e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
GL/MW/OV January 2011 Disco Part II

Chicago Storm

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats funny is that its actually seen more snowcover than normal. Normal for an entire season, at DTW anyway, is about 50 days. We are already at 35 days and not quite halfway through winter. I say its funny, because going into La Nina its the LAST, and I mean LAST thing I expected. I was expecting more than anything a subpar winter for snowcover due to frequent thaws, but a lot of storminess, similar to (but not as extreme as) 2007-08.

In the interim, the snowpack we have, find a hill and go sledding (the big sled hills, from both blowing snow and frequent sledding, may have bare tops). You will FLLLYYY on this glacier lol.

I suspect many of the same people would be killing for our 4-8 and occasional 8-12" snowstorm when the east goes through one of their snow droughts. If theres one thing winter is in this region, its DEPENDABLE.

I guess if you call a dusting to 1" on the ground snow depth I guess its accurate but thats just smoke and mirrors if you ask me :pimp: . Who would be killing for are 4-8 inches? :lol: Isnt that total common around North America that receive snow during the winter.

It should be Dependable considering how far north we are and the GL that surrounds us. We get almost 15 inches alone on frequent dusting's and snow showers from Lake Michigan.

:drunk:

Clipper for Friday Night and Saturday is looking a little more interesting with a lot of the models cranking out .1 - .15 QPF. Throw in some high end ratios and we could be looking at an additional couple inches.

Ya for IA/IL but the wave weakens as it heads east.

DVN

FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT...ANOTHER FAST MOVING CLIPPER ARRIVES WITH A

QUICK RETURN OF WARM AIR ADVECTION. WITH SNOW RATIOS ABOUT 20:1 OR

EVEN HIGHER THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR ABOUT 1 TO 2 INCHES OF FLUFFY

SNOW OVER MOST OF THE CWA. COULD EVEN BE A 3 INCH AMOUNT IF SNOW

RATIOS ARE HIGHER. MAX TEMPS WILL BE MAINLY IN THE SINGLE DIGITS.

NWS Duluth is forecasting a low of -36F in International Falls on Friday morning.

I imagine that areas like Tower and Embarrass may approach -40F.

:snowman:

From this afternoon's AFD:

THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY...EXTREMELY COLD AIR SETTLES INTO THE

REGION. H85 TEMPS OF AROUND -30C OR EVEN A BIT LOWER CAN BE

EXPECTED. THIS WILL LEAD TO WIDESPREAD LOW TEMPERATURES IN THE 30

TO 40 BELOW RANGE. WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED TO SEE SOME TYPICALLY

COLDER LOW LYING LOCATIONS REPORTING 40 BELOW OR LESS. WIND CHILL

VALUES MAY REACH WARNING CRITERIA...BUT WINDS WILL BE LIGHT SO

WILL NEED TO EVENTUALLY DETERMINE WHETHER WE WILL GO WITH A WIND

CHILL WARNING OR AN EXCESSIVE COLD WARNING.

I guess if you call a dusting to 1" on the ground snow depth I guess its accurate but thats just smoke and mirrors if you ask me :pimp: . Who would be killing for are 4-8 inches? :lol: Isnt that total common around North America that receive snow during the winter.

It should be Dependable considering how far north we are and the GL that surrounds us. We get almost 15 inches alone on frequent dusting's and snow showers from Lake Michigan.

:drunk:

I dont think you got my point at all. No, I dont call a dusting on the ground snow depth. I go by the 1"+ snowcover days because that is the main stat for snowcover. yes, there are stats for how many days should have a T+ on the ground, and how many should have 3"+, 5"+ and 10"+, but the main one, when referring to snowcover days, is 1"+. Thats what I meant. Besides, how many days have we only had a dusting on the ground? Very few.

