• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January Obs Thread III

strongwxnc

You've gotta watch this. It was taken with a GoPro HD camera attached to a model glider called a Radian. It's a pretty big (44" long, 2 meter wingspan) electric powered glider. This was taken the other day while it was snowing, this is a subdivision on the other side of Dacula. Landing is great!

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've gotta watch this. It was taken with a GoPro HD camera attached to a model glider called a Radian. It's a pretty big (44" long, 2 meter wingspan) electric powered glider. This was taken the other day while it was snowing, this is a subdivision on the other side of Dacula. Landing is great!

Wow, I'd like to have one of those so I could attach a thermometer to it and monitor the progress of potential warm noses at different heights.

Wow, I'd like to have one of those so I could attach a thermometer to it and monitor the progress of potential warm noses at different heights.

Man I have thought the same thing or wanted something to do that for years. It would be so cool to have real time actual temp data during winter storms...or any other time for that matter.

my home office is in CT too. They are all working from home today. Where are you flying into? If its White Plains forget it. Hartford, probably the same...

Didn't read the previous pages to see if this had already been stated, but go spend 5 minutes reading the storm obs thread from NE and it will make our recent events seem paltry, meaningless and pathetic. (doesn't mean I would give it back of course)

But seriously, my co-worker in CT has 19" and still snowing..............in less than 12 hours!!!!! :weight_lift: And I'm headed there TOMORROW!! :thumbsup: That is, if the flight even leaves Charlotte. :whistle:

Picked up an additional 2" of "fluff" overnight. Now puts the seasonal @ 21.4".

Last nights snowfall was the light fluffy variety. If I had waited very long before taking measurements, I wouldn't of measured as much. the wind is just playing havoc on any definitive measurements. There may have(probably was )been more but, just no way of getting all accumulative snow measured properly in said conditions.

Thanks! I did get the outdoor model. It's currently mounted to a 2x12 that I cut to 2' in length so I can move it around the front porch. Will find a more permanent install later.

Nice photo, clearer than most I've seen. Can I get some info on your cam? Looks like something I'd like to have. Brand and model and I can search.

Sun is doing a pretty decent number despite the snow and ice cover. Up to 34.0 now with a couple of hours of heating left. Figured this would be out high today but 36 looks more and more likely.

Sitting at 31.4 here, it's kind of a good thing though since all this ice is melting off the roads and they are drying up quick. While I know being out of work is fun lots of people don't get paid to stay home. I thought for sure with the snowpack though we would be colder today.

Nice photo, clearer than most I've seen. Can I get some info on your cam? Looks like something I'd like to have. Brand and model and I can search.

Looks like DaculaWeather saw this before me. I got mine for Christmas and it was easy to hook up plus the camera does all the FTP image uploading to my website automatically from the camera with no software to install on the PC which is nice.

Sun is doing a pretty decent number despite the snow and ice cover. Up to 34.0 now with a couple of hours of heating left. Figured this would be out high today but 36 looks more and more likely.

Just the opposite here, there has hardly been any melting at all with the exception of maybe a little from underneath. Visually, the only melting has been miniscule amounts near the edges but it's virtually nothing. The reason is obvious though, there is a layer of solid ice 0.50 to 0.75 thick on top of the snow. And even in areas with full sun, it's really hard and hasn't shown much, if any, signs of melting.

This is uncharted territory for me because I have never seen the snow cover this in tact after a full day of sun. Even if it was subfreezing the next day, Every snow I have ever seen mostly melts out in the fields the next day but not this time. From a distance at least, it looks like none of it has melted. Upon closer inspection, there might be an inch less than yesterday...but there is still a good 4 to 6 out there in the fields and 6 to 8 in the yard. I am impressed to say the least.

Hopefully this translates to some really cold temps tonight and tomorrow night. After seeing so little melt today, I don't expect to see much melt tomorrow, so I should have plenty for tomorrow night when we finally get a high overhead and good radiational cooling conditions...something we have failed to have really with the other cold spells. Although, the gfs and nam both think tomorrow morning will be the coldest. Although there will be mid level waa, I'm a little bit surprised given that winds should be calmer/calm thursday night/friday am

Haven't gotten above freezing here today. High has been 31 and it's back down to 30 now.

How accurate is your thermo? Mine is very accurate usually within 1 degree from what I can tell of surrounding sites. GSP is 34, CLT 35, AKH34, HKY 32, AVL 25

I have two and they are usually exactly the same as each other and they match up with the airports almost exactly a lot of times.I actually think the high here was like 34-35 (more towards 34) not 35-36, put the wrong numbers.

35 for me here in Chapel Hill. We have zero snow pack. The one inch of mixed snow and sleet that we got is mostly gone.

This was an interesting system and fun to track. Unfortunately there was not the payoff here. I'm pleased that a lot of deep south folks did get a good bit of snow though. Maybe we will get some the next go around.

You guys want to see what a boatload of snow looks like check this out. If I could get off and had some $ you can bet I'd have the family up there. Anyone heard how much joe has. I would like to hear his comparison from this winter to last. I think he went over a 100 last year and I'm sure he is on pace to repeat.

Check out the piles!

http://www.highcount...ch_Charlies.htm

You guys want to see what a boatload of snow looks like check this out. If I could get off and had some $ you can bet I'd have the family up there. Anyone heard how much joe has. I would like to hear his comparison from this winter to last. I think he went over a 100 last year and I'm sure he is on pace to repeat.

Check out the piles!

And from the TN side via Leconte

4954578.jpg?508

9517329.jpg?521

5379099.jpg?512

3646447.jpg?522

Just the opposite here, there has hardly been any melting at all with the exception of maybe a little from underneath. Visually, the only melting has been miniscule amounts near the edges but it's virtually nothing. The reason is obvious though, there is a layer of solid ice 0.50 to 0.75 thick on top of the snow. And even in areas with full sun, it's really hard and hasn't shown much, if any, signs of melting.

This is uncharted territory for me because I have never seen the snow cover this in tact after a full day of sun. Even if it was subfreezing the next day, Every snow I have ever seen mostly melts out in the fields the next day but not this time. From a distance at least, it looks like none of it has melted. Upon closer inspection, there might be an inch less than yesterday...but there is still a good 4 to 6 out there in the fields and 6 to 8 in the yard. I am impressed to say the least.

Hopefully this translates to some really cold temps tonight and tomorrow night. After seeing so little melt today, I don't expect to see much melt tomorrow, so I should have plenty for tomorrow night when we finally get a high overhead and good radiational cooling conditions...something we have failed to have really with the other cold spells. Although, the gfs and nam both think tomorrow morning will be the coldest. Although there will be mid level waa, I'm a little bit surprised given that winds should be calmer/calm thursday night/friday am

Haven't gotten above freezing here today. High has been 31 and it's back down to 30 now.

Reading through all the Ga. posts it is hard to believe we are in the same universe much less state :) I had clear streets by Mon mid day as far as tracks were concerned, and by yesterday they were all clear but come occasional crust. A lot of the roofs lost it yesterday, and the yards lost alot today as I was driving around. T

Check out the piles!

He said he had about 6 on the 10th which was on top of a foot and a half. T

Archived