Newest Member
    EWR757
January Obs Thread III

strongwxnc

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL Lookout!

But yes I of course as you know were forecasting 5-10 across NW GA and honestly I am still looking out the window in shock! Mr. Bob I think was telling me Sunday on here about this was a common thing back in the 80s of looking at a storm 4-5 days out and being able to see it printing out large amounts and just going with that forecast because it just happens. Man it has been nice the past few weeks to see two BIG storms coming well in advance forecast it and just watch it happen. Very nice! And yes FFC I think did a great job with that map as most people in my viewing area(NW GA counties) are all basically reporting 8-10 inch amounts. I see no possible way for the kids to head back to school this week with the Arctic blast moving in tonight..Highs tomorrow and Thursday around here are going to be in the mid 20s with single digit lows WOW it will be below freezing till the weekend basically!

On another weather note. Looks like the deeper moisture is coming in now from Bama right at the border and the Freezing Drizzle is switching over now to snow showers. I expect this trend to continue late morning and this afternoon across North GA.:snowman:

Yeah in fact all of these snowstorms have been forecasted very well pretty far out in advance. We had some swings in the models to be sure but as you said it's been great seeing things play out in our favor each time. So many times we have had potential storms end up trending north and leaving us too warm or we come within a degree of something special. It's been incredibly nice not having to worry about temps with any of these systems. Just amazing when you think about it.

While I'm thinking about it though, the euro didn't do so well with precip here as we drew closer. It looks like areas around here/athens picked up 0.65 to 0.75 while the euro had dropped totals to only a little over 0.25 a day or so before the storm. So something to keep in mind if we have another storm and the euro is lighter than the other models.

And a correction from my earlier post, it gets really cold starting tonight. Gfs showing lows in the lower teens tomorrow morning. Man that ice is going to be hard as a rock.

Already starting to see some melting in the trees now, despite temp at 31. Solar insolation doing it's thing. A little surprised to see snow being reported based on forecasted soundings in rome. They look a bit warm and there is no moisture being shown in the -10c region. Cold air must be a little ahead of schedule.

Wow that is impressive!

Imagine that but not being able to see the dark colored car parked behind the little tree in the daytime because the nickel-sized flakes were coming down so hard.......$150 fine then to be caught out w/o 4WD & chains and then had to be either emergency personnel or getting staff back and forth to the hospital or other essential travel.

3 times in Boone, NC between the late '60's & mid '70's.

Can't really argue much with that map. I'm on the right edge of the 8 to 10 near athens which is close enough.

Of course what is not shown on that map is ice accretion. I'll be honest, I'm happily surprised at how much I got...and most of it was from the non stop, 12 plus hours of freezing drizzle/mist. I'm not great at measuring accretion but there is probably 0.20 out there I would think. The cedars are all drooping and even the oaks are drooping. Will take some pics of them later. Even now there is still a light mist, though not nearly as heavy.

This snow pack now is something else..absolutely frozen solid. Like I said last night, You walk on it and cracks go in all directions but it's even harder of course after nighttime. It's going to be really interesting watching how fast all this stuff melts. Since this isn't your usual unprotected snow on top of warm ground here and with more cold air waiting in the wings.

Beautiful sight. Trying to soak it all in to my memory because I likely won't see anything like this again for a very long time.

similar to here - about .20 ice, the trees are noticeably bending over and neither of my dogs broke though unless they jumped. you could see the cracks moving out in slow motion when you step on it :lol: this storm had it all, including blowing and drifting (which is now iced in place). not a sound this morning, no dripping, no cars. the courthouse is closed and county shut down. and they never close court! we had several hours of light freezing rain before the freezing drizzle, which really helped get everything covered.

best part? i didnt lose power!

LOL. To be honest i was pissed off the first half of the day yesterday because this thing underperformed big time IMBY from what was progged to happen. .31" liquid snow QPF.:thumbsdown:

I'm over it now for the most part. Gonna be cool to see how long it lasts. I bet there will still be good cover on Saturday to Sunday.

