• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January Obs Thread III

strongwxnc

I've got light snow falling, pretty big flakes at that. I was just gawking at the euro run today and its gigantic outbreak, and decided to take a break and look outside. Haven't seen the radar yet, but it sure looks acitve a while yet. So much for the traditional la nina....you gotta love big blocking.

With nothing showing on Radar. Schools are closed again wednesday in Union, SC. Ive got to be at work at 10:00. The shoveling and salting will begin trying to get schools open for Thursday. Hope you get at least another dusting Foothills. You deserve it.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got light snow falling, pretty big flakes at that. I was just gawking at the euro run today and its gigantic outbreak, and decided to take a break and look outside. Haven't seen the radar yet, but it sure looks acitve a while yet. So much for the traditional la nina....you gotta love big blocking.

Yeah, wouldn't it be something if the mother load of cold air the euro is showing up there broke loose? :guitar:

I can't believe it but for the first time ever, my road has been scraped by the dot!

I'm glad they did, because I needed to get some things done. But what a bizarre and surreal site seeing that. Damn do I love this storm :lol::snowman:

Ice is falling off the trees and shattering on impact with the snow crust. Pretty cool.

Its been above freezing here for several hours, an the roads have markedly improved since grounds crews have been able to treat them and expedite the melting process... secondary roads with no treatment are still not great though.

Just had a batch of light snow come through... looks like the main NWFS even should be getting started later tonight.

Temp: 33.8 degrees

Humidity: 89%

Yeah my temp is dropping, looks like the front has gone through. Down to 33.2 from a high of 35. West winds are picking up as well

I just took a look at the surface obs map, and the cold in the Plains is impressive. Its coming our way starting tonight, and tomorrow it probably won't get above 32 in ATL to here, with full sunshine. The next 2 days could be sub 32 for highs The early mornings are going to be brutally cold, and way colder than forecasted I think. I'm shooting for 5 Friday morning here and CLT.

I just took a look at the surface obs map, and the cold in the Plains is impressive. Its coming our way starting tonight, and tomorrow it probably won't get above 32 in ATL to here, with full sunshine. The next 2 days could be sub 32 for highs The early mornings are going to be brutally cold, and way colder than forecasted I think. I'm shooting for 5 Friday morning here and CLT.

That would be some epic cold. I'm thinking it won't get nearly that cold here; does 15 sound about right?

That would be some epic cold. I'm thinking it won't get nearly that cold here; does 15 sound about right?

for some reason this season (and last ) the northern piedmont hasn't been radiating too well. It could be the placement of the highs. The northeast TN location seems to really drain right here to CLT and I've bottomed out both years, both at my house and the airport, where just north of me and just southwest of me was sometimes 5 to 7 degrees warmer. But 15 is probably a safe bet there, but I wouldn't be suprised to see it lower a little. Snowcover would really help. Come to think of it if you have any subtantial snow cover I think it would be a little lower, maybe 12.

for some reason this season (and last ) the northern piedmont hasn't been radiating too well. It could be the placement of the highs. The northeast TN location seems to really drain right here to CLT and I've bottomed out both years, both at my house and the airport, where just north of me and just southwest of me was sometimes 5 to 7 degrees warmer. But 15 is probably a safe bet there, but I wouldn't be suprised to see it lower a little. Snowcover would really help. Come to think of it if you have any subtantial snow cover I think it would be a little lower, maybe 12.

I looked at the GFS initilization maps, it thinks we only have 1" of snow on the ground...maybe thats why it's warmer on it's extraction data.

accum.20110110.gif

Well, I did not have the 1-2 inches the map said. I would have been close to and inch if i add in the dusting that I got in the morning to what I got yesterday evening. Robert, did you indicate that the Euro said we were going to stay cold? I thought we were about done with winter based on the NAO forcast that I have been seeing every run of the GFS while tracking the models for this storm.

I had 1.4, looks like GSO got 1.5. They usually record less than I do, not this time. Being only about 6 miles from GSO as the crow flies it's amazing how different our measurements usually are.

I got 4.4 here in Lexington. That map says 3, but I triple measured. 4.4" on my official NWS snowboard.

Major props to Bartow county. Theyve done an excellent job on the roads. Even the publix parking lot has been plowed. Its so weird seeing 7 foot snow piles. Im used to seeing those at Newfound gap not near my house. I also noticed some rime ice on the tops of the small mountains around Emerson. Pretty cool. Tomorrow morning should be fun. The roads are so wet Im not sure they will dry in time. Currently 32 with occasional flurries.

temp is dropping (29.5) so our high today was 30.4 - with virtually no melting :thumbsup: noticed quite a few smaller limbs on the ground (easy to see with all the snow lol) as the winds are really picking up and the trees still ice covered.

doesnt appear much will be moving here over night or at least through tomorrow morning :snowman:

I think that some school systems will take the whole week off. They have been calling school here at around 2pm in the afternoon, Lol.

I think that the sun will really help melt and dry the roadways tomorrow. There's already some pavement showing on main roads around here, as long as there is some sunlight the roads will melt nicely. Even if temps are in the upper 20s. ATL metro area schools should be open Thursday, or on a 2 hour delay possibly. Places that really got dumped on, toward Athens and in some of the mountain counties, may be closed until Friday IMO.

Wow anybody see this in Alabama? Cleburne county is on I-20 on the Georgia/ Alabama border.

CIVIL EMERGENCY MESSAGE

CLEBURNE COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT

RELAYED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BIRMINGHAM AL

339 PM CST TUE JAN 11 2011

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE

CLEBURNE COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT. A COUNTY WIDE CURFEW HAS

BEEN ESTABLISH FOR ALL NON ESSENTIAL TRAVEL FROM 7 PM THIS TUESDAY

NIGHT THROUGH 7 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING AROUND SUNRISE.

Archived