12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
GL/MW/OV January 2011 Disco Part II

Chicago Storm

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This pattern is exactly why I won't latch onto a single operational run (or even successive ones) which may suggest an arctic outbreak. Heck, even the failed attempt number one had nearly of week of GFS ensemble backing and a number of favorable pattern changes and that one was DOA. The Dr. No ensemble mean has completely flip flopped and changed the overall timing of any particular cold plunge with the general mean shifted much farther E. Even the operational run looks bad now.

post-999-0-80844400-1295187364.gif

Always amazing, isn't it? I have another 24-36 hours to enjoy my snow pack before it gets wiped out by this next system. I hate grinch storms. :lol::(

You have a pretty good cover again down there though don't you? Hopefully you keep most of it. At least the WAA ahead of tomorrow's system isn't outrageous like the NYE storm.

We only have 2" here, so if it ends up primarily rain our snow will be toast. Hoping to sneak a few inches in before the changeover.

You have a pretty good cover again down there though don't you? Hopefully you keep most of it. At least the WAA ahead of tomorrow's system isn't outrageous like the NYE storm.

We only have 2" here, so if it ends up primarily rain our snow will be toast. Hoping to sneak a few inches in before the changeover.

About 4 or so inches. Of course it's a little uneven because of some drifting. I'm banking on the usual underestimation of WAA from the models, which should pretty much with the combo of 0.25-0.50" of rain, sweep all the snow down the drain. I hope it doesn't all go away, but I remain pessimistic about my chances.

12z GFS still much less impressive with the arctic outbreak. Basically nothing we haven't seen already this season. I'm definitely done taking arctic outbreak scenarios seriously until we're well within the 84hr range. At least we'll all save a lot on energy bills.

Exactly. Even the ECM ensembles, which had been right on the first 2 threats, had a couple hiccup runs with this potential. The cold air is there--it just keeps finding a different reason to end up somewhere else.

About 4 or so inches. Of course it's a little uneven because of some drifting. I'm banking on the usual underestimation of WAA from the models, which should pretty much with the combo of 0.25-0.50" of rain, sweep all the snow down the drain. I hope it doesn't all go away, but I remain pessimistic about my chances.

I really dont think you will be losing all that snow. As I said in the other thread, in a torch, models usually underestimate things despite snowpack, but this is no torch. Im sure you will be warmer there than here, but even there, dont think youll hit 40F. If anything the snowpack may act as a sponge, and you will have a solidified mass of snow, albeit less than the 4" you started with, when its all said and done. Here, Im expecting our 6" snowpack goes down to at worst 4" before hopefully rising with the deform snow.

I really dont think you will be losing all that snow. As I said in the other thread, in a torch, models usually underestimate things despite snowpack, but this is no torch. Im sure you will be warmer there than here, but even there, dont think youll hit 40F. If anything the snowpack may act as a sponge, and you will have a solidified mass of snow, albeit less than the 4" you started with, when its all said and done. Here, Im expecting our 6" snowpack goes down to at worst 4" before hopefully rising with the deform snow.

Oh I think we'll hit at least 40º here. 9/10 times in these scenarios LAF torches pretty good, relatively speaking. Plus the snow isn't holding a lot of water, which should make it easier to disappear. But we'll see. Even if it does get wiped out, I'm liking the chances of replenishing the snow pack later in the week.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

326 PM CST SUN JAN 16 2011

DISCUSSION

325 PM CST

CERTAINLY BEEN A BEAR (PARDON THE PUN) OF A DAY TODAY...HAVING TO

CHASE/DEAL WITH THE SURPRISE "LAKE RESULT" SNOW THAT HIT US TODAY.

OTHER THAN FIRST PERIOD CONCERNS...BRUNT OF THE FORECAST EFFORT

HAS GONE INTO THE SLOPPY SYSTEM SLIDING SOUTHEAST STARTING THE

WEEK OFF AND THEN THE APPARENT CANCELLATION OF THE LATE WEEK

ARCTIC OUTBREAK!

QUICKLY WANT TO TOUCH ON HOW/WHY WE GOT THOSE SURPRISE LAKE

EFFECT...OR PROBABLY MORE ACCURATELY CALLED LAKE RESULT...SNOW

SHOWERS TODAY WITH SOUTH WINDS. OVERNIGHT SATURDAY INTO EVERY

EARLY THIS MORNING NORTHERLY FLOW OFF THE LAKE HELPED SPREAD AN AREA

OF LAKE EFFECT CLOUDS SOUTH INTO EXTREME NORTHWEST INDIANA. THESE

CLOUDS WERE INITIALLY TOO SHALLOW TO PRODUCE ANY SIGNIFICANT

PRECIPITATION. EARLY THIS MORNING LOW LEVEL FLOW BEGAN TO VEER

BLOWING THOSE LAKE EFFECT CLOUDS FIRST WEST...THEN NORTHWEST INTO