Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
May Banter 2024

George BM

1 hour ago, yoda said:

It's been 28 years since Twister came to theaters?  Wow

I think some of the CGI effects hold up fairly well when still watching the original movie...particularly when the big ole twister is tearing up the barn during the last 20 min of that film. Just watched the sequel trailer...looks like the same formula, the same cringe-tastic dialogue, but that's alright because we're just here for the scenes of destruction and mayhem, right??  ;) 

Actually, some of the most effective scenes in movies like this are the suspenseful slow burn build to the mayhem -- e.g., seeing Aunt Meg's buzzsaw-shaped windmills (great choice, BTW, for your front yard in OK's tornado alley!) spinning faster and faster in the first film in advance of something coming in the night, or the new sequel's apparent rodeo scene where everyone feels bits of debris raining down and then all spectators simultaneously get the cell phone warning . Yikes!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

I think some of the CGI effects hold up fairly well when still watching the original movie...particularly when the big ole twister is tearing up the barn during the last 20 min of that film. Just watched the sequel trailer...looks like the same formula, the same cringe-tastic dialogue, but that's alright because we're just here for the scenes of destruction and mayhem, right??  ;) 

Actually, some of the most effective scenes in movies like this are the suspenseful slow burn build to the mayhem -- e.g., seeing Aunt Meg's buzzsaw-shaped windmills (great choice, BTW, for your front yard in OK's tornado alley!) spinning faster and faster in the first film in advance of something coming in the night, or the new sequel's apparent rodeo scene where everyone feels bits of debris raining down and then all spectators simultaneously get the cell phone warning . Yikes!

Twisters looks like a bad remake of Into The Storm and Twister... You cannot remake a classic storm movie...lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Interstate said:

Twisters looks like a bad remake of Into The Storm and Twister... You cannot remake a classic storm movie...lol

I fear you may be right. Twister was cheesy on paper, but was improved with the (then pretty good) CGI SFX, and then really took it home with the leading combo of Paxton/Hunt, backed up by a talented and likeable supporting cast. Gonna be hard for the Twisters crew to capture the same lightning in a bottle (ha ha)...the blonde dude from Twisters seems to keep playing the same character, or slight variation thereof, that he did in Top Gun Maverick.

I'm sure I'll at least rent the new sequel. But I can find a silver lining in most cinematic clouds...I'm one of those few people who mostly enjoyed the Pacific Rim sequel several years back, when the Rotten Tomatoes critics and audience scores (and still are!) in the tank...  ;) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

It’s funny because the cringe-tastic dialogue is mostly stuff only weather people will cringe at. Everyone else is probably thinking: “yeah, that makes sense.”

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Rhino16 said:

It’s funny because the cringe-tastic dialogue is mostly stuff only weather people will cringe at. Everyone else is probably thinking: “yeah, that makes sense.”

Yesss!! I noticed in the new trailer, too, that a presumably upgraded version of "Dorothy," complete with a new set of aluminum can copter blade-fitted plastic sensors will be making another appearance...  :D 

Today ends our families time in K-12 education. The youngest Miss J. was dropped off for the last day of school for Seniors here in Frederick Co. The front entrance was pranked out and she informed us that there was a beach party in Main Street, what they call their main hall, with a giant sand box. This fall our house will be an empty nest. The oldest Ms. J will be jetting off to study abroad in the Czech Republic for film school. And the youngest Miss J. will be off to college. She is Autistic so we will defiantly be there for her, but she has grown so much since getting her diagnosis that I am finding myself confident that she will do well. For those here with younger kiddos they don't lie when they say it goes fast. Elementary school for us went the slowest, but once the upper grades hit time will fly.

Next week is graduation and it will officially be all over. And Mr. J and I have realized that we have raised two pretty amazing kids. We don't look at it as the end of an era, we are looking forward to see where they go! Oh and of course we decided that we need to "pick up" the overseas kiddo because Prague in December with Christmas markets just happens to be a place we want to visit. 

• Like 14

6 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

Today ends our families time in K-12 education. The youngest Miss J. was dropped off for the last day of school for Seniors here in Frederick Co. The front entrance was pranked out and she informed us that there was a beach party in Main Street, what they call their main hall, with a giant sand box. This fall our house will be an empty nest. The oldest Ms. J will be jetting off to study abroad in the Czech Republic for film school. And the youngest Miss J. will be off to college. She is Autistic so we will defiantly be there for her, but she has grown so much since getting her diagnosis that I am finding myself confident that she will do well. For those here with younger kiddos they don't lie when they say it goes fast. Elementary school for us went the slowest, but once the upper grades hit time will fly.

Next week is graduation and it will officially be all over. And Mr. J and I have realized that we have raised two pretty amazing kids. We don't look at it as the end of an era, we are looking forward to see where they go! Oh and of course we decided that we need to "pick up" the overseas kiddo because Prague in December with Christmas markets just happens to be a place we want to visit. 

While I remember going through all of this with our two sons (currently 29 and 27) not ALL that long ago...I distinctly remember you sharing about the older and younger Ms. J's over the years (for a decade or more!) on this board, and I can't help feel somewhat empathetically wistful. I started out following your posts for when you shared absolutely AMAZING stories about your cooking/baking (especially your soups!!)...but it was nice to read about your family's adventures through the years as well.

