• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January Obs Thread III

strongwxnc

Unbelievable snow at Beech Mtn. Were expecting up to 10" today on top of what's already there!

Snow Totals for Beech Mountain, NC

Winter 2010-2011

Date Snowfall (inches)

October 5 trace

November 4-6 5.8"

December 1-2 2.2"

December 4-5 8.0"

December 5-7 11.2"

December 12-15 13.7"

December 19 0.1"

December 21 0.1"

December 23 0.1"

December 25-27 17.0"

January 5-6 2.0"

January 6-8 25.5"

January 10 5.0"

January 11 5.0"

Total Ice & Snow 97.7" Last Updated: 1/12/2010 at 7 AM

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unbelievable snow at Beech Mtn. Were expecting up to 10" today on top of what's already there!

Winter 2010-2011

Date Snowfall (inches)

October 5 trace

November 4-6 5.8"

December 1-2 2.2"

December 4-5 8.0"

December 5-7 11.2"

December 12-15 13.7"

December 19 0.1"

December 21 0.1"

December 23 0.1"

December 25-27 17.0"

January 5-6 2.0"

January 6-8 25.5"

January 10 5.0"

January 11 5.0"

Those numbers are just crazy, and its only mid-January. I wouldn't be surprised if they get up to 200" this winter.

Managed to hit 34 for a high today after dipping down to 16. Earlier today the roads here were impassable with all the snow and ice hanging around. Luckily by about 2:30, some of it had melted and people were *gasp* able to escape out of my neighborhood! A total of 7 individuals, including the mailman, were stuck and either went back home or took the very long way to get out onto 321. Scary stuff when it's all happening beside your house.

You guys want to see what a boatload of snow looks like check this out. If I could get off and had some $ you can bet I'd have the family up there. Anyone heard how much joe has. I would like to hear his comparison from this winter to last. I think he went over a 100 last year and I'm sure he is on pace to repeat.

Check out the piles!

Compared to mt baker that's nothing lol. I was checking out mt baker in washington yesterday, and seattle was forecasting over 200 inches of snow there from last night until friday night! They were forecasting up to 20 to 30 inches each period. They stopped giving accumulations after friday night but the forecast was for more snow after that. I can't even comprehend getting 200 inches in 3 to 4 days.

Anywho, that is some impressive numbers for beech mountain. Man the mountains have been slammed this year. I bet the ski places are loving it.

Reading through all the Ga. posts it is hard to believe we are in the same universe much less state :) I had clear streets by Mon mid day as far as tracks were concerned, and by yesterday they were all clear but come occasional crust. A lot of the roofs lost it yesterday, and the yards lost alot today as I was driving around. T

Haha, yeah it is surreal. To see this much snow on the ground for this long is just amazing and I don't expect it to go anywhere for the next several days. Let's just assume it lasts until saturday, which it will, that will make 12 days so far with snow on the ground somewhere. Not bad :D

i cant remember two winters with this much snow on the ground for this long! its 21.3 here, high was 24.9, virtually no melting today. i am thinking schools and businesses will be closed again tomorrow. you can see the sun shining on all the ice, looked pretty cool :) but it sure didnt melt anything.

Winter 2010-2011

Date Snowfall (inches)

October 5 trace

November 4-6 5.8"

December 1-2 2.2"

December 4-5 8.0"

December 5-7 11.2"

December 12-15 13.7"

December 19 0.1"

December 21 0.1"

December 23 0.1"

December 25-27 17.0"

January 5-6 2.0"

January 6-8 25.5"

January 10 5.0"

January 11 5.0"

Wow thats a lot. Some years up until last year hit they had only 20% or less of that by now.

My snow has been melting fast today. Even though we only got to 33 or 32, depending, I was driving a lot today and theres an open field used for hay that was almost bare ground. No trees, just open and already bare ground over several acres. I've still got deep patches around the house and my gravel drive is totally ice crusted, but its melting faster than I thought it would. It makes a difference if you got 5 versus 8 or more. But I'm ready to see it go, I've never liked it on the ground after it snows except when I was in school just so we could get out. Seeing all the schools still out reminds me of my senior year, 88, where we missed 2 weeks straight. I think that also happened in 87, where Jan. was out about 2 weeks, then soon as we got back in mid Feb. we did it again with a major sleet storm.

Wow thats a lot. Some years up until last year hit they had only 20% or less of that by now.

