joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
GL/MW/OV January 2011 Disco Part II

Chicago Storm

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For as much as I bash my climo fairly regularly, I'm trying to think of a metro area anywhere in the world with a larger population than Toronto AND that receives more snow.

Toronto metro: 5.1 million and 52.4" of snow.

The only one that comes to the top of my head is Moscow. That city is more than twice the size but I can't find any info on how much snow they receive.

For as much as I bash my climo fairly regularly, I'm trying to think of a metro area anywhere in the world with a larger population than Toronto AND that receives more snow.

Toronto metro: 5.1 million and 52.4" of snow.

The only one that comes to the top of my head is Moscow. That city is more than twice the size but I can't find any info on how much snow they receive.

There is a thread in Weather Forecasting and Discussion now. The article chose Denver with 60+. Denver metro I believe has 5 million +.

32 year anniversary of the Jan 12-14, 1979 blizzard.

January 13, 1979. THE BLIZZARD OF '79 MOVED INTO NORTHERN ILLINOIS AND NORTHWEST INDIANA. AT THE TIME...THIS DATE HAD THE GREATEST CALENDAR DAY SNOWFALL OF 16.5 INCHES IN CHICAGO. IT IS NOW THE SECOND LARGEST CALENDAR DAY SNOWFALL...FOLLOWING THE 1999 BLIZZARD. 9.5 INCHES OF SNOW FELL ON ROCKFORD FROM THIS STORM. THIS STORM AIDED ROCKFORD TO SET THE ALL-TIME RECORD SNOWFALL FOR A SINGLE WINTER SEASON --- WITH A TOTAL ACCUMULATION OF 74.5 INCHES.
1979 -- Up to 20" of snow fell on northwest Indiana. South Bend reported 17.2", with 35 mph winds blowing it into eight foot drifts. 21" of snow buried Chicago in thirty hours. Fort Wayne received only one-third of an inch of snow.
January 12-13, 1979. 14.3 inches. Milwaukee

Another major snowstorm followed the New Year's storm by two weeks. Winds gusting to 40 mph caused near blizzard conditions with drifts to 6 to 8 feet blocking many roads. Travel became nearly impossible with many snow plows pulled off the roads.

1/13/1979

A strong winter storm moved across the region. Peoria reported a total of 12.2 inches of snow from this 3-day storm. The heaviest snow from this storm fell in the Chicago metropolitan area, where up to 2 feet of snow paralyzed the city. The southern half of the state did report some snow, with up to 6 inches near Charleston and north of I-72, as well as some freezing rain.

1/13/1979

A massive storm dumps heavy snow across southern Lower Michigan. Temperatures in the teens and strong winds lead to heavy drifting of the powdery snow, causing travel to come to a halt. The snow, at times falling at more than an inch an hour, caused power outages due to broken tree limbs. Snow accumulations were up to 3 feet, causing some roofs to collapse. South Haven had 21 inches of new snow added to 24 inches already on the ground. Grand Rapids saw 13.5 inches of snow and 2 to 4 foot drifts with wind gusts between 25 and 35 miles an hour.

Daddylongschlong you mean...

Yeah...its coming down at a good clip..big flakes.

That is a nice frontogenetic band of snow, pretty much a classic warm front. Lowest visibilities seem to be 3/4 of a mile. Should be a quick inch for anyone in its path including Madison.

Clipper followed by colder air (possibly slightly sub-zero) coming Saturday for southern WI. I'll miss the clipper, but the snowpack will be fresh and the air crisp upon arrival! :snowman:

have had some -SN here at COD this afternoon with more on the way it looks like this evening.

also had some -SN last night with BIG flakes, was pretty cool.

as for football winners this weekend....CHI, GB, PIT, NE.

That would be one hell of a game at Soldier Field with a pretty good chance of being cold/stormy..thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

There is a thread in Weather Forecasting and Discussion now. The article chose Denver with 60+. Denver metro I believe has 5 million +.

Forbers is lame anyway, but it is comical, because Denver is probably the least wintry of any city on the list. They may get an average of 60", but most of it is fall and spring and it never lasts on the ground.

Forbers is lame anyway, but it is comical, because Denver is probably the least wintry of any city on the list. They may get an average of 60", but most of it is fall and spring and it never lasts on the ground.

Agree 1000% :thumbsup: Denver is overrated when it comes to average snowfall. No one beats Buffalo and to me thats a major city

Archived