Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 disco/obs

Torch Tiger

Just now, SJonesWX said:

dude, your lawn doesn't like any kind of weather. Your lawn doesn't even like you!

Lawns don't like the vast majority of the United states in terms of climate, and they fail to outcompete anything if left alone. They are a colonial obsession aping European elite. They require an astonishing amount of maintenance.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, NeonPeon said:

Lawns don't like the vast majority of the United states in terms of climate, and they fail to outcompete anything if left alone. They are a colonial obsession aping European elite. They require an astonishing amount of maintenance.

And are pernicious to the surrounding ecological health, too. 

We've talked about this in the past ( it's obviously not the thread for it so keeping it brief), there is a movement in 'property aesthetics' that is derived from enlightening to that awareness. It features creative uses of rock gardens, draped and or garland with mixes of low-flowering species.  Single species aspirations in lawn care is completely and utterly dip-shit obvious - to be blunt. Forefathers ( like your aristocratic vision...) didn't know any better.  It was always based on ignoramus and/or predispositions surrounding inherited fancies, didn't occur to anyone as questionable.  Unfortunately, now exposed as being shit. 

Fair, and most importantly ... diverse competition in the ecology, that is what breeds health - not just the systemic health, but the contributing species are also healthier. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

"Feb thread"

Lol…I’ll bite. 

I had been until everyone started posting obs in the March thread. 

But I think this was referring to the post I made to my friend Mark the other day that you weenied in which I wasn’t trying to tell him where to post, but rather where the rest of us were posting our obs so he wouldn’t have to feel like he was posting obs alone. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 4:31 PM, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Legit concern especially if we get a late season cold snap.

Last year as you probably know we had no peaches and very few plums or cherries on trees around here.  The apple crop was also negatively impacted.  My friend owns Headwater Cider and he could barely press last year.  
Maple syrup season is also going to suck if the temperatures are not getting below freezing at night.

No apples at all last Fall where I live.  The May 17th frost/freeze did severe damage. Some parts of Connecticut dipped into the 20's for several hours.

35 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

And are pernicious to the surrounding ecological health, too. 

We've talked about this in the past ( it's obviously not the thread for it so keeping it brief), there is a movement in 'property aesthetics' that is derived from enlightening to that awareness. It features creative uses of rock gardens, draped and or garland with mixes of low-flowering species.  Single species aspirations in lawn care is completely and utterly dip-shit obvious - to be blunt. Forefathers ( like your aristocratic vision...) didn't know any better.  It was always based on ignoramus and/or predispositions surrounding inherited fancies, didn't occur to anyone as questionable.  Unfortunately, now exposed as being shit. 

Fair, and most importantly ... diverse competition in the ecology, that is what breeds health - not just the systemic health, but the contributing species are also healthier. 

Yep.  The amount of circle-jerking over the death of biodiversity and dumping of harmful chemicals straight into ground water and waterways is disgusting.  Especially considering this a group of people who are supposedly more nature-aware than the general public.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, NeonPeon said:

One picture or painting of George Washington's home back in the day showing a lush green lawn around a beautiful estate and America was off and running with it's obsession of a lawn signaling wealth and opulence.  It said, "I am wealthy enough I do not need to grow my own food.  Someone else can do it for me while we enjoy this manicured lawn."

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

You're certainly losing your mind if you're actively searching for the HRDPS

Haha, no! Happened to see a little Canadian flag underneath the convection allowing models section of Pivotal. I don't think that was there before?

*edit* - Maybe Pivotal found out about my fondness for garbage models and added that one to my account just for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

Big hit SNE on the 12z Canadian at 200 hrs, lol. Haven't seen much in the way of digital snow in those parts lately.

It has sniffed out a couple events here and there.  Seems better than the euro as of late.

Yeah ...the telecon spread's are not exactly warm with no variation in sight.

primer: warm patterns in early spring tend to synoptically self-destruct.  They get kicked out of the continent and end up pooling in the NW-N Atlantic. That forces the -NAO.  Heh, if you are a responsible-minded warm enthusiast with a modicum of longer vision, you don't want for these early "winter heat waves" 

Anyway, seeing the teleconnectors in fact dropping the NAO negative post the 9th has that historical element to back it.

But it is not just the -NAO. I mean, the -NAO can be biased over the eastern limb for example. When that happens it's more of a factor for W/NW Europe. 

Very recently, the ensemble means have retrograding positive anomalies (500 mb hgts) from Greenland through the D. Straight - it's a long way out but that is very tentatively in support of a more westward blocking. Meanwhile, the PNA flat lines - the trend of which extrapolates to it becoming positive. 

At that point ...warmth's rug is likely pulled.

So we'll see.  This could all wholesale change. March is one of the more unstable months of the year due to seasonal change.  The t-spreads discussed above actually had backed off yesterday, but have come back since. So those broadly canvased indicators are showing some instability. oy

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

He calls for it every March since then and I honestly can’t remember any March in the last 11yrs that came close. 

Lol I just posted that. Would love him to link up anyone calling for cold and snow Mid March. Anytime anyone questions his March 2012 forecasts he goes off the rails.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Here's the thing. Noone screamed cold and winter but a bunch pointed out the return of blocking which would cool the Mid March period. Kevin's just pissed his annual March 2012 forecast failed once again 11 years running now.

all you have to do is look at north american snowcover to know that blocking wasn't going to save us....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Means his 2012 isn't walking in the door 

Nope. WTTTH. 

Just now, Cold Miser said:

I was hoping to put the dock in in 2 weeks...Of course, wearing nothing but a banana hammock.

:lmao:

11 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

What the hell do these both mean?

He’s trying to spin it lol…signs of cold and damp returning soon.

• Haha 1