Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 disco/obs

Torch Tiger

1 minute ago, snowman19 said:

Not for NYC snow he’s not

Well This is New England…and it’s certainly not out of the realm of legitimate possibility here…so I’m sure Anthony was more speaking for this area, rather than the concrete jungle of NYC. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I wasn’t going to even comment. Everyone is free to believe as they choose. 

What it comes down to is a right to a sense of self determination.....I mean, they have groups on culinary arts and I am sure there are some obese folks that attend. Should we bombard them with pamplets on diabetes awareness just because its factual? I just don't see how its constructive...at the end of the day, the folks that are mindful of it in forecasts will likely fare better and that is all that can be said.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Was that when you started howling?

Loved snow(the weather) for as long as I could remember.  My mom shares the passion with me on that too. The winters of the late 70’s(76-79) really were what got me so excited.  Funny thing is I remember the winter of 72-73 well, even though I was barely 5…and that was a lousy winter as you pointed out. Small piddling events here and there…lousy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

April 82 was more than just decent..it was historic here.  Full blown blizzard and with big snow. 

I remember it too. I was nine at the time. My brother's sister and I still lived in lower Westchester. My dad picked us up and brought us up to his house in Fairfield, I remember all the snow everywhere. But then it melted in like 2 days lol. At least that's what I remember.

22 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

I remember it too. I was nine at the time. My brother's sister and I still lived in lower Westchester. My dad picked us up and brought us up to his house in Fairfield, I remember all the snow everywhere. But then it melted in like 2 days lol. At least that's what I remember.

It lasted longer than 2 days up here…but it’s April and all. We were out of school for a quite a while..which was a nice little bonus at the time. 

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What a 6 week period that was. The 100+ club. Never see that again in my lifetime 

Exactly 100" for me when I was down the road in Brooklyn. I may even have sold my self short an inch or 2.

Those winter seasons have dissappeared faster than my hair after college, and there's no getting them back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Boston Bulldog said:

On second thought, pass me the bug burger before I start tilling my lord's fields.

Anyways, it's definitely right to be skeptical of this upcoming PNA driven period being productive for the vast majority of the forum given climatology and a blowtorched Quebec.

Ginx is sounding the snow alarms. They coming he says!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

wow we lost another one to the snow blow gang? sad news hate to see it 

I have to chime in on this. I love big snow piles too, but I gave in to a snowblower 3 years ago. Just too much physical work. I still shovel smaller events, or the wet snows the blower gets stuck with, but definitely love having a snowblower. I used to be a "snowbank sculptor" and the banks were insane back in 2014, higher than my 6'5" self. But just too much now.

Back in January, I was driving somewhere with my mom and happened upon the rare sight, in a residential neighborhood, of 4 houses in a row that clearly shoveled everything. The snowpack was about 7", but was the product of several layers of snow/settled snow. The visual difference of those homes versus the rest of the neighborhood with its perfectly crafted snowblower lines, and only a bit of piling at the corners, was as if it was almost a double snowpack. Then it hit me. Snowblowers are THE reason why "old timers" claim it snowed more when they were a kid when it did not. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Snow blower without a question. Screw shoveling. I can get hours of my life back by snow blowing. Besides when the snow melts and only piles remain, that does nothing because deep down I know they're artificial. 

It's like driving to your house going the "shady" route. You don't want to see the bare ground so you take the scenic route. But deep down you know that one snowy side of the street doesn't help justify deep winter. Deep winter is all pack all the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

April 82 was more than just decent..it was historic here.  Full blown blizzard and with big snow. 

IMO, April 1982 ranks in the top 5 for anomalous wx events in the Northeast, a step behind March 1888 and Sept 1938 but up with Sandy and the Octobomb.   Other contenders are Feb 1978, April 1997, May 1977, Jan 1998,  Dec 1992, etc.

It was the most powerful blizzard of my experience, with only Feb 1961 even close.  It takes some special winds to have a day with 15" snow, temps in the teens while losing an inch of pack:
4/6/82   24     0       0        0      27"
4/7/82   17    10    1.10"   15.0"   26"
4/8/82   23   13    0.14"    2.0"   25"

• Like 1

I've been having some fun reading the colonial accounts from David Ludlum's Weather Factor. Seems like there were many ratters even back then! 

• 1620/1621
  • 1629/1630
  • 1644/1645
  • 1646/1647
  • 1752/1753 - 1755/1756 4 consecutive seasons! 

Also wanted to point out 1747/1748 looks like an absolute monster year I've never heard about:

202928508_Screenshot2024-03-07at1_46_31PM.png.cce6a9e1a59303bb53e1fce9788af1f4.png

1720205282_Screenshot2024-03-07at1_46_40PM.png.8ad224aec2fe0fb16c61501e6306ce07.png

If anyone is interested it looks like its available free of charge online : https://books.google.com/books?id=JtC9BwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_atb#v=onepage&q&f=false

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Snow blower without a question. Screw shoveling. I can get hours of my life back by snow blowing. Besides when the snow melts and only piles remain, that does nothing because deep down I know they're artificial. 

It's like driving to your house going the "shady" route. You don't want to see the bare ground so you take the scenic route. But deep down you know that one snowy side of the street doesn't help justify deep winter. Deep winter is all pack all the time.

yeeesh hate to lose another one ... feels like a changing of the guard.