It's so hard to wrap my head around the fact that THAT much time has flown by...not just for your own daughters, but for our sons, too. Just the way it goes. And my in-laws and parents were right...the older you get, the faster it seems to go! However, like my wife and I rediscovering what it's like to just be "us" in recent years...I'm sure that you and Mr. J will successfully travel that same path.  ;) 

P.S. -- Both of our guys have been out of our house for at least 5-7 years, and the best part? My youngest's former bedroom is now my well-decked-out and totally comfy home office...something I've wanted the entire 20+ years we've lived in our home.  :D 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Yesss!! I noticed in the new trailer, too, that a presumably upgraded version of "Dorothy," complete with a new set of aluminum can copter blade-fitted plastic sensors will be making another appearance...  :D 

Funny enough, in a TWC segment yesterday on the technology now available for hurricane recon, one of the scientists mentioned how the concept behind “Dorothy” is now more real than ever with sail drones and such. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

While I remember going through all of this with our two sons (currently 29 and 27) not ALL that long ago...I distinctly remember you sharing about the older and younger Ms. J's over the years (for a decade or more!) on this board, and I can't help feel somewhat empathetically wistful. I started out following your posts for when you shared absolutely AMAZING stories about your cooking/baking (especially your soups!!)...but it was nice to read about your family's adventures through the years as well.

It's so hard to wrap my head around the fact that THAT much time has flown by...not just for your own daughters, but for our sons, too. Just the way it goes. And my in-laws and parents were right...the older you get, the faster it seems to go! However, like my wife and I rediscovering what it's like to just be "us" in recent years...I'm sure that you and Mr. J will successfully travel that same path.  ;) 

P.S. -- Both of our guys have been out of our house for at least 5-7 years, and the best part? My youngest's former bedroom is now my well-decked-out and totally comfy home office...something I've wanted the entire 20+ years we've lived in our home.  :D 

Thanks for this. We both have current passports and are looking to travel. And Mr. J is toying around with early retirement. Got to get through college tuition first though. :D

• Like 2

What's going on in Cecil county?  Never seen this before from LWX 

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Law Enforcement Warning
MD Cecil County Department of Emergency Services
Relayed by National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
622 AM EDT Mon May 20 2024

...Law Enforcement Warning...

The following message is transmitted at the request of CCSO.

Police activity in the area. Please stay indoors. There is
currently no threat to the public.

$$

OnSolve-e9a5f08051364d648cad1bae12903c97/MD Cecil County
Department of Emergency Services

3 hours ago, yoda said:

What's going on in Cecil county?  Never seen this before from LWX 

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Law Enforcement Warning
MD Cecil County Department of Emergency Services
Relayed by National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
622 AM EDT Mon May 20 2024

...Law Enforcement Warning...

The following message is transmitted at the request of CCSO.

Police activity in the area. Please stay indoors. There is
currently no threat to the public.

$$

OnSolve-e9a5f08051364d648cad1bae12903c97/MD Cecil County
Department of Emergency Services

Cecil county sure has a hot mess of alerts and social media. I couldn't access their facebook as a guest, had to use my burner account. I can't believe they would make NWS send something like that out. Irresponsible in my opinion and a reason why people start ignoring alerts and warnings. @Eskimo Joe whats your take?

image.png.6d27a884b5aed95ffdc08ce6aa529028.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GramaxRefugee said:

What a revolting development this is. The Acurite stopped working

20240521_184717.thumb.jpg.ef146d9641737655227bf6aa31bbe8f7.jpg

Someone was pruning the azaleas, and...

20240521_185635.thumb.jpg.b98e2be40647ade79200cf8d72a5dde7.jpg

she cut the wire. Didn't take long to figure it out.

As if life isn't tough enough.

So...those corded hedge trimmers? The kind that one typically has to plug into a reeaaallly long extension cord, to lug around the extent of one's hedges lining the front of the house?

Yeah, I was doing the lugging of the trimmer last year about this time, was at the far reach of the 100 ft extension cord and down to the final two hedges, and I wasn't paying attention to the tautness of the cord and....sliced right through the extension cord while coming around the back of one of the hedges. It's a truly humbling experience. :( 

The upshot is that my wife insisted I order the Makita cordless hedge trimmer two days ago (we already have the Makita battery powered mower, weed whacker and leaf blower), so that I can get the hedges done before the holiday weekend WITHOUT destroying any more 100 ft extension cords. A new Makita cordless toy...I can't wait!!  ;) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ravensrule said:

Mullins should be sent down to Triple A. He is just awful right now. That base running gaffe in the 9th inning today was INEXCUSABLE. Screw him. 

He's definitely lost right now. That being said in the past 30 days only O'Hearn, Adley, Cowser and Gunnar have an OBP above .300. They have to get some patience at the plate

• Like 1

Why do MLB players tolerate the way the umps behave?  The players have all the power.  The fans pay to see players.  But when they continue to play a game after the umps do something inexcusable it allows it to continue. Instead they should walk off. Anytime an ump acts like a child or does something wrong they should end the game. Make the fans who paid really mad at the league to force them to fix it.  The players should take back control.