Dump Trump
January Obs Thread III

strongwxnc

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My drizzle has been replaced with Light snow. :thumbsup::snowman:

:scooter: excellent! send it this way lol

Yes, very weird. Nothing on radar. Snowing lightly in Forest Park, GA right now and Fayetteville, GA. Bonus!

ditto. send it this way :snowman: thats great yall are seeing more snow - what an amazing couple of days

my dad is a doc and lives in athens. he is in shock - today is the first day he ever remembers all surgery being cancelled and both hospitals in athens effectively closed. they arent even sending out 4 WD to pick up the doctors - ERs only

there is nothing moving in town here - you cant hear any kind of machinery. i was joking last week with some friends about getting snow/ice and then cold but not sure i really bought it. now i can see us stuck for another day or so lol

Yeah athens, especially north athens, got hit the hardest of just about anywhere outside the mountains. That's bad news about the hospitals. I've been concerned for anyone who has medical emergencies since it's going to be so difficult to get to anyone.

I tell you what, another issue (as if we need anymore) is this ice falling off the trees now. It's breaking off pretty quick. It's not melting on the outside but rather from the inside so it's breaking off and it's piling up underneath pretty quick. To this is just going to add to the ice on the roads, especially secondary roads where trees cross over them.

It's pretty clear at this point, a lot of north georgia is going to be virtually shut down most of the week. The main interestates and highways might get cleared up some due to the dot but one has to believe these secondary roads are going to be a nightmare for several days.

from what i have been reading, pretty much atl to ath north is just about at a standstill. you see the pics and stories from london where they are 'shut down for a week due to snow and cold' and wonder (at least i do) how can that happen now? well this apparently is how lol

satellite is acting up so i went out to check, looks like we are back to frz drizzle with a few snow flakes mixed in :thumbsup: (thumbsup for the precip, of course, not the satellite lol. i can brush off snow, but nothing i can for ice :yikes:)

edited to add: winds seems to be picking up a little as well. the is really creaking in the trees

Still below freezing here, waiting on the light snow to start. Nothing on radar but estimating cloud height at 250-300 feet, wouldn't show up anyway. Even base reflectivity .5 tilt shows nothing.

A nice little flizzard has started up. The weather nerd in me is happy we aren't getting latent heat released into the air from freezing drizzle, the other part of me is frustrated that it won't warm up already so I can leave the house :arrowhead:

31.5 degrees

Union, SC

Snow is melting on roads. They are in awful shape though. Solid sheet of ice. I work Maintenance for the school system here in Union. Don't look for school to be open tomorrow. I will probably be working shoveling Ice and Snow trying to get the schools open for thursday.

I do not envy you folks. I bet some are working here in Rutherford County school were I work, today.

Yes, I do not see school opening tomorrow for students. Maybe staff but not students....

31.5 degrees

Union, SC

Snow is melting on roads. They are in awful shape though. Solid sheet of ice. I work Maintenance for the school system here in Union. Don't look for school to be open tomorrow. I will probably be working shoveling Ice and Snow trying to get the schools open for thursday.

Police have closed Stonewall and Tryon streets around Uptown Charlotte's Duke Energy Center because of ice falling from the 48-story office tower.

The ice can be heard cracking and, occasionally, large sheets or slivers are crashing to the ground or onto part of the building below.

: http://www.charlotte...##ixzz1Akg0ID7E

Interesting seeing these reports of scattered flurries over N Ga. Looking at the satellite loop below, one can see the sw to our NW that is just beginning to swing through. Looks to me that some decent lift is set to swing through later this afternoon and evening. Anyone think with this saturated air mass in place up through 900 mb we may see a surprise coating, or a bit more later today? I do.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/flash-avn.html

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/ruc/hr3/images/ruc_hlc_006l.gif

still a mix of frz drz and very light snow, although every now and then a few bigger flakes make it down lol

temp is 30.1 with no melting

It actually got really bright out about an hour ago but ever since, ceilings have dropped drizzle has started again and I think I might have seen a few tiny flakes.

Interestingly, the melting of ice on the trees has slowed. Owing to the thicker cloud cover I presume. Temp is 32. Absolutely no melting of the snow on the ground

Check out the radar north of the Mountains. That precip is trying hard to make its way down to NC.

I noticed that too. I know the Blacksburg office thinks Mt. Airy is going to see some light snow accumulations, maybe we can get that precipitation to move just a tad more south and give us some more snow.

Up to 35 here. I can hear the ice falling from the trees and roofs. Im so bored. I shoveled the driveway and cleaned up my woodshop so now my back is killing me. The snow on the ground doesnt appear to be melting much at all. My neighborhood road is just wet now. Ill find out about the other roads later. We have almost zero groceries now. One thing Ive loved is having a good 3 day fire going. This Hickory and Apple smells great.

Man alive. Just when you thought last night was bad, today looks significantly WORSE here. Previously I was able to walk around on my driveway and whatnot but this morning, even that was near impossible. I almost slipped about 8 times while trying to go take out the trash. :yikes: Right now it's just overcast, but did get a few bouts of freezing drizzle/sprinkles earlier. Sitting at 30°/38° DP. If I were anyone right now, I wouldn't DARE try to head out if you're leaving off of a secondary roadway. Had some vehicles nearly slip and slide into my ditch.

I've got light snow falling, pretty big flakes at that. I was just gawking at the euro run today and its gigantic outbreak, and decided to take a break and look outside. Haven't seen the radar yet, but it sure looks acitve a while yet. So much for the traditional la nina....you gotta love big blocking.

Archived