Official stats for DTW thru Jan 19th:

Days with T snow depth: 9

Days with 1" snow depth: 3

Days with 2" snow depth: 5

Days with 3" snow depth: 1

Days with 4" snow depth: 0

Days with 5" snow depth: 18

Days with 6" snow depth: 7

So, of DTWs 34 days with 1"+, 25 of them have had 5"+. Since December 1st 43 of 50 days have had some snow on the ground.

My point about the 4-8" systems is when other areas whos climate is feast or famine (much of the east coast, esp midatlantic), no they arent jealous of a 6" storm in a more consistent, dependable climate like here when they get blasted by a 18" one. Who would be? But in a winter where they cant buy a 3" storm, they would be jealous of a 6" storm thats once again hitting our consistent, "dependable" climate.

I dont think you got my point at all. No, I dont call a dusting on the ground snow depth. I go by the 1"+ snowcover days because that is the main stat for snowcover. yes, there are stats for how many days should have a T+ on the ground, and how many should have 3"+, 5"+ and 10"+, but the main one, when referring to snowcover days, is 1"+. Thats what I meant. Besides, how many days have we only had a dusting on the ground? Very few.

Official stats for DTW thru Jan 19th:

Days with T snow depth: 9

Days with 1" snow depth: 3

Days with 2" snow depth: 5

Days with 3" snow depth: 1

Days with 4" snow depth: 0

Days with 5" snow depth: 18

Days with 6" snow depth: 7

So, of DTWs 34 days with 1"+, 25 of them have had 5"+. Since December 1st 43 of 50 days have had some snow on the ground.

My point about the 4-8" systems is when other areas whos climate is feast or famine (much of the east coast, esp midatlantic), no they arent jealous of a 6" storm in a more consistent, dependable climate like here when they get blasted by a 18" one. Who would be? But in a winter where they cant buy a 3" storm, they would be jealous of a 6" storm thats once again hitting our consistent, "dependable" climate.

Trust me I rather live in the GL region then the Mid Atlantic, and southern New England we have "longer" winters and yes we get a bunch of 4", 3" and 7" then many locales.

Quick question what do you think about Feburary... will it be eventfull in your opion? :popcorn:

I don't know about you guys--but I am liking the weather pattern we are heading into. No fantasy-storms to bother with--and quick hitting but small clippers/disturbances that keeps the pattern active and lively with no major torch in sight.

After the winter you have had up there I would feel the same way, but sitting at 18 inches so far with no storm dumping more than 6 inches has me wanting a bigger storm. After this current storm, part of arkansas will have almost as much snow as parts of michigan. The dakotas, MSP, hartford , albany and NYC have atleast double the amount of snow. I know my geography limits the bigger snow potential, but I am still holding out for atleast one 8-12 inch storm. Excluding Dc/Balt, my location is the donut hole this year. It's been frustrating at times but I have enjoyed tracking weather. As time goes on I will enjoy the tracking aspect more and decrease the wishcasting.

Trust me I rather live in the GL region then the Mid Atlantic, and southern New England we have "longer" winters and yes we get a bunch of 4", 3" and 7" then many locales.

Quick question what do you think about Feburary... will it be eventfull in your opion? :popcorn:

Yes. I have been hitting Feb hard from the getgo, if Im wrong I will man up and eat my crow, but i see an excellent February in the works. While I cant necessarily promise a repeat of last Feb (27.0" DTW, 28.5" imby..Harry had his snowiest Feb on record), what Im seeing is a big bomb. Ive had the gut feeling for a while, and if I end up wrong I will admit it. Its a combination of things, really....from gut instinct, to La Nina climo, to DTX heralding a backloaded winter...been thinking so since October. Think March will be good too, but its February thatll be rocking. La Nina is not living up to its normal reputation here (below avg precip, above normal snowcover, no major torches or cold snaps)...so thats my only small red flag. But its a small one.

Thats another reason normal snowfall and a delightfully unexpected near-constant white winter has been almost a bonus so far. Because February is coming :)

Archived