Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 disco/obs

Torch Tiger

37 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yeha ... if this thing were to somehow pass under Li instead of abeam of PWM ... most people in this sub-forum either meet or exceed their seasonal quota in snow. 

gfs_z500_vort_us_34.png

At a week+ out(8 days) that could easily happen. Because at this lead..that isn’t the correct solution.  Wouldn’t that be a hoot!  Hello April 1982. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

At a week+ out(8 days) that could easily happen. Because at this lead..that isn’t the correct solution.  Wouldn’t that be a hoot!  Hello April 1982. 

I know what you mean but April 1982 is never walking through that door again. It's been several years since we had a comparable airmass to April 1982 prior to a storm during winter .. let alone in April. We have a much better chance of replicating 4/97 type storm if anything. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

I know what you mean but April 1982 is never walking through that door again. It's been several years since we had a comparable airmass to April 1982 prior to a storm during winter .. let alone in April. We have a much better chance of replicating 4/97 type storm if anything. 

Don’t you worrry…it’ll happen again. Maybe not next week, but it will happen again. 

• Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Don’t you worrry…it’ll happen again. Maybe not next week, but it will happen again. 

if anything, the big dogs will be bigger. maybe just less frequent though due to cli.....nevermind I don't want to get bit

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

Good chance it's happening, I'm going to Florida and I miss a lot of late season storms when I go down there.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

Def could happen again not disputing that .. its just something that happens probably once every 200/300 years .. 

IMO, 4/82 is nearly as anomalous as 3/1888 and 9/1938, and equal or beyond with the Octobomb and Jan 1998.  (This latter may not have been the absolute most severe of anywhere, but its massive areal severe extent may be 2nd to none.)

Sun making a weak attempt to break thru the clouds, but the overall warmth has settled the pack from 15" to 10, and thoroughly ripened it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

IMO, 4/82 is nearly as anomalous as 3/1888 and 9/1938, and equal or beyond with the Octobomb and Jan 1998.  (This latter may not have been the absolute most severe of anywhere, but its massive areal severe extent may be 2nd to none.)

Sun making a weak attempt to break thru the clouds, but the overall warmth has settled the pack from 15" to 10, and thoroughly ripened it.

That Jan 98 ice storm was nuts for you guys…and I think even worse for parts of Quebec too.  So it definitely fits in with those others you mentioned imo. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

May 1977 enters the chat

Where it was 10-20" it's the Octobomb, spring version, but 5/77 affected a relatively small area.  I'd compare it to the BGR to MLT blizzard of Dec 30-31, 1962.  In that area it might've been as powerful a blizzard as 3/1888, but in a much smaller area.

• Like 1

Just now, klw said:

If you think that is wild, check out the 3k clown and this is only at hour 53!

sn10_acc-imp.us_ne.png

Oh yeah, I was punting the 10:1 maps as far as the eye can see.  So many times this winter the positive snow depth maps have been reality in marginal and even dynamic situations.

Just it showing any depth increase is a wild signal.