Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January Obs Thread III

strongwxnc

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went there one year 97-98. Saw the biggest snowstorm ever while there in January 98. It was supposed to rain, but we got over 2 feet. I measured 30" at my apartment on 421, with no drifts. Anyway, the GFS is close to snow in the mtns Saturday night or Sunday, then rain for everybody the next few days.

My younger brother was there that year. Didn't they impose a curfew and actually close the University? I know they had not closed it in years before that storm. Boone, NC and that area seems to be on another planet when it comes to weather. I saw some of the craziest weather, summer and winter, in my years there. If I'm not mistaken, my junior year, winter of 1996, Boone received close to seven feet of snow in just that winter.

That storm was amazing never in my life will I ever see snow flakes the size that were seen during that storm! looked like 3x5 index cards falling from the sky. Snowman.gif

I went there one year 97-98. Saw the biggest snowstorm ever while there in January 98. It was supposed to rain, but we got over 2 feet. I measured 30" at my apartment on 421, with no drifts. Anyway, the GFS is close to snow in the mtns Saturday night or Sunday, then rain for everybody the next few days.

It's a BMW, so you don't even have to feel sorry for the driver.

Oh come on, it's a 10 year old 5 series, not a 2010 3 series convertible driven by an upper middle class teen. I hate these stereotypes (mainly because I also drive a 10yo german car).

Does anyone know what caused the car to catch on fire? I'm thinking it had something to do with the transmission, but I don't know much.

Well we a least know one thing now, American Car companies know how to build a car that do a burn out and not catch on fire! When BMW was building that car they must of took the phase light em up seriously !

Oh come on, it's a 10 year old 5 series, not a 2010 3 series convertible driven by an upper middle class teen. I hate these stereotypes (mainly because I also drive a 10yo german car).

Does anyone know what caused the car to catch on fire? I'm thinking it had something to do with the transmission, but I don't know much.

Good Lord, it's hammertime here ! :snowman:

How much snow did you get from the Gulf Low on Monday? My professor spoke to a research partner up in Yancey County and they only ended up with a mere 2". Hope you did better Snowman.gif

Guess It won't matter too much if you end up with a foot over the next 24 hours haha.

How much snow did you get from the Gulf Low on Monday? My professor spoke to a research partner up in Yancey County and they only ended up with a mere 2". Hope you did better Snowman.gif

Guess It won't matter too much if you end up with a foot over the next 24 hours haha.

I ended up with about 6. He must live near the Toe River valley. They never get what most of tthe county does. Burnsville got about 5".

Haha, I know. It's not fair to assume; but some jerk in an E39 528i was trying to run me off the road because he didn't like how big my car was or something today. Had to post that.

I'm not sure what would have caused that. It looked like he might have been bouncing it off the rev limiter and the engine could have just given up. No bouncing-off-limiter noises, but he seemed to not understand that standing on the throttle wasn't going to help him any.

What a fun ride in. The highway was fine in Bartow and Cherokee counties. Once you got into Cobb they had plowed the snow into the left lane which melted back and refroze into the other lanes. It was drivable but the side streets were horrible. I went sideways 3 times. One of the times the car in front of me saw me spinning and hit their brakes. Too many morons around here. I pulled into the waffle house for some coffee (out at the house) and it turns out the waitress was from Bartow too. She was hating on the Cobb roads as well. Anyways, stay at home if you can.

What a fun ride in. The highway was fine in Bartow and Cherokee counties. Once you got into Cobb they had plowed the snow into the left lane which melted back and refroze into the other lanes. It was drivable but the side streets were horrible. I went sideways 3 times. One of the times the car in front of me saw me spinning and hit their brakes. Too many morons around here. I pulled into the waffle house for some coffee (out at the house) and it turns out the waitress was from Bartow too. She was hating on the Cobb roads as well. Anyways, stay at home if you can.

I'm debating going in. I have to take 575 down to 92, so its not too bad. My office is in NE cobb off Canton Highway. Simply can't get any work done at home with the family interupting.

21 degrees here

So far a 5 day weekend for me! We'll see what they do about schools tomorrow, I think much of the ice and snow should melt on the roads today, we have lots of sunshine today, we'll see though.

I'd put money that put here, we aren't going to school again until next Tuesday (MLK Holiday Monday). Its not suppose to be any warmer than yesterday, and when you see people skating on ice skates on your street, then the chances of going to school aren't that great. :P

I'm debating going in. I have to take 575 down to 92, so its not too bad. My office is in NE cobb off Canton Highway. Simply can't get any work done at home with the family interupting.

21 degrees here

I'm the same way. I took work home but I can't get anything done. The secondary roads are a b**ch. If you have front wheel drive you will be fine. I drive a Ranger so I spin if someone throws ice out of their window.

I'm the same way. I took work home but I can't get anything done. The secondary roads are a b**ch. If you have front wheel drive you will be fine. I drive a Ranger so I spin if someone throws ice out of their window.

I got front wheel drive, decided I'm going to the gym (right by my office) then into the office. Need to run about 10 miles to make up for all the snacking since the weekend

How much snow to yall have on the ground up here. I was looking at live video footage from Beach Mountain, and cars are completely surrounded by the snow. Crazy stuff.

There's no way to tell you an accurate measurement right now because of the wind. There are drifts to over 3ft. though.

If I can get my lazy butt out of bed today, I'll shoot some video.

Archived