• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Thread

mreaves

Do you have a link to where on weather underground you get your radar display? It always shows better details than the radar I have been able to find there.

http://classic.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?zoommode=pan&prevzoom=zoom&num=6&frame=0&delay=15&scale=0.443&noclutter=0&ID=CXX&type=NCR&showstorms=0&lat=44.50037384&lon=-72.64627838&label=Stowe, VT&map.x=400&map.y=240&scale=0.443&centerx=379&centery=183&showlabels=1&rainsnow=0&lightning=0&lerror=20&num_stns_min=2&num_stns_max=9999&avg_off=9999&smooth=0

Yikes, that's a train wreck of a link but that's where it comes from, haha.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://classic.wunde...838&label=Stowe, VT&map.x=400&map.y=240&scale=0.443&centerx=379&centery=183&showlabels=1&rainsnow=0&lightning=0&lerror=20&num_stns_min=2&num_stns_max=9999&avg_off=9999&smooth=0

Yikes, that's a train wreck of a link but that's where it comes from, haha.

thanks. That is the area I had come across before but I only now saw that skinny bar on the left for the advanced radar settings. I think if I play with the settings it will show the greater details.

Down to 23.8 now. Not bad- we dropped just shy of 10f in the middle of the day.

Snowing like crazy at Stowe Mountain; not a single flake falling in the village of Stowe. The perfect storm, great skiing and no shovelling.

Some of the Vermont resorts have made midday updates to accumulations, so here are the latest storm totals I’ve seen:

Stowe: 6” (12:00 PM)

Bolton Valley: 6” (11:30 AM)

Sugarbush: 5” (2:00 PM)

Killington: 5”

I'm guessing those numbers will increase a bit more since the snow is still falling.

There was one cold front last year that was insane... This however was also ridic. Very dry snow... Very good ratios... Walking in that was some good fun.

Ahh, heaviest snow I've seen in a couple years, was what I meant to say. I was in transit from DC to southern NH in early Jan. I did experience the Dec storm down there, but the snowflakes were nothing like what we just got here.

But yeah, that was fun...I waited for the advance transsit bus for like 10 min and I swear an inch fell on my head. :thumbsup::snowman:

Ahh, heaviest snow I've seen in a couple years, was what I meant to say. I was in transit from DC to southern NH in early Jan. I did experience the Dec storm down there, but the snowflakes were nothing like what we just got here.

But yeah, that was fun...I waited for the advance transsit bus for like 10 min and I swear an inch fell on my head. :thumbsup::snowman:

Yes, I remember you being in DC... I was walking by the advanced transit stops when the snow was falling... Very fun how we got 2 inches two different ways in 24 hours... One very wet, one very dry...

if I didn't grow up here I think I would have been a little shocked today. ski this morning with the dog, calm 30, sweating bullets. ski today on the mountain, watched the temps drop 10F in 60 min, skied in wicked winds on/off snow squalls, thigh deep snow, finished at 2:30 to 6F and sideways blowing snow. could feel the front come through, pretty fun day outside

Some very nice snows occuring at the moment, confined to the western slopes of the Greens, as well as the eastern portions of the Champlain Valley. Winds gusting to at least 30 mph and 12.5F. I had reported earlier in the day a storm total of 2.5".... thought it was done. At least 4.5" out there now since these additional snows kicked in about three hours ago. :thumbsup:

Event totals: 3.4” Snow/0.28” L.E.

Tuesday 2/8/2011 6:00 P.M. update: I didn’t find much in the way snow on my car in Waterbury, perhaps ½” of snow, but I found 2.4” on the snowboard at the house. As expected, the ski areas have picked up more snow and some are into double digits for this event – some updates totals are below:

Smuggler’s Notch: 10” (3:31 PM)

Stowe: 6” (5:00 PM)

Bolton Valley: 10” (2:35 PM)

Mad River Glen: 8”

Killington: 7”

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 2.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.19 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.6

Snow Density: 7.9% H2O

Temperature: 11.1 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 28.5 inches

Cold morning. Colder than I thought it'd be. Down to -10F after a high of 31F yesterday morning.

I was driving home during that and was definitely pretty intense, kind of reminded me of that wall of snow that hit Saturday afternoon. As you probably noticed dropped off quickly once out of Hanover.

Yeah, just a few miles north of town, it fizzled right down to not much of anything.... Of course that squall hit at just the prefect time--right when everyone was trying to leave!

Event totals: 3.6” Snow/0.29” L.E.

Wednesday 2/9/2011 6:00 A.M. update: We picked up a final couple tenths of an inch of snow after the snowboard clearing yesterday evening. The west slopes appeared to do well with this event, as Bolton Valley came in with 10 inches, although Smugg’s and Mad River came in with similar amounts for the higher elevations. Looking forward it seems like we’ve got small impulses of energy for the rest of this week, with the potential for slightly larger events in the Sunday through Tuesday timeframe.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 7.0 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 28.0 inches

Event totals: 3.4” Snow/0.28” L.E.

Tuesday 2/8/2011 6:00 P.M. update: I didn’t find much in the way snow on my car in Waterbury, perhaps ½” of snow, but I found 2.4” on the snowboard at the house. As expected, the ski areas have picked up more snow and some are into double digits for this event – some updates totals are below:

Smuggler’s Notch: 10” (3:31 PM)

Stowe: 6” (5:00 PM)

Bolton Valley: 10” (2:35 PM)

Mad River Glen: 8”

Killington: 7”

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 2.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.19 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.6

Snow Density: 7.9% H2O

Temperature: 11.1 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 28.5 inches

Cool observations, Jay. I like the fact that you had only 1/2" on the car in Waterbury at the park 'n ride, but 2.4" on your snow board close to the spine. This was definitely a western slope storm with a very sharp cut-off just east of the immediate spine.

Our 36 hour totals are 5" at 1,500ft and 7" at 3,000ft thanks to another inch since 4pm yesterday.

With that said, the western side of the mountain made out much better. I talked to someone who skied Underhill State Park on Mansfield's western slope and he reported at least 10" of pure upslope fluff. Another friend skied from Stowe to Smuggs via Spruce Peak yesterday afternoon and reported that they in fact did have quite a bit of the classic upslope fluff, and definitely got the 8-10" yesterday that they reported.

So the ski areas that occupy the western/northern slope (facing out towards the Champlain Valley) got hit pretty hard in this one with 10" at Bolton and 10" at Smuggs... while literally a mile away on the east side of Mansfield we only had 6" at 3,000ft (at the time those resorts reported 10") and 4" at 1,500ft. The radar certainly supported this with echos rapidly drying immediately east of the Spine.

Overall it was a cool little event and I was surprised at how dense the snow that fell yesterday was. The 24 hour liquid total at the Mansfield co-op was 0.55" which would support our 6" snow board reading, and shows that the mountain did get a nice shot of liquid from this event.

Archived