e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
GL/MW/OV January 2011 Disco Part II

Chicago Storm

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

81F right now in Miami... This blows. Turtle must come back soon...i think school starts on Monday. He'll freeze solid on Friday. Probably start crying, but his tears will turn to ice.

I've been here a few days now, definitely not looking forward to the sub-zero stretch but it'll be interesting. Not sure why the GFS gets you guys to -30 while MSN only gets -12.

I'm fine with this winter so far. Sure, I'd like a bigger storm, but I know what my climo says. A few here could benefit from relearning theirs.

QFT. Amazing really that a lot of people are above normal to date (mainly west and south of MI, not counting MKE), yet act like it's been a dismal winter or they've been screwed over. There needs to be a climo refresher...stat. :axe:

Tired of this winter already.

Nickel and dime clippers. :thumbsdown:

Decent snow producers suppressed to the south, :thumbsdown:

Or, sloppy, mix/sleet/rain/snow crap...:thumbsdown:

Bring me some spring and some severe weather.

My friend Rhonda down in Georgia probably has as much snow as, if not more than I do IMBY.... There is something wrong with that on some level...

I'm sorry Tim, but you've lost your mind with that last sentence. Most of Chicagoland has seen at least 20" of snow...which and you may not believe it, is above normal to date. Every winter does not feature a big dog. Hell, Chicago went 18 years (1981 to 1999) between 10" storms. Learn your climo and embrace it. It's just the facts. :)

I'm sorry Tim, but you've lost your mind with that last sentence. Most of Chicagoland has seen at least 20" of snow...which and you may not believe it, is above normal to date. Every winter does not feature a big dog. Hell, Chicago went 18 years (1981 to 1999) between 10" storms. Learn your climo and embrace it. It's just the facts. :)

True dat, but a 6 incher isn't asking too much from a climo standpoint. Hopefully we can land one in the next couple months here.

QFT. Amazing really that a lot of people are above normal to date (mainly west and south of MI, not counting MKE), yet act like it's been a dismal winter or they've been screwed over. There needs to be a climo refresher...stat. :axe:

Up here we are barely normal, its just been so meh getting there.

True dat, but a 6 incher isn't asking too much from a climo standpoint. Hopefully we can land one in the next couple months here.

No doubt, but it's not like everyone up there hasn't been close to getting a 6"'er already. My point was, there have been much much leaner times for NE IL.

True. I guess I should have focused it more on SW lower MI.

No doubt, but it's not like everyone up there hasn't been close to getting a 6"'er already. My point was, there have been much much leaner times for NE IL.

True. I guess I should have focused it more on SW lower MI.

The 1981-1999 period for Chicago is really amazing. I don't know how many 6" snows there were but the lack of 10" storms is something.

Northeast IL only averages about 1-1.5 six inch events per winter which probably means there's been quite a few years without one.

Sure, as you outlined, most of my childhood.

Really the only one with a legit complaint is Blowme and even he isn't far off in history from an epic winter.

Nearing a foot below normal here i do believe.

Taking this into consideration i don't see any improvements with that either and the hole will probably grow deeper unless the lake can send some help.

combphase_noCFSfull.gif

Thus why as well everything is shifting south and east again as phase 7-8 is common with eastcoast storms/blocking. So anyone living up this way better not get any false hopes of models coming back our way with this next system. Chances are very slim that happens. Was hoping we could sneak something in before the return of the fail pattern but ala todays system etc is taking that out out of the picture. Oh well. Congrats OV and eastcoast.

MBY is running at about normal too. Like you it's, it's how we go there that's the problem. It just seems like all of these little nickle and dimes aren't satisfying to many. I'm standing at 16.3" so far, but here's how I got there:

Daily snowfall

>T = 15

>1"= 2

>2"= 1

>3"= 0

>4"= 0

>5"= 1

>6"= 0

I've also had 12 days with a trace of snow. That's 31 out of 49 days where I've observed flakes fly. That sounds pretty good, but my daily average snow depth is only 1.23".

I only had one day in Dec with a snow depth of greater than 2" and 7 days in Jan (the last 7 days).

I know climo, but I sure would like to see at least one 6"+ snowfall before the winter is over.

The 1981-1999 period for Chicago is really amazing. I don't know how many 6" snows there were but the lack of 10" storms is something.

Well, looking at the MDW COOP during that stretch, there were five 10"+ events. So it's not like all of Chicagoland/NE IL went without...just at the official site. Remember that ORD took over as the official site in January 1980. ORD "big" snowstorm climo is in fact poorer than MDW.

Ain't looking to get buried, or anything... but is a 6" snow storm asking too much? Perhaps... I keep a daily weather diary.. been doing it for 3 years now, and I do see that Chicago is +5" so far this winter. (at ORD) .. It just doesn't seem like it, at least not down by me. I am thinking my snow totals are probably lagging behind ORD by a couple of inches... whatever. I guess I am just bored tracking these systems, only to have the heavier snow miss to the south, or north. Plenty of shovelable snow so far, but it just doesn't seem like it. It seems as if north and south of me has gotten more snow.

I get the climo, and I understand (to some extent) the influence of the upper air dynamics, the blocking, the AO and NAO as well as the ENSO stuff. In order to have a 1978, or 1999 repeat, things have to come together a certain way at a certain time. What I am hoping for is at least one 6"-8" event this winter. Given the seasonal trends it doesn't look like that will happen.... I can handle cold and dry, so long as I have some cold, that's fine... Sloppy mix events like NYE and yesterday just, for whatever reason, annoy me. I would rather have a series of clippers drop 2" at a time then a sloppy mix event, even if I got good snow on the back end...

The other question is: With all that I have got going on..why am I letting the weather get to me like this???

Well, looking at the MDW COOP during that stretch, there were five 10"+ events. So it's not like all of Chicagoland/NE IL went without...just at the official site. Remember that ORD took over as the official site in January 1980. ORD "big" snowstorm climo is in fact poorer than MDW.

Interesting...learn something new every day.

Archived