joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Thread

mreaves

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were some flakes early this morning in Burlington in association with that middle and upper level flow event that the NWS mentioned, but that activity seemed to be done by about 8:00 A.M. I didn’t see anything falling for the rest of the day until around 4:30 P.M. when flakes started to fly again. It was just flurries, and that’s really all I’ve seen both in Burlington and in Waterbury this afternoon and into the early evening, although there was bit more intensity as I headed into the mountains. The intensity of the snowfall has been slowly increasing through the evening though, and as of 9:00 P.M. there’s light snow falling here in Waterbury with 0.2 inches of accumulation on the snowboard. The NWS discussion suggests 2 to 4 tonight and a total for the event of 4 to 6 inches.

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM TUESDAY MORNING/...

AS OF 439 PM EST MONDAY...A SHARP UPPER TROUGH WILL MOVE SOUTHEAST FROM THE WESTERN GREAT LAKES TONIGHT AND WILL MOVE THROUGH THE REGION ON TUESDAY. THIS TROUGH IS HELPING TO PULL MOISTURE NORTHEAST FROM THE OHIO AND TENNESSEE VALLEYS AS EVIDENCED FROM THE SATELLITE LOOP HAVE EXTENDED THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY TO THE SAINT LAWRENCE VALLEY IN NORTHERN NEW YORK. EXPECTING 2 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOW OVERNIGHT...WITH SNOW CONTINUING INTO TUESDAY MORNING.

.SHORT TERM /6 AM TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT/... AS OF 439 PM EST MONDAY...HAVE GONE WITH CATEGORICAL POPS FOR SNOW TUESDAY MORNING...BEFORE GRADUALLY TAPERING OFF TO SNOW SHOWERS TUESDAY AFTERNOON. EXPECTING A STORM TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4 TO 6 INCHES...WITH SOME LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE OVER THE ADIRONDACKS AND GREEN MOUNTAINS.

Light snow still falling here, 29F. Haven't done my obs yet but it looks to be 2" or less thus far. Looking forward to the arctic surge later today!

Just shovelled about a foot of mashed potatos off my roof. Can't believe how much moisture fell Saturday night.

Yeah, that was a juicy one on Saturday night, no mistaking that one.

5:30am Observations...

800ft Stowe Village... 1.4" at 31F (surprisingly wet snow)

1,500ft Stowe/Mansfield... 2" at 28F (cleared an estimated 2.25" off the board, rounded down to 2", much drier snow, I'd assume better ratios made up the difference)

So 2-3" of new snow here at the ski resort this morning. I'm curious to see how 3,000ft did last night with much colder temps. Will need to wait for daylight for that snow board reading.

Western slopes are getting nailed this morning... we've been seeing a steady light snow but echos are drying out as they push over Mansfield/Smugglers Notch area here. Western slopes of the spine look to be getting some fairly decent snowfall this morning.

Event totals: 1.0” Snow/0.09” L.E.

Tuesday 2/8/2011 6:00 A.M. update: There was exactly an inch on the snowboard this morning at observation time, with light snow falling comprised of fairly small, 1-2 mm flakes. Below I’ve added in some of the 24-hour snow totals I’ve seen for Vermont ski areas this morning, listed north to south:

Jay Peak: 3”

Smuggler’s Notch: 3”

Stowe: 3”

Bolton Valley: 3”

Mad River Glen: 2”

Sugarbush: 3”

Pico: 2”

Killington: 2”

Stratton: 3”

Magic Mountain: 3”

Mount Snow: 2”

Based on the ski area reports, it looks like a very consistent 2 to 3 inches fell across the Green Mountains up to this point in the event. Some details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 1.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.09 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 11.1

Snow Density: 9.0% H2O

Temperature: 32.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 27.0 inches

Nice & purty in the trees...

Very much so.

Steady -SN at 29-30F from 12:30 to 7 AM only came to 1.8", of 9:1 perfect snowball material. GYX has the foothills progged for 3-5", but upstream radar brings no optimisim for even the low end IMBY, unless we get a quick puff when the CF comes thru.

Touched 36 yest, mildest since Jan 2 but not enough to affect the snowpack.

unless we get a quick puff when the CF comes thru.

Prob'ly be a little bit with the front I would think. Looks like it's on the march too--temps have come down considerably in northern NY, Burlington is on the plunge and as close as Montpelier starting to drop now.

I'm ready for some 20s and low dews--let's snap the mush right out of the pack!

Heavy snow here at the mountain... visibility is under 1/4 mile in heavy snow and strong winds. I can barely see the base lodge from the mountain operations building.

Another inch at both sites as of 11:30am so we've had rates around .33" per hour.

Storm total is now 4" at 1,500ft and 6" at 3,000ft and the upslope machine is cranking.

Awesome meso-scale features on the radar right now... NNW winds are causing a downsloping dry line a few miles downwind of the Green Mountain spine. Right now this heavy snow at the mountain looks very localized (Mansfield is right on the zig-zag county border east of BTV) and judging by the radar, it might not even be snowing at my house which is a few miles down the Mountain Road (RT 108).

My place is located right in the dry line there east of the Green Mountain spine, though it looks like it may be snowing down in the center of Stowe Village at the intersection of RT 100 and 108. That snow in eastern Stowe is being caused by NW upslope flow into the Worcester Range which makes up the eastern boundary of town. It parallels the Greens in this area but is only a 3,000ft ridgeline instead of a 4,000ft ridgeline. However, it looks like 3,000ft+ is causing enough upslope for another band to form over the eastern half of town. Awesome meso-scale stuff!

Archived