• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
January Obs Thread III

strongwxnc

Where are my northwest flow fellas at... light snow starting up here again as the temperature drops... looks like the greater Asheville area might pick up an inch if we are lucky!

Temp: 29.1 degrees

Humidity: 74% but rising.

Right here with you Phil. Weaverville obs Temp. 27.5° Wind 12.5 NNW Humidity 77% Light to Moderate Snow.

Hoping to get at least 2.75" as this would put me at 80" for last year & this year!

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are my northwest flow fellas at... light snow starting up here again as the temperature drops... looks like the greater Asheville area might pick up an inch if we are lucky!

Hey Phil, Johnson City TN observation here. Around an hour ago we had a band of snow come across and drop over an inch in 35 minutes. With stiff winds gusting from 20-30 miles per hour it was almost a whiteout. We look to have more bands developing to our west and moving ese. Hope we can get under a couple of more of these tonight. The mountains should get some good rates tonight and tomorrow. Wouldn't be surprised to see someone get another 6-10" out of this setup.

Congrats AshevilleDon: I have fond memories of Weaverville. We left south GA when I was 5 and I grew up there until I was 11 in the mid-late 70's. That is what turned me into the snow-hound I am today. Always remember getting tons of 1-3 inch snows along with some big ones, watching Bob Caldwell smoke a pipe and give the weather on wlos 13. For weather maps he would roll like minature closet doors with what looked like velcro symbols on them for temps, HP's,LP's e.t.c. Those where the days, no one ever new even when a upslope event was coming, let alone a big storm.

You're almost at 80" total last + this year? Wow! How far from downtown are you?

Robert, I am right off 19-23 before just before you get to Weaverville. Moved here in March of 03. The biggest storm we had before last Winter was about 7"with alot of frustration as far as snow goes. We have been really lucky the past Winter & this one. We seem to be just far enough N to cash in on some pretty good flow events.(pretty dramatic cutoff between here & Town sometimes)And just far enough S to get good snows from the Gulf lows. For just the Dec. 18 2009 storm 17" & the Dec. 25 2010 storm 13.5" I have 30.5" of my total. I have been in the Asheville area since May 99 and as you know we have suffered some really tough snow years! So it is nice to make it up & then some.

Hey guys.

I might have to drive from Charlotte to Rocky Mount tomorrow.

Can anyone comment on what road conditions i might expect? I really need this info.

Dont come up 49 to 64. Hwy 49 is still a mess. Take 85 /40/64 and youll be in good shape. Crossed over 85 late this afternoon leaving High Point cutting down through Thomasville and traffic was moving normal speed, Roads where soaking wet, but no slush piles where visible. You should fare well after the sun comes up I'd think

Congrats AshevilleDon: I have fond memories of Weaverville. We left south GA when I was 5 and I grew up there until I was 11 in the mid-late 70's. That is what turned me into the snow-hound I am today. Always remember getting tons of 1-3 inch snows along with some big ones, watching Bob Caldwell smoke a pipe and give the weather on wlos 13. For weather maps he would roll like minature closet doors with what looked like velcro symbols on them for temps, HP's,LP's e.t.c. Those where the days, no one ever new even when a upslope event was coming, let alone a big storm.

Thanks SNOW! Miss getting up to Bob on the WLOS morning show & his outdoor segment on the Fri. evening newscast....come to think of it those might have been the only good things on that station.

I would really like one of them sqall bands to pull through here and drop some more snow accumulation..

Their actually breaking containment on the last frame of radar. They will be very isolated, and the guys along the state line up into VA stand the best chance. First one up is Big Frosty. It would be nice to get a dusting and get better traction tomorrow morning, but I aint holding my breath.

Their actually breaking containment on the last frame of radar. They will be very isolated, and the guys along the state line up into VA stand the best chance. First one up is Big Frosty. It would be nice to get a dusting and get better traction tomorrow morning, but I aint holding my breath.

Per the GSP radar, there appears to be a band pulling through the mountains, looks like it may hit Hickory in an hour or so. If that were to be the case, it would make it here around 1130-ish. But I'm like you, Im definitely not holding my breath.

Don't think they will make it here either ? Might eek out a flurrie or two, I been watching radar but they dry up soon as they reach surry county, Thanks to good ole downslope :arrowhead:

Don't think they will make it here either ? Might eek out a flurrie or two, I been watching radar but they dry up soon as they reach surry county, Thanks to good ole downslope :arrowhead:

I thought with our moist low levels we had a slim chance to offset the downslope and squeeze a shower out somewhere. Looks like climbing 77 up to fancy gap is getting a pretty good echoe right now. In laws got a farm just a few miles east, maybe the cows will have some company from mother nature tonight.

Looks like those Snow Squalls from Nashville may just make there way into NW GA after all tonight. :icon_cool

Hytop radar

Nashville Radar

Man I would love for those to make it to MBY. :snowman: On another note, The roads are starting to refreeze and are incredibly slick :unsure: While I hate for those who have to travel on it, its gonna make for some pretty sick sledding on the streets on this baby...

post-777-0-66247300-1294800857.jpg

it does look like some snow will be able to cross teh ridges more than usual, b/c the flow is more west than nw so far, and we have low level moisture more than usual. You can see it making eastward progress more than usual, so flurries all the way to HKY and Frosty's is very possible tonight. The mtns of NC and TN are about to get slammed. . The flow is more diffluent than usual thanks to the 5h trough moving overhead, that will only help with the extra lift.

Man I would love for those to make it to MBY. :snowman: On another note, The roads are starting to refreeze and are incredibly slick :unsure: While I hate for those who have to travel on it, its gonna make for some pretty sick sledding on the streets on this baby...

They still sale those sleds with runners? I remember back in the day, not only did you have to pray for snow, but youd have to wait on some cars to pack it down good on the streets in order to maximize those sleds. My kids have all these plastic ones, that I would have killed for because they flat out fly.

They still sale those sleds with runners? I remember back in the day, not only did you have to pray for snow, but youd have to wait on some cars to pack it down good on the streets in order to maximize those sleds. My kids have all these plastic ones, that I would have killed for because they flat out fly.

I got this about 4 years ago... I'm only 14 by the way so... I still have fun when it snows :P

Here is a video of me walking through the old town of Gastonia from this evening. It was pretty good but quite a treacherous one with all the ice, especially near the end of the video (I almost slipped here at the 8:14 mark). The black ice was terrible to try to see while filming and walking.

It was creepy how the streets were so deserted. Like the Twilight Zone.

Archived