joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Obs Thread III

strongwxnc

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't feel bad. I have less than 1/2 inch. I seem to be just SE of whatever is going through Davidson county into Winston. Has been snowing for several hours but so lightly no accumulation occurs.

I missed alot of the action tonight after sunset. The southern part of our county got licked pretty hard this morning, Some folks ended up near 6 below Seagrove. I just hope this pattern atleast has one more big one in it. Been since Feb 2004 since I've seen a foot plus and like Wow I'm getting ancy/greedy.

so rockingham, NC was underestimated, we ended up with 8.7 inches and its still freezing raining. the best part of the day is watching the cars try to get up the steep hill in front of my house. spinning and sliding. people are crazy to just get out and ride like most of them are doing.

Someone called in 10" from there. Was that a weenie ob?

Wake county schools are only under a 2 hour delay so i guess its not as bad as i thought. Wow.

School systems usually do this to buy time to see whether they need to indeed go on with their scheduled day , or indeed close the system.

My wife is a teacher and this is the usual hell she has to go thru every year.:lmao:

About a half-inch of sneet on the ground here in the Bull City, light sleet still coming down. Durham County schools were on just a 1-hour delay last my wife checked. I can't see them going tomorrow if the forecast for light freezing rain all night pans out. I know they were probably embarassed by today, but come on.

Shifted over to a sleet/snow mix over the past hour. Everything is white -- road, grass, sidewalks -- but the total accumulation isn't staggering. May 1.5" tops. Roads aren't good and commuters might have trouble in the morning.

Edit: Back to all snow now. Quite steady in fact. Might see additional accumulation if this keeps up.

Seems to be more ZR than IP now in South Durham. The dusting on my deck is now coated in glaze and is extremely slick. Not sure what the school systems are waiting for. No one should be on any road tomorrow at 7:30 AM (which with a delay is when they start - doesnt gain you much of anything).

Seems to be more ZR than IP now in South Durham. The dusting on my deck is now coated in glaze and is extremely slick. Not sure what the school systems are waiting for. No one should be on any road tomorrow at 7:30 AM (which with a delay is when they start - doesnt gain you much of anything).

Listening to WZTK should be interesting in the morning. The kids are out of school in Guilford, but my wife will need to decide whether to go in to work.

Last post of the night folks, I'm dead. The thing that really amazes me the most about this banding is I go from dead calm winds and nothing but flurries to heavy snow in the blink of an eye. And as quick as the heavy snow starts, my flag goes horizontal. The winds are STRONG under these bands. Hence the "snowing like hell" comment from an earlier poster. You literally get a 5 minute white out.

A couple more bands and I'll hit 2". Kids will be happy tomorrow. I need sleep!

All mets......THANK YOU. I really don't know how you do this and your day jobs too!

:snowman:

Good ol' Brad and Britt :lmao:

If you love your wife,lol you'll have her stay home.

I'm setting my alarm for 6:00 to see what they say. My wife brought her PC home from work to do performance reviews or some such other. If we keep power, she's fine. If the power goes, I'll start the generator, but it's going for refrigeration and the basic. Wireless internet isn't life or death. ;)

Looks like there's one more round for my area for the night with the last bit of precipitation arriving out of the SW. Went outside a few minutes ago and let me tell ya, that snow has become EXTRA CRISPY and hard. Nearly slipped and fell from just taking a light step on the concrete. :yikes: I'd be careful about going outside if I were any of you. This ice means business but makes for great sledding for tomorrow! :snowman::sled:

Still remaining at 28° with continuous light NE winds.

Archived