EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January Obs Thread III

strongwxnc

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely an underperformer here, but I'm not complaining. It's still coming down at a drizzle rate. Even the pine trees barely have a glaze - needles are still upright. However, the roads/walkways have enough glaze to be a slick mess. Schools are on a 2-hour delay, but I expect they'll change to closings within the hour. I definitely wouldn't want a bunch of teenagers driving to school in this kind of situation.

Very icy out this morning and my work is on a two hour delay...not sure what they think is going to happen in two hours to melt all this ice.

They closed my office today but the joys of being able to telecommute requires me to still work. At least I can get out some and enjoy the snow and ice during breaks

My work in RTP is running on a normal schedule...so I grab the laptop, hit the VPN, and do some work. No way I'm going out on those roads, although here in RDU at least the major roads are apparently passable. Not seeing many brave souls out in the neighborhood, though.

Looks like our final total is under an inch of mixed snow/sleet. The trees have virtually no ice on them at all so I'm assuming there was very little freezing drizzle overnight, nowhere near the ice crust you guys to the southwest have gotten.

They closed my office today but the joys of being able to telecommute requires me to still work. At least I can get out some and enjoy the snow and ice during breaks

It's really pretty dumb. I know they think it's going to get warm enough to melt by 10:30....but it won't. Even busier secondary roads are going to have a hard time melting.

let me tell you the worse time to travel on this will be when the temp gets to 32, and just above. Its safer now, than then, because a micro-layer of water forms on the top of it, and you have ZERO traction, just pure spinning tires on a thin layer of water, and no control. So whats going to happen is there's going to be a slew of wrecks when the thaw comes, Its been a few years here since tis setup has happened and thats what usually happens. Happened to me in 2004 following a big CAD event and the roads were just glaze, I took out a row of mailboxes going just 10 mph. There was nothing I can do for about 100 yards when I saw I had no control,just brace for impact and wait for the collision. Completely powerless.

let me tell you the worse time to travel on this will be when the temp gets to 32, and just above. Its safer now, than then, because a micro-layer of water forms on the top of it, and you have ZERO traction, just pure spinning tires on a thin layer of water, and no control. So whats going to happen is there's going to be a slew of wrecks when the thaw comes, Its been a few years here since tis setup has happened and thats what usually happens. Happened to me in 2004 following a big CAD event and the roads were just glaze, I took out a row of mailboxes going just 10 mph. There was nothing I can do for about 100 yards when I saw I had no control,just brace for impact and wait for the collision. Completely powerless.

Yep, granted the main roads may be clear...they looked ok yesterday around 12....but from what I saw on the news even those had a glaze so I find it hard to believe even the main roads are safe.

Missed out on most of the action here, and judging from your pics and local reports, I'm glad we did. Neighborhood roads are wet, not icy. Cars are covered in ice, but just a barely visible glaze on trees. .22" melted in the gauge, with only 3/16" of frozen 'stuff' on the snowboard.

Snowfall map from FFC...

The joys on being surrounds in all directions with more totals. Perfect snow minimum hole right over me...LOL

Can't really argue much with that map. I'm on the right edge of the 8 to 10 near athens which is close enough.

Of course what is not shown on that map is ice accretion. I'll be honest, I'm happily surprised at how much I got...and most of it was from the non stop, 12 plus hours of freezing drizzle/mist. I'm not great at measuring accretion but there is probably 0.20 out there I would think. The cedars are all drooping and even the oaks are drooping. Will take some pics of them later. Even now there is still a light mist, though not nearly as heavy.

This snow pack now is something else..absolutely frozen solid. Like I said last night, You walk on it and cracks go in all directions but it's even harder of course after nighttime. It's going to be really interesting watching how fast all this stuff melts. Since this isn't your usual unprotected snow on top of warm ground here and with more cold air waiting in the wings.

Beautiful sight. Trying to soak it all in to my memory because I likely won't see anything like this again for a very long time.

Beautiful sight. Trying to soak it all in to my memory because I likely won't see anything like this again for a very long time.

we may have started the new PDO NAO cycle last year, or so. If so, we're heading back to a period similar to late 1950s-early 1970s' Winters, and this will be much more common.

FWIW, my obs: trace of snow on the event; 1/8" ice accrual. Still getting some occasional very light ZR. 31.1 degrees. The state highway in front of my house is free of ice, and traffic is moving along at 55 mph. Reckon it's office time for me. Storm fail. Congrats to all who got in on the action!

Woke up with 4.4" on the ground and a glazing of ice to boot! Better than the dusting I thought I was gonna end up with..phew! Also the road just looks like an extension of my yard. Can't really tell where the yard ends and the road begins. I was out driving and it was about 2-3" of compact ice and snow. :thumbsdown:

Okay just got in from walking around and all I can say is it is EPIC outside.... I was gone the winter of 2005 so I missed out on that ice in CLT but everything and I mean EVERYTHING right now is covered in a at least .25 of ice right now. Roads are especially bad I walked to the main road from my house and it is still snow covered with lots of ice on top. You can tell where the snowplow came through and scraped just what was lose on top.

Like foothills said around 1-2pm today when we get right up to 32-33 roads (especially secondary roads) will be almost unpassable. Take care out there everyone. It has been a long time since they have been this bad and even my neighbor from Buffalo said he tried to get to work and couldn't.

Can't really argue much with that map. I'm on the right edge of the 8 to 10 near athens which is close enough.

Of course what is not shown on that map is ice accretion. I'll be honest, I'm happily surprised at how much I got...and most of it was from the non stop, 12 plus hours of freezing drizzle/mist. I'm not great at measuring accretion but there is probably 0.20 out there I would think. The cedars are all drooping and even the oaks are drooping. Will take some pics of them later. Even now there is still a light mist, though not nearly as heavy.

This snow pack now is something else..absolutely frozen solid. Like I said last night, You walk on it and cracks go in all directions but it's even harder of course after nighttime. It's going to be really interesting watching how fast all this stuff melts. Since this isn't your usual unprotected snow on top of warm ground here and with more cold air waiting in the wings.

It is awesome. I've probably got .10" of ice. If the snow survives on the roads up here today then I bet schools will be closed the rest of the week as 20's for highs look likely up here Wed and Thursday. Expecting single digit lows to follow in that time also. Awesome!

Archived