:( thats a bummer. after i finally convinced myself i would break a foot i didnt, then realized i was as happy as could be with the storm. i am still in a daze, and guess i need to check radars and whatnot. we might see something else today (or will i be downsloped if its a clipper system).

as others have mentioned, these last two years have been nothing short of amazing after our griping for years. the number of snowfalls is in double digits, the number of biggies (3,4" or more) has been more than 5!!! when i add up the snowfall its hard to believe it really happened

:( thats a bummer. after i finally convinced myself i would break a foot i didnt, then realized i was as happy as could be with the storm. i am still in a daze, and guess i need to check radars and whatnot. we might see something else today (or will i be downsloped if its a clipper system).

as others have mentioned, these last two years have been nothing short of amazing after our griping for years. the number of snowfalls is in double digits, the number of biggies (3,4" or more) has been more than 5!!! when i add up the snowfall its hard to believe it really happened

I had 1 (this storm).:gun_bandana:

Surprised to see that ground temps are still well above freezing across GA which explains the lower accumulations on roads and more slushyness.

http://www.griffin.uga.edu/aemn/cgi-bin/AEMN.pl?site=AAAA&report=XS

It's funny you mention it because I was going to. I saw it a few minutes ago and was somewhat surprised. But it does make sense when you think about it. The snow has been able to insulate the ground and trap the heat from the solar insolation yesterday/this morning. After tonight though, I would expect that to change with temps getting so low. Interesting to note though the ground temps now are warmer than when the storm started..they were generally 33 or 34 at the time of onset.

FYI if it helps anyone in my area:Re-routed trip to work. Made it to new 49(old is closed) 220 to 311. Treacherous. Even 220/311 wasnt in best of shape. It was as bad driving conditions as Ive ever expierenced until I got to 49 and found some make-shift tracks. Concrete hard 1+inch thick solid ice. 4x4 no match. Getting small flurries up here or snizzle, not sure what it is.

Probably attemp 109 to 64 this afternoon, but once off 64 not sure how those 6 miles will unfold.

It's funny you mention it because I was going to. I saw it a few minutes ago and was somewhat surprised. But it does make sense when you think about it. The snow has been able to insulate the ground and trap the heat from the solar insolation yesterday/this morning. After tonight though, I would expect that to change with temps getting so low. Interesting to note though the ground temps now are warmer than when the storm started..they were generally 33 or 34 at the time of onset.

That's interesting, I measured roughly 4" on the road/driveway yesterday morning. Looks like we're down to about 2" on the road and a bit more on the driveway though.

Those GA soil temps arent always accurate. Ive had them show my soil in the mid to upper 30s before but the ground was so frozen I couldnt crack it with a shovel. That said the roads are melting here pretty good.

They can vary and be inconsistent sometimes and a lot of it depends on where they are measuring it. It's clear that some times that the location of measurement can create inaccurate results...for example if the measurement is in a shaded or sun lit location. It's really apparent in the summer time when you have some stations way higher than others right next to them. The daniesville station northeast of athens is one of the worst at this.

But Keep in mind it's the temperature at 2 inches below the surface. The actual surface can be frozen but just a little ways down it can be warmer.

I had 1 (this storm).:gun_bandana:

only this past storm gave you that much? wow - :thumbsdown: that really does suck! hopefully the next one will get yby

Light snow

awesome! several reports of light snow and nothing on radar :( that means mby will be in the dark and i cant watch to see if it might make it here lol

i assume most of it wont, models tend to keep the moisture at the higher elevations

It's pretty amazing to see the local news interviewing truck drivers who have said they have never seen roads so bad or traffic so piled up due to snow..and these guys go all over the country. For those in nc who don't get atlanta stations, Atlanta is an absolute mess right now. Cars stranded for miles on some interstates..and some have been stuck in their vehicles for more than 24 hours.

And to think tomorrow might be worse with all the refreezing.

It's pretty amazing to see the local news interviewing truck drivers who have said they have never seen roads so bad or traffic so piled up due to snow..and these guys go all over the country. For those in nc who don't get atlanta stations, Atlanta is an absolute mess right now. Cars stranded for miles on some interstates..and some have been stuck in their vehicles for more than 24 hours.

And to think tomorrow might be worse with all the refreezing.

my dad is a doc and lives in athens. he is in shock - today is the first day he ever remembers all surgery being cancelled and both hospitals in athens effectively closed. they arent even sending out 4 WD to pick up the doctors - ERs only

there is nothing moving in town here - you cant hear any kind of machinery. i was joking last week with some friends about getting snow/ice and then cold but not sure i really bought it. now i can see us stuck for another day or so lol

Sitting at 33 here on day two of no work for the Wife and I.

Roads looks bad but cars are traveling. I assume local schools will also be called tomorrow due to refreezing tonight. As an school employee, I hope they give the option to work. As my ass will drive the truck to the office :bike:

Anyway, great -obs disco folks. Looks like the folks in GA are really having issues on the roads!!

We finally have a storm where you needed to get bread and milk before it hit!!!

lol

Archived