EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
GL/MW/OV January 2011 Disco Part II

Chicago Storm

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could it maybe be a winterlong snowcover for you from here on out?

This is our 12th day in a row with snowcover, but really, most of the winter has had it. We are on our 33rd day this winter with 1"+ snowcover, but several days in early December had a T of depth, so the only days with "0" snowcover so far in met winter are Dec 1, Dec 4-5, and Jan 1-4.

Interesting side note, this is the 23rd day DTW has had snow depth of 5"+, average for an entire winter (per 71-00 nowdata) is 15 days! And normal 1"+ days is 49, so at 32 at DTW already, an above normal season is practically a lock. Granted, peak depth was just 6" so far, so still holding out for deeper snow (we havent had a winter where peak depth was at or below 6" since 2003-04).

What was the winter in which there wasn't a ton of overall snowfall, but snowcover was very pervasive? Am I thinking of 1999-2000?

What was the winter in which there wasn't a ton of overall snowfall, but snowcover was very pervasive? Am I thinking of 1999-2000?

Hmm... 1999-2000 was certainly a low-snowfall winter (29.3" imby, my 2nd lowest since 1995...and at DTW 23.7", good for 18th snowless winter). And it did have a solid snowcover stretch here from Jan 13 - Feb 23, but there wasnt much on either side of that stretch, so in the end snowcover was a few days below normal. 2003-04 also saw a below normal snow season but with solid snowcover from early Jan to late Feb (but again, not much on either side of that stretch).

For Detroit, I dont think anything will ever beat 1947-48. Total snowfall of 26.6" is good for 25th snowless winter on record, but the 89 days of 1"+ snowcover are good for a tie for 2nd whitest winter since 1908 (I dont have snowcover data from its beginning in 1892 to 1907). The only official "whiter" winter was the infamous 1977-78. I think MAYBE 1903-04 beat 1947-48 as well, but again that falls in my 1892-1907 M stretch.

Kinna depressing that the GFS goes in to Feb with the ****ty pattern for a big one now and then after that only a short month of real winter left before the sun angle of march is a PITA to keep a snow pack. Even in a F winter like this one here winter goes to fast.

Like Buckeye says, this seems to be the winter where you cant trust models past 48 hours lol, so dont worry, the next run the GFS may get rid of the vodka cold and replace it with a major midwest bomb (and then back and forth for the next umpteen model runs). I know Milwaukee has been the snow-hole of the Lakes so far, but I really feel that by winters end, your snowfall numbers will be up there as well.

Like Buckeye says, this seems to be the winter where you cant trust models past 48 hours lol, so dont worry, the next run the GFS may get rid of the vodka cold and replace it with a major midwest bomb (and then back and forth for the next umpteen model runs). I know Milwaukee has been the snow-hole of the Lakes so far, but I really feel that by winters end, your snowfall numbers will be up there as well.

Yeah you guys are def. right that you can't trust the models past 48 hrs.. And there does look to be a decent looking event south/east of here later in the week so that's good for you guys. Hopefully can keep the lil clippers going as those are the only things that haven't totally busted here like the 3 advisory's I've been under.

Going on 4 hrs of pixie dust.. Hopefully I can pull a few hrs of light snow off later :arrowhead:

This year with YYZ is going to be to me what 2004-05 was to you with DTW.

lol that was horrible (2004-05). Whats worse, is there were a few storms that honestly DID do definitely better here (whereas this winter, despite little +/- changes with each event, its been uniform)....so Id have to give a very rough estimate of what I think they would have had, because I know they did not have the 82" I had but Im 100% positive they had more than the 64" they reported. I estimated in the 70-74" range. Ironically, the biggest storm of that winter (Jan 22), they outsnowed me 12.2" to 11.0". The irony of snow measurments :arrowhead:

Fantasy land (180+) big dog potential on the 12z Euro. Gulf monster heading north at 192 hours...

Eh monster may have been too strong...initially anyway. But Buckeye somehow staves off the WTOD from a storm heading right towards him...and probably receives a 5-10" dump. The YYZ and YOW guys get clobbered.

Archived