• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January Obs Thread III

strongwxnc

HA! I saw one today go down my road, but there was not reason as there was nothing but dry pavement on the road.

One went down my road to for the first time ever although it was completely dry ha. Probably because of the wreck on an adjacent road where there was a huge sheet of ice in the shaded part.

Same here. The plows went down my road twice yesterday with nothing on it. The blade pressed firmly into the asphalt, sparks a flyin'.They do it every year here, but usually after its already melted off here. Seems like its just tearing up the roads, no wonder Shelby's roads are in terrible shape with big chunks coming up more and more. I know they have a job to do but to keep going down the same road twice a day unneeded is a bit much.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here. The plows went down my road twice yesterday with nothing on it. The blade pressed firmly into the asphalt, sparks a flyin'.They do it every year here, but usually after its already melted off here. Seems like its just tearing up the roads, no wonder Shelby's roads are in terrible shape with big chunks coming up more and more. I know they have a job to do but to keep going down the same road twice a day unneeded is a bit much.

Meanwhile...my road (3 miles worth) is nothing but one huge sheet of frozen 'stuff'!!! No plow, no brine. Ughhhhhh

Meanwhile...my road (3 miles worth) is nothing but one huge sheet of frozen 'stuff'!!! No plow, no brine. Ughhhhhh

If I could, I would send my plow down to your area Peach but I think they're state or County employees so he probably won't go for it. Thats too bad b/c he needs to be doing areas that truly need it. They do mine a lot every year when its like this, just completely dry. He'll be back this afternoon I think, just for those areas where the snow magically crept back onto the roads.

It was 14 when I left the house at 6:15 so I assume I got down to 12 or 13. The bottom of the yard was probably colder. I thought I had a legitimate shot at single digits but oh well. I almost got hit by a semi on the way to work today. I was in a pack of cars and the front car slammed his breaks on when we came to a downhill stretch of ice. We all responded and started sliding. I heard some crunching behind me and saw a semi just a few inches from me and heading my way. I don't know how we didn't hit but I would have gone after that lead car. People make me so mad.

Got down to 10.8 this morning.

Out of curiosity, I put one of my sensors about 1 inch above the snow and it recorded 7.2. I didn't think about it but I should have put one at the bottom of the hill in my yard as it is normally 3 to 5 degrees colder than where I normally measure the temp at the top of the hill on nights with calm winds. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if it approached 0 right on top of the snow/ice in one particularly low spot where all the cold air drains into. But since I didn't actually put one there, I will just assume it got to 4 or 5. Still not bad.

Quite a few single digits over northwest georgia and the mountains this morning. Lafayette got down to 6, Blue ridge got down to 5, and blairsville got down to 3.

it wasnt as cold as i thought it would be either last night...didnt eclipse my lowest temp so far (bottomed out at 13.4)

Me neither.....my coldest so far was the sunday morning before the snow at 11.9. LOL. Did manage to hit 12.5 and 12.8 the last two nights though.

The wife and kids get another day off here as well. I told them last Sarurday to enjoy their Easter Break this week! What a Cold winter and snowy one at that so far. Thought I'd post this pic. How would you like to live in this city?

This is Sicily, Mt Etna in the background.

article-1346685-0CBDE12E000005DC-979_964x645.jpg

That would really cut down on accumulations.

I was thinking the same thing Canton. I ran some errands and came back and told my wife that its sad when the low 40s feel warm. This snow is getting to be like vacation. I look forward to it forever and once Im there I dont want it to be over. At the same time im ready to get back to normal and lloking forward to home. Part of me wants this snow to go away so I can start wishing for the next.

It is amazing the amount of snow we still have. It doesnt happen often. We had snow this long in 2000, 1993, and 1988 IMBY. So its really a once a decade type of setup.

I can say I have not seen it stick around this long in my lifetime. Maybe it did during one of those early 80s storms but I was too young to remember it. It's truly amazing at how persistent it is. For there to be any in the field after this long is absolutely unbelievable but there is still some. I don't know when the snow in my front yard will melt..despite temps near 50 yesterday, it didn't melt any. The ground is so cold and it's so well protected by that sheet of ice it just isn't going anywhere. However, we aren't expected to get to freezing the next few nights for the first time and of course there is the chance of rain.

It would be nice to have a few patches last till wed so that I could say there has been snow on the ground for 10 straight days but that might be asking a lot. Regardless it's been damn impressive.

It is amazing the amount of snow we still have. It doesnt happen often. We had snow this long in 2000, 1993, and 1988 IMBY. So its really a once a decade type of setup.

thats for sure. last year, some of the days with snow were like an inch or so in the shade lol. this morning there is still nearly completely coverage - the roads still have icy spots on them (and not small ones!)

deck still completely covered. it looks like we still have about 4 or 5" on the ground, more in some spots :thumbsup:

thats for sure. last year, some of the days with snow were like an inch or so in the shade lol. this morning there is still nearly completely coverage - the roads still have icy spots on them (and not small ones!)

deck still completely covered. it looks like we still have about 4 or 5" on the ground, more in some spots :thumbsup:

I still have about 2" in my front yard. Its insane how long it has stayed! At 9:06 pm tonight I will have had snow on the ground for a week!

:thumbsup: With as warm as it's been here I was surprised today by the patches of snow still on the ground. Although not much is left...it's still snow :wub:

Heat wave currently imby today as the temp rose to a toasty 55 deg under sunny skies :sun:

I found this interesting from FFC for North Georgia...

...ADVERSE DRIVING CONDITIONS POSSIBLE ACROSS PORTIONS OF NORTH

GEORGIA EARLY MONDAY DUE TO POSSIBLE LIGHT FREEZING RAIN AND

REFREEZING OF PREVIOUS SNOW AND ICE COVERED ROADS...

TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO FALL TO AROUND THE FREEZING MARK IN

NORTH GEORGIA EARLY MONDAY MORNING. A MOIST RETURN FLOW OFF OF

THE ATLANTIC MAY BEGIN TO PRODUCE SPOTTY LIGHT RAIN OVER THE AREA

BEFORE BECOMING MORE WIDESPREAD DURING THE DAY. ANY INITIAL RAIN

MAY FREEZE ON IMPACT...ESPECIALLY ON PREVIOUS SNOW AND ICE COVERED

ROADS WHICH WILL CAUSE HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS. MOTORISTS ARE

URGED TO USE CAUTION AND SLOW DOWN. LITTLE IF ANY ADDITIONAL ICE

ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED.

ANY LIGHT FREEZING RAIN THAT DEVELOPS WILL QUICKLY BECOME RAIN AS

THE TEMPERATURES GRADUALLY WARM DURING THE MORNING. HOWEVER...

THERE ARE MANY SECONDARY AND RURAL SNOW AND ICE COVERED ROADS IN

SHADY AREAS WHICH WILL CONTINUE TO GRADUALLY THAW AND STILL BE

SLIPPERY. ROAD CONDITIONS WILL CONTINUE TO IMPROVE ON TUESDAY AS

TEMPERATURES APPROACH 50 DEGREES.

Not for my county but wanted to post in case nobody in North Georgia saw it...

:thumbsup: With as warm as it's been here I was surprised today by the patches of snow still on the ground. Although not much is left...it's still snow :wub:

Heat wave currently imby today as the temp rose to a toasty 55 deg under sunny skies :sun:

got 'warm' here as well, and had quite a bit of melting. the roads were mostly just wet around sun down, with icy patches in the shade. the snow cover is still pretty extensive, but i can tell we lost several inches this afternoon lol. this is 7 days of full snowcover :) you cant ask much more than that in ga.

Archived