wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January Obs Thread III

strongwxnc

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here. Good bit of snow around (N facing places)

Went to Arden and Hendersonville yesterday and alot of snow is still around.

34 here and there was still some snow on the ground this morning even after the rain, pretty neat to see even if it is the last remnants left on the ground.

37 and light rain, fog and drizzle. the rain has zapped a lot of the snow! now we just have patches left :gun_bandana:

It rained here yesterday from about 2pm to 10pm..picked up nearly a half inch and it really did a number on the snow. It melted the ice crust that was on top and that's the death nail for the snow as that was what was protecting it so well. There are still patches left and some of them are large like in part of my front yard that is shielded from the sun by cedar trees. Also some big patches left on the edge of the field protected by either the trees or a hill. And there is even a small patch still left on my roof. How, I have no idea lol

It's actually quite astonishing that after 8 hours of significant rain, there is any left at all. The patches are large enough though to last until tomorrow, which would give me 10 straight days of snow on the ground. That's awesome but if not for that rain, I think it would have lasted several more days at the incredibly slow rate it was melting.

But back in the fall, who would have thought there would be snow on the ground for 10 days in a row and 15 days altogether for some of us? I think it's safe to say no one. Assuming that the reasonable time we might could get snow in georgia is from dec 10 to march 10 (from larry IIRC), that means a whopping 15% of the winter will have had snow on the ground if we don't get another flake. But even more incredible is up until this date, it's an incredible 40% of the time this winter with snow on the ground. If that isn't impressive for Georgia I don't know what is.

It rained here yesterday from about 2pm to 10pm..picked up nearly a half inch and it really did a number on the snow. It melted the ice crust that was on top and that's the death nail for the snow as that was what was protecting it so well. There are still patches left and some of them are large like in part of my front yard that is shielded from the sun by cedar trees. Also some big patches left on the edge of the field protected by either the trees or a hill. And there is even a small patch still left on my roof. How, I have no idea lol

It's actually quite astonishing that after 8 hours of significant rain, there is any left at all. The patches are large enough though to last until tomorrow, which would give me 10 straight days of snow on the ground. That's awesome but if not for that rain, I think it would have lasted several more days at the incredibly slow rate it was melting.

But back in the fall, who would have thought there would be snow on the ground for 10 days in a row and 15 days altogether for some of us? I think it's safe to say no one. Assuming that the reasonable time we might could get snow in georgia is from dec 10 to march 10 (from larry IIRC), that means a whopping 15% of the winter will have had snow on the ground if we don't get another flake. But even more incredible is up until this date, it's an incredible 40% of the time this winter with snow on the ground. If that isn't impressive for Georgia I don't know what is.

It is extremely impressive. Add in last years snow on the ground and it's over a month! I would never have thought this even in early nov lol

Still raining but still have snow left, even in open fields. Without the rain it could have been 2weeks with snow. Some of the piles probably won't be totally gone by Sunday (at least I hope so)

I fell on the ice and hit my head on the concrete this morning. I thank God that I was not knocked out, but I am going to the doctor to get checked out.

Damn man that sucks. I feel you though, I stepped out of the garage this morning, and basically skated across the driveway. It's a shame we won't have school when the roads are clear, but when the roads are actually icy, they don't delay, and a bus ends up in a ditch..:thumbsdown:

We still have some very anemic patches left. I feel obligated to look for them as I drive.

I thought I was the only one that does this :lol:

I fell on the ice and hit my head on the concrete this morning. I thank God that I was not knocked out, but I am going to the doctor to get checked out.

Ouch....I hope you feel better soon :(

Lookout.....I agree....,this winter has been amazing :wub:

I thought I was the only one that does this :lol:

Ouch....I hope you feel better soon :(

Lookout.....I agree....,this winter has been amazing :wub:

You can add me to that list of looking too lol.

I have some sad news to report, all of my snow is now officially gone. Time of death approximately noon eastern. Funeral services will be held tomorrow in honor of this great snow who was so tough, resilient and fought the evil warmth with courage to defy the odds and survive. Sadly, it was attacked and drowned by the most evil of winter forces, rain. May it rest in peace. *Play sad funeral music here*. :(

click as much as you want

I have some sad news to report, all of my snow is now officially gone. Time of death approximately noon eastern. Funeral services will be held tomorrow in honor of this great snow who was so tough, resilient and fought the evil warmth with courage to defy the odds and survive. Sadly, it was attacked and drowned by the most evil of winter forces, rain. May it rest in peace. *Play sad funeral music here*. :(

I feel like writing a eulogy for my snow as well. My dear loved one passed shortly after midnight last night. She had a long life though the last few days were a struggle. She was greatly anticipated coming into this world and surrounded by loved ones until the end. She passed back into the ground and eventually into the atmostphere to bring her joy to someone else down the road.

:lol: ditto! i have been sadly watching the few remaining anemic patches. and guess what? we still have a little lol. granted, not a lot, but on the sides of the roads, areas no hit by the sun, and parking lot piles. so we still ahve a little on the ground :scooter: of course i would love to add more frozen precip to the totals tonight through early next week

Archived