joxey
Late Feb/March Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, paulythegun said:

Extended range models show a rug late March. I think I'll go stand on it, seems stable

EPS has zero snow through mid month. Whips out the weeklies. Hey look, an inch by the beginning of April!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

The pattern is changing... but I see some of the same flaws in the "better" pattern that has plagued us for years now even when we get a better longwave configuration.  Add in the fact we are talking about late March and we're at the edge of when snow is even reasonably possible and that was before the current torch we've been stuck in for 9 years...I dunno man I am not saying the chances are 0.  I realize crazy shit happens.  Yes the pattern looks better.  But by far the most likely outcome even if we do get a perfect track wave is just another perfect track rainstorm.  Snowshoe probably gets a big snowstorm late March or early April.  This probably saves the spring ski season for New England...but I am skeptical this does much for us locally.  

My week ago prediction was colder and wet from March 15 - April 15.  This fits in. Regarding early April snowfall?  April 7, 1971, 8 inches in downtown Waynesboro with 17 inches at 1800 ft. on Afton Mt...

I'm looking forward to a warmer day after today's chill at 43 with a 10 - 15 mph southeast breeze.  7 degrees colder than normal.

March 1 1962 was 71 degrees............................................. 5 days later, Staunton received 30 inches of SNOW..........................

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fc128476f-9d1a-414f-8fcf-d06aa5562e3d_480x204.gif

D winter. Would of been a C if a nina but bigger expectations with a nino.. 

My average is high 20's here. Probably another 10 in ninos. 

Ended up with 18" pretty crappy for a Nino in Northern Md

59 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

And don't turn 'em back on until uh...the PDO flips? :lol: (although I know some will be back next year no matter how horrid it may be, lol)

You know darn well everyone will be back next winter. We like unusual pain and punishment lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Next year is going to suck! I won’t be here tracking”

Yes you will. So will I. We all secretly love the torture.

Breaking news: snow hunting in the mid Atlantic becomes newest category of BDSM.

• Haha 2

I wish we all had the same passion for severe storms as we do for snow. Since King Dumbo (I mean Babar) reigns supreme now in these parts, might as well embrace it all. Snow is not normal anymore, but vicious summer storms certainly are. Not sure how I’ll Jebwalk in them, but I’ll figure that shit out over time. Just need a few more Friday beers in me… :lol:

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Breaking news: snow hunting in the mid Atlantic becomes newest category of BDSM.

Next year is going to suck says the same people that thought this year would be above average for snowfall. They have no fng clue how it’s going to play out. And we’ll be right back here tracking.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Next year is going to suck says the same people that thought this year would be above average for snowfall. They have no fng clue how it’s going to play out. And we’ll be right back here tracking.

We learned our lesson. Every winter is gonna suck. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, snowfan said:

But at least we’ll have 7 threads where everyone can say the same thing about lack of snow. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, snowfan said:

No actual idea, but I bet I see more snow in my yard next winter than this one. Just going with recency, Ninos have been fairly lame, while Ninas have overall been better than expected here wrt cold and snow. It just doesn't get cold enough during Ninos since 2010, and/or atmospheric coupling doesn't really happen and it behaves like a shitty Nina or worse(neutral).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The biggest irony of this season is we got our best wintry week not from a nino STJ pattern, but more of a nina-like Alaska ridge pattern (-EPO) combined with a short-lived greenland block (-NAO). 

IMG_6126.webp.ac0e1e33827299079efa8c0d368d9bbd.webp

If we’re going to play the “everyone zigs, we zag” game, we better hope that two things happen at the same time during next year’s nina - 1) pac ridge nudges poleward into alaska AND 2) we get greenland blocking to hold any cold air down

But my wag is that we don’t get any blocking, and we get 2022-23 without the cold xmas week. I’d pay money to be wrong. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris78 said:

You know darn well everyone will be back next winter. We like unusual pain and punishment lol

2 hours ago, jayyy said:

This will be the first winter where I actually feel done. Maybe as we get closer I'll change my mind, but I feel done. I mean for me, over the last 9 years we've already seen everything. What else is there to see? The only thing that made this winter worth tracking was that we did not know what a legit niño would look like under whatever regime this is. Optimism was warranted because, well...we literally did not know what things would look like. It just didn't work out!

But now? Feel like we've seen absolutely everything, and until we get a positive surprise, it just feels like it's not worth watching--especially in a nina (except for @CAPE's yard of course :lol:) I'm tired of pattern chasing only for it to result in long (but knowledgeable) posts about how stuff doesn't work anymore, we suck, etc...it's like, why watch when you already know the answer? I'm tired of watching all manner of climate things destructively interfere with our snow climo.

Now if/when the PDO flips that would be something we haven't seen during this stretch, so maybe you watch and see if that helps, who knows? It may or may not...but worth watching in case it does. Until then? Eh. I mean if you are in just for the science, I get it--to each their own. But otherwise? Not much to see, imo

45 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

The biggest irony of this season is we got our best wintry week not from a nino STJ pattern, but more of a nina-like Alaska ridge pattern (-EPO) combined with a short-lived greenland block (-NAO). 

IMG_6126.webp.ac0e1e33827299079efa8c0d368d9bbd.webp

If we’re going to play the “everyone zigs, we zag” game, we better hope that two things happen at the same time during next year’s nina - 1) pac ridge nudges poleward into alaska AND 2) we get greenland blocking to hold any cold air down

But my wag is that we don’t get any blocking, and we get 2022-23 without the cold xmas week. I’d pay money to be wrong. 

I will roll with a predominant -EPO pattern, and a well timed transient -NAO /+PNA to improve our chances. Provides a mechanism for legit cold to move southward + a wave to track underneath with cold air in place. Lately Ninos are simply too warm to force the thermal boundary southward enough for a favorable storm track at our latitude.

• Like 1

When you know you know!

You know it is over when you see this!

.BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM PST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions likely, particularly through Saturday
  morning. There is a 10-20% chance of thunderstorms along the crest
  through this evening with snowfall rates of 4 to 6 inches per hour
  at times. Snow accumulations between 3 and 6 feet for Lake Tahoe
  communities, with 6 to 10 feet above 7000 feet. Winds gusting to
  70