• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
January Obs Thread III

strongwxnc

starting to get a little cabin fever here lol - still stuck at home. the main roads are apparently ok, if you can get to them! doesnt sound like much is moving again this morning - most are still in their neighborhoods.

I went for a drive yesterday afternoon around the northern part of my county all the way up to Woody Gap at 3,300 ft. There were a few snow covered parts going up to woody gap but the rest of the main roads were just dry.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went for a drive yesterday afternoon around the northern part of my county all the way up to Woody Gap at 3,300 ft. There were a few snow covered parts going up to woody gap but the rest of the main roads were just dry.

Yeah, yesterday they did a good job getting sand down on basically all the larger secondary roads here. Even on pure ice the sand makes a huge difference in traction. In neighborhoods it's rough though, the sand trucks and scrapers can't make it up and down the steep hills apparently. Fingers are crossed we can get some melting and drying of roads here, because my street is still a skating rink.

send the plows over here lol - they did the main streets, but no one can get out of their neighborhood to get on the main streets

Yeah, yesterday they did a good job getting sand down on basically all the larger secondary roads here. Even on pure ice the sand makes a huge difference in traction. In neighborhoods it's rough though, the sand trucks and scrapers can't make it up and down the steep hills apparently. Fingers are crossed we can get some melting and drying of roads here, because my street is still a skating rink.

can you get out or are you still iced/snowed in? atl was looking horrible still last night (havent checked this morning down there)

send the plows over here lol - they did the main streets, but no one can get out of their neighborhood to get on the main streets

can you get out or are you still iced/snowed in? atl was looking horrible still last night (havent checked this morning down there)

I'm still snowed in, can't make it up my driveway (and it's hard to shovel ice).

In the Triad, all but three school systems, including Guilford and Winston-Salem/Forsyth, have called off for Thursday. Chatham, Montgomery and Moore County schools are opening 2 hours late Thursday. Wow!

We closed today, and it's getting really boring at home. I think it's because of the Southern part of Davidson County, which per RAH NWS got 4-5"+. Still, its boring here.

I'm still snowed in, can't make it up my driveway (and it's hard to shovel ice).

ok i feel better! we have called the city and they said that there is nothing they can do, that their truck cannot make it into the neighborhood due to the ice (its several inches thick on the street). if youd told me last week that i would be snowed in for 4 day i would not have believed you lol

schools are closed today (day 4) and most likely will be tomorrow as well unless we get a lot of melting today

Another day and same cam image shot. The only melting is on south facing slopes.

Image on the left is from yesterday and image on the right is from today.

similar here. i dont think i have heard any dripping all week so far. maybe this afternoon!

We closed today, and it's getting really boring at home. I think it's because of the Southern part of Davidson County, which per RAH NWS got 4-5"+. Still, its boring here.

Agreed. I ventured out to friends' houses Tuesday and yesterday during the afternoon when there was enough wet (not icy) pavement to drive on, it was a pretty harrowing drive even though I borrowed my dad's AWD car. I did get some awesome sledding in, my friend's neighborhood has this massive ~75ft vertical hill that was pure ice.

ok i feel better! we have called the city and they said that there is nothing they can do, that their truck cannot make it into the neighborhood due to the ice (its several inches thick on the street). if youd told me last week that i would be snowed in for 4 day i would not have believed you lol

schools are closed today (day 4) and most likely will be tomorrow as well unless we get a lot of melting today

similar here. i dont think i have heard any dripping all week so far. maybe this afternoon!

I have been trapped myself because of my driveway. The hill is just slick as hell. Each time I've checked it out, I have fallen down...including this morning :arrowhead: My uncle came over yesterday in the middle of the afternoon when it was the least slick but despite having a 4 wheel drive he nearly didn't make it. But where he drove made it even slicker but I'm going to take the chance and try to this afternoon though, hoping the sun has allowed it to soften up a bit.

Up to 34 currently and am Starting to finally see the first signs of melting on the ground though in the field. And for the first time, there are some areas where the ice crust is softening. Of course, overall though there still won't be much melting...certainly not what I/we are used to in full sunny days. I'm really hoping that will be the case though for one more night because we FINALLY have a high overhead and the potential for great radiational cooling. And with a lot of snow/ice on the ground I really want to see how low we can go.

