up.

There's a lot of tired & broken snow removal machinery out there right now. Even my best snow shovel broke yesterday as I was clearing of the last of the roof! :axe:

Plow truck is back running with a new starter but man-oh-man is she tired. I was just out pushing this stuff around and it's brutal. Lots of pops and creaks in the front end/steering. Being very ginger with it but that almost makes matters worse with this kind of 'snow'.

Taken from the GYX AFD ... this guy "Cempa" must be re-assigned to Phoenix.

ONE BENEFIT OF THIS COLD AREA OF HIGH

PRES...IS THAT IT IS SHAPING UP TO SUPPRESS A COASTAL STORM FAR

ENOUGH TO THE S AND E THAT IT WILL ONLY BRING A LITTLE LIGHT

SNOW...IF ANYTHING AT ALL.

LOL--I'll take that right now. At least we have plenty of wood! ;)

OK, the fat lady has sung on this one.

6.0" of new "snow", 0.95" of liquid (yuck), 30" at the stake, 25F.

What a friggin night....

Outside of the thunder & lightning last night, the biggest surprise to me is the nearly one inch of liquid. Didn't see that one coming...but I wasn't paying much attention yesterday either. The snow came in in a wall yesterday afternoon, that's for sure. It wasn't snowing and then bam, moderate snow within 10 minutes or so.

At least I got the old truck up and running again. Vroom!

I was on my snowmachine in lunenburg vt, overlooking the whites, I saw clearly a wall of snow heading my way,.within about 45 minutes it was snowing well over 2 inches per hour. It was an incredible event to be out in,! I did get back indoors to witness the thunder snow,..havent ever seen such bright lightning, the summer never has so much reflective snow surface to augment the flashes,..it was incredible, wish I could have filmed it with a quality camera. Measured an even 8 inches here this morning, and shoveling it now says its damn packed with liquid!!

Archived