My snow has been melting fast today. Even though we only got to 33 or 32, depending, I was driving a lot today and theres an open field used for hay that was almost bare ground. No trees, just open and already bare ground over several acres. I've still got deep patches around the house and my gravel drive is totally ice crusted, but its melting faster than I thought it would. It makes a difference if you got 5 versus 8 or more. But I'm ready to see it go, I've never liked it on the ground after it snows except when I was in school just so we could get out. Seeing all the schools still out reminds me of my senior year, 88, where we missed 2 weeks straight. I think that also happened in 87, where Jan. was out about 2 weeks, then soon as we got back in mid Feb. we did it again with a major sleet storm.

Was a sophmore and we were out for 2 weeks as well. After a week we managed to pile up at one guys house and played football in it for days...the good old days. I like the fact it really is pretty out through the woods while out driving around today.

28.8° currently with some really greasy spots on the roads!

I added some additional pictures from today, solid ice all day long. We hit 29.9 for a high and it's 23.3 now. The front yard is cracked, all the way across the yard. That picture is portrait but sideways on Picasa. Oh yea, out of work again tomorrow, 6 day weekend so far.

http://picasaweb.google.com/stephenrbrueck/2011SoutheastSnowStorm#

I remember the sleet storm in 87. Man that was the hardest ive ever seen it sleet. Had around 4" of sleet in Spartanburg. I was going to Spartanburg Tech at the time. Had a 1972 Buick Skylark and Got stuck several times trying to get back to Union. Pine Street in Spartanburg was a mess. Snow in 88 stayed around a while also. A 45 minute commute to work took over 2 hrs for almost 2 weeks. Unions roads were good. Get to the Spartanburg county line, you literally drove up on 6-8 inches of hard packed snow. Those were some wild storms.

29 was the high here today with very little melting. I gashed my pinkie finger trying to slide down my hill without a sled. That ice is sharp. I helped my neighbor shovel his driveway and it was a solid sheet of ice. Judging by the moisture on the roads tomorrows commute wont be much better than today.

29 was the high here today with very little melting. I gashed my pinkie finger trying to slide down my hill without a sled. That ice is sharp. I helped my neighbor shovel his driveway and it was a solid sheet of ice. Judging by the moisture on the roads tomorrows commute wont be much better than today.

I also cut my hand sledding... No school tomorrow AGAIN! Even though there wasn't much melting, the sun helped out. The roads are much better tonight imo. Gonna be a cold one tonight!

Weaverville obs 20.1° Light to moderate snow. Wind is gusty out of NW. Temp is up from 19.9° a few min. ago.

Overall not one of our better nwfs events. We have gotten 2" since last night. Some places in the Flat Creek area (just about 4 miles n of me) have about 6" for the event. We had a couple good bands last night & tonight that made up the 2". Today was snow showers mixed with sun. Might get lucky and scrape out another 1/2".Didn't make it to 25° all day. Kids here are also out of school for the 11th day this year. They got the dreaded phone call tonight......Saturday school this week.

Foothills, I have always found it interesting how snow melts after storms. After the 15" snow the day after Christmas, the snow under trees and near buildings melted first and fastest, while the open fields were last to melt, espcially if it was bare ground. Basically the exact opposite of your situation. Heck, leaving the Raleigh area today on 540, the bare areas along the road still had sleet and snow accumulation while the grassy areas were clear. Very interesting thermodynamic processes going on.

its a cold winter night thats for sure lol. went to the neighbors for dinner (everyone is getting cabin fever) - the consensus is we might not be able to get out of the neighborhood until the weekend :lol: everything is still completely snowed and iced in, and the snow drifts in the street are still there cos of the ice. simply amazing - its 18.4 and most things are closed here again tomorrow (day 4 lol)

Yea very windy tonight in Asheville... its been on and off light snow, but the roads are covered up just as bad as last night thanks to all the blowing snow... looks like we will squeeze out another .5" in the greater Asheville area.

Temp: 17.7 degrees

Humidity: 79%... peaked at 86% earlier tonight.

in other news, I payed a trip up to the I-26 border of NC/TN (Sams Gap) and boy was there was about a foot of snow on the ground with 2 foot + drifts... here are a few shots.

acc3ue.jpg

50fw2b.jpg

2z66rr6.jpg

The people I have been talking to in Atlanta are starting to go stir crazy from not being able to drive much, if any, from their homes. This reminds me of snowjam 1982.

Looking at the traffic cams I'm amazed at the amount of ice still on GA400 and I285 and it's 4 days later.

i can't even get to that website to see the pics. I guess the traffic at the website is still overwhelming.

If you have a smart phone you can download the "Atlanta Traffic" app for either a Droid or IPhone and the cams work there. I have to use my Droid to see the cams because the website is too busy.

Archived