• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Thread

mreaves

I just ran around Burlington Vermont down near lake champlain. This is indeed correct, the snowfall rates here are absolutely insane, much like they were earlier in the week. We have 1"-2" / hour rates EASY. Its definitely a heavy wet snow though!

So awesome and crazy out there!

Wow! It is just crushing heavy snow out there.

5pm...snow begins

6pm...2" new, rate 2"/hr

6:20pm...2.5" total, rate 1.5"/hr

+SN (ASOS's around the area seem to only be reporting moderate snow but to me, snowfall rates of this magnitude deserve heavy snow regardless of measured visibility).

The Champlain Valley is also getting hit pretty good... Snow started at BTV around 4:50pm, by 5:50pm they had 0.11" of liquid, then a half hour later at 6:20pm they got another 0.10" of liquid. At 10:1 ratios that's a 2"/hr snowfall rate at BTV and the ASOS may even be under-reporting the liquid in the snow as it often does.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were up at Bolton today, and conditions were nice. This midweek storm wasn’t entirely ultra light Champlain Powder™, so this powder has seemed to settle down and consolidate a bit quicker that some snowfalls. Temperatures were probably around 30 F, and it was really comfortable on the slopes. In the morning we had blue skies, which gradually transitioned over to clouds as the next system approached.

05FEB11C.jpg

We’re here in South Burlington at my parent’s place now, and first flakes appeared in this location right at 4:20 P.M. The intensity of the snowfall picked up fairly quickly, and as of 6:00 P.M. there were already a couple of inches of accumulation. I checked again at around 6:30 P.M. and it was closing in on 3 inches, so it’s coming down at over an inch an hour.

Oh I will. If it doesn't flip, I have to say I could see us approaching the 12" mark based on that radar. The rates are still insane, I don't even know where the snow is coming from anymore!

I'm going to go measure again here soon now that its been an hour or more. I'm just curious as to the hourly rates and am not clearing the snow board till 6 hours.

If we stay in this deformation band on the NW flank, we are going to get crushed. I still think we see a couple pingers, but the dry slot is now moving more east than north, which means the mid-level warm air is probably doing the same. Taconic's is right, if we don't change in the next hour or so, it won't happen.

I just did another check on the snowfall, and as of ~7:00 P.M. there are almost four inches of accumulation here in South Burlington, which is up about an inch since 6:30 P.M. So as others have mentioned, the snow is coming down in the range of 2 inches per hour around here.

Still heavy snow here in Burlington, really difficult to tell if the upper layers or whatnot will get warmed enough to flip it.

If they don't, we're going to get crushed based on that radar. Any thoughts?

It is bright banding, but that doesn't necessarily mean sleet. It could be large wet aggregates in the path of the beam.

I can attest to how heavy the snow has been coming down. I was about 20 miles from home on my snowmobile when I first noticed the distant hilltops disappearing, I am guessing this was 4:15 - 4:30 or so. Within 10 minutes or so visibility was less than a mile and soon less than a half mile. The last 5 miles or so we were riding in the worst visibility that I ever have, I could see maybe 100 feet up the trail. We got back around 5:40 and there was about 4 inches in the drive way. There seemed to be some sleet mixing in at times. Still snowing pretty hard when I looked out 10 minutes ago.

I'm surprised at some of the visibilities being reported by the ASOS's around the area. BTV had .22" of liquid as snow last hour (over 2"/hr at basic 10:1 ratios), and visibilities for the hour ranged from 1/2sm to 1sm. I can't believe 2"/hr isn't producing 1/4sm or less. Its been a pretty impressive little system so far.

Heading outside to enjoy it again.

Archived