Models aren't terribly cold as you would expect, mainly low to mid teens again but the gfs is really cold over northern alabama with widespread single digits tomorrow morning. The reason is obvious, high overhead and calm winds. The gfs was too cold yesterday morning but very close this morning (low here was 14.5) and I'm not really sure why they aren't colder..even though there is slight mid level warm advection, there is a much better opportunity for radiational cooling compared to the previous two nights. In fact, the nam is only showing low 20s...that's hard to believe though. But it can't be dismissed since it's not been that far off the last two mornings. Can't really see why its' not colder with winds less than 3 or 4 knots even up to 950mb. So it will be interesting to see what happens.

Ha, I am also still trapped! I was supposed to be back in Cincy Tuesday. Still not happening. The funny thing is watching some melting taking place well it just runs down the driveway or the roads and is freezing! Even with sunshine. We also still have most of our snow! It is a whole different world walking down to the closet store and just seeing piles and piles 2 feet high of Snow where road crews have piled up on the sides of streets. I feel like I am in Snowshoe WV or something haha

Operation snow melt in full force here today. Temp has blown way past the 20s the GFS had me at today. Up to 37.3.:gun_bandana:

There are now bare spots on south sloping hill in my yard. Hoping to hold onto enough snow pack for tonight with the high overhead.

Really? only 31.5 here with a little melting

I'm thinking I have a legitimate shot at single digits tonight. We still have almost all of our snow and I'm very close to the high pressure. Clouds last night kept me from getting any lower than 19. I took a picture of a 6 or 7 foot snow pile in a Cartersville parking lot. I don't think I'll see any like that in a while. On the way home last night I had a moron blow by me in the ice covered fast lane. Very few people were using the lane and most of them had northern tags. This guy was in white Hummer with a GA tag. He kind of made me mad with how aggressive he was driving. Anyway, a few miles up the road he apparently went accross the highway and flipped down the embankment. He landed upright and was out talking to the cops. I'm glad the guy was alright but it is nice to see justice served in a way.

schools are closed here as well - i have been home bound since sunday, but hopefully tomorrow will be the day! just had an impromptu 'neighborhood meeting' (there are like less than 8 houses) and are going to hire a private contractor with big equipment to dig us out this evening....he should soon be on the way :scooter:

i am sure the hill will ice up again tonight, but hopefully tomorrow it can melt and then dry off so the refreezing should start coming to an end (jeesh, who would have thought i would have said that lol)

Awesome poster weatherkid. I hit 9 degrees two years ago. Before that I think I had to go back to 2003 when I hit 7 degrees to find single digits. There were still a lot of icy spots in the fast lane of 75. All of my snow is still in tack but some of the south slopes of my neighbors are melting. We hit 30.2 according to my thermometer. Ill take this type of la nina any year.

HA! I saw one today go down my road, but there was not reason as there was nothing but dry pavement on the road.

One went down my road to for the first time ever although it was completely dry ha. Probably because of the wreck on an adjacent road where there was a huge sheet of ice in the shaded part.

I didnt thin Etna was that active. Wow. Here it is a full 4 days after the storm and I almost got stuck at my parents house. They live and 50 acres in the middle of the woods so the road doesnt see much sun. It was great for sledding growing up but not good for driving. Most of it was a solid 1" sheet of ice with 2 tire grooves of thin clear ice. It took a lot of spinning but we made it. One of our neighbors abandoned her car at the top of our driveway. Who would have thought this long after the storm we would deal with this. I told my wife Im starting to feel like a yankee. I need to go eat some grits I guess.

I didnt thin Etna was that active. Wow. Here it is a full 4 days after the storm and I almost got stuck at my parents house. They live and 50 acres in the middle of the woods so the road doesnt see much sun. It was great for sledding growing up but not good for driving. Most of it was a solid 1" sheet of ice with 2 tire grooves of thin clear ice. It took a lot of spinning but we made it. One of our neighbors abandoned her car at the top of our driveway. Who would have thought this long after the storm we would deal with this. I told my wife Im starting to feel like a yankee. I need to go eat some grits I guess.

Haha, it's still pretty crazy out there. Now BOTH of my next door neighbors have wrecked into their own mailboxes...what are the chances (I guess you can thank the developers for making driveways with ~25% grades!). This time they had to their car towed, there was some moderate damage to the right front quarter :yikes:

It looks like roads will be largely fine tomorrow, but I'm sure there will still be some tricky spots in shaded areas and places where mel****er is pooling.

Archived