Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
May Discobs 2024

George BM

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Morning looks wet. Afternoon still probably mostly dry but not enough for outdoor activities.

Maybe?    The GFS dries things out quickly, but most of the regional models stay wet until much later in the afternoon.     But yeah, either way it won't be a good afternoon for outside stuff.

10 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I could just write “cloudy with drizzle, highs in the 60’s” for the Calvert forecast and be right probably about 300 days of the year now. :lol:

We just bought a rowhome in NW DC (Bloomingdale) as a "city home" getaway to have...or at least that's what my wife thinks.  Really it's an "escape the eastern flow" getaway.  I think I'll just stay up there every March-May from now on.  

2 hours ago, IronTy said:

We had our one nice day of the week allotment yesterday...be prepared for another long stretch of crap weather and low clouds.

It will pass soon enough, to be replaced by months of relentless heat and humidity. I will enjoy the coolish, cloudy days while it lasts.

• Like 1

mcd0283.gif

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/metwatch/metwatch_mpd_multi.php?md=0283&yr=2024

Mesoscale Precipitation Discussion 0283
NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD
135 PM EDT Fri May 17 2024

Areas affected...Portions of the Central Appalachians/Blue Ridge

Concerning...Heavy rainfall...Flash flooding possible

Valid 171735Z - 172335Z

SUMMARY...Slow-moving shower activity with heavy rainfall rates
will tend to increase in coverage this afternoon across areas of
the central Appalachians including parts of the Blue Ridge. This
coupled with moist antecedent conditions will promote a threat for
some instances of flash flooding.

DISCUSSION...A broad mid to upper-level trough over the OH Valley
will continue to move gradually off to the northeast today toward
the central Appalachians. Some generally weak DPVA/forcing
associated with this will be interacting with modest
diurnally-enhanced instability and a relatively moist airmass for
broken areas of heavy showers.

Radar imagery already shows some locally heavy shower activity
impacting areas of southeast OH into southwest PA and down through
central WV as the leading edge of relatively stronger forcing
aloft arrives. Some expansion of this activity with a general
increase in rainfall rates can be expected this afternoon as
MUCAPE values increase to locally over 1000 J/kg and couple with
smaller scale areas of more targeted moisture convergence in
vicinity of a quasi-stationary front draped over the higher
terrain.

Relatively moist southeast flow will also provide a localized
orographic component to the rainfall threat with southeast-facing
slopes of the central Appalachians and portions of the Blue Ridge
seeing pockets of more focused low-level forcing for slow-moving,
but heavy shower activity.

The rainfall rates should be efficiently high given the overall
depth of moisture through the vertical column which was evidenced
in 12Z RAOB data across the broader OH Valley this morning in
connection to the aforementioned trough. The modest increase in
instability will favor some shower activity capable of producing
rainfall rates of 1 to 1.5 inches/hour with the stronger cells.

Given the overall weak steering flow, and orographic nature of
some of the convection, there may be a sufficient level of
persistence to the showers to yield some excessive totals. This is
being supported by the 12Z HREF guidance which suggests some of
the heavier rates focusing over parts of southwest PA through the
eastern WV/MD panhandles and northwest VA in vicinity of the Blue
Ridge. Some spotty 2 to 3+ inch rainfall totals will be possible
by early this evening, and with moist antecedent conditions/lower
FFG values in place, some instances of flash flooding will be
possible.

Orrison

ATTN...WFO...CTP...LWX...PBZ...RLX...RNK...

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

It will pass soon enough, to be replaced by months of relentless heat and humidity. I will enjoy the coolish, cloudy days while it lasts.

I’m prepared to complain about relentless heat while complaining about relentless cloud cover :)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Interstate said:

Another weekend of canceled baseball.  My son has played 5 games and had 4 rainouts.

The weekend patterns have been yuck for sports. The younger Ms J was supposed to have a horse show all weekend. It was postponed for the safety of the horses and riders. They show in rain but not pouring rain that would slick up the footing. 

6 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

The weekend patterns have been yuck for sports. The younger Ms J was supposed to have a horse show all weekend. It was postponed for the safety of the horses and riders. They show in rain but not pouring rain that would slick up the footing. 

I'm driving up to Annapolis to pick up a new motorcycle tomorrow morning, I'm sure heavy rain is a lock for the AM ride home.  

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Jrlg1181 said:

A flood watch down here ? 

Wow - That's about the same as a winter storm watch for the I95 corridor... These things dont happen much anymore...

When the Watch was issued this morning, I flashed it in my newsletter with an advisory that the blend had diminished overnight from 1.02" down to .86" thru 00z 11-20.   Who is correct at this hour, the models or the mets. at Sterling????  No contest.......... But 2 am has not arrived.............

3 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

We have relatives coming in from south FL tomorrow.  They are gonna feel like they've landed in Scotland LOL

Can't believe tomorrow, MAY 18, will be the fourth straight Saturday of rain and highs in the 50s

Some of our recent weather reminds me of Summer in UK. I was there for two weeks in early August last year and I loved it. There was quite a bit of sun mixed in with cloudy damp days, but the warmest was a few days in the mid 70s. Best part is I was able to delete 2 weeks of experiencing protracted heat and humidity by not being here lol. It was gross returning to Philly and sweating on the shuttle from the Airport to the parking spot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stormy said:

When the Watch was issued this morning, I flashed it in my newsletter with an advisory that the blend had diminished overnight from 1.02" down to .86" thru 00z 11-20.   Who is correct at this hour, the models or the mets. at Sterling????  No contest.......... But 2 am has not arrived.............

Yeah and my expectations of a another dud is looking more like the usual reality... Will see later 2nght if any legit rain occurs...

3 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

We have relatives coming in from south FL tomorrow.  They are gonna feel like they've landed in Scotland LOL

Can't believe tomorrow, MAY 18, will be the fourth straight Saturday of rain and highs in the 50s

It could be worse, it could be like Hong Kong when I had to air swim to my Airbnb.

6 hours ago, CAPE said:

Some of our recent weather reminds me of Summer in UK. I was there for two weeks in early August last year and I loved it. There was quite a bit of sun mixed in with cloudy damp days, but the warmest was a few days in the mid 70s. Best part is I was able to delete 2 weeks of experiencing protracted heat and humidity by not being here lol. It was gross returning to Philly and sweating on the shuttle from the Airport to the parking spot.

i remember once flying back to NYC from the UK.  We landed at JFK around 11pm and the flight attendant upon landing gave the time and the local temp of 86F / 30C.  All the Brits were like "WTF???"  I laughed and was like yeah welcome to NYC in July.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CAPE said:

When we lived in Los Angeles for a couple of years we got introduced to June gloom. Happens when the marine layer pushes in and does not burn off. 

• Like 3

lol it’s barely rained. Yes I see the radar, but jeez…can see the sun rising. It better pour for a couple hours. I’m not hearing it for four hours from a bunch of randos how “they” don’t know what they’re talking about.

• Haha 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic