Newest Member
    EWR757
NNE Thread

mreaves

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 4.5” Snow/0.68” L.E.

Saturday 2/5/2011 10:00 P.M. update: The precipitation went back over to completely snow a bit before 10:00 P.M., so that will work pretty well as a break point in measurements for this event. It seems that the passage of all that thunder and lightning was coincident with the transition back to snow. The snow stack from the snowboard was certainly dense, with over 2/3 of an inch of liquid in just the 4.5 inches of snow. Presumably all those granular flakes and any sleet pellets added some substantial girth to the snowpack. While the new snow is dense, there are no signs of any glazing, so as far as I can tell there was no rain in this area. Once the precipitation was back to snow it was coming down nicely, with some decent flakes up to 10 mm in diameter. I wasn’t ready to call it heavy snow, because it seemed to be less than an inch per hour, but I’ll be able to get a good rate estimate by checking the snowboard at 11:00 P.M. The snowpack at the stake was at 27 inches as of the 10:00 P.M. reading, and since my standard measurement stake stops at 30 inches, I installed my four-foot stake just in case tonight’s snowfall overtops it. From my observations over the past few seasons down at this elevation/location, whenever we get above 30 inches for the snowpack it’s a sign that things have been going reasonably well in terms of snowfall and winter temperatures. I’ll check the 11:00 P.M. accumulation on the snowboard in a few minutes.

Some details from the 10:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 4.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.68 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 6.6

Snow Density: 15.1% H2O

Temperature: 30.7 F

Sky: Snow (1-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 27.0 inches

I’ll check the 11:00 P.M. accumulation on the snowboard in a few minutes.

That 10:00 P.M. to 11:00 P.M. hour delivered 0.6 inches of snow, although the rate has slowed down a bit compared to where it was an hour ago. There still seems to be some moisture to the west of us, so presumably I’ll have a bit more accumulation to report in the morning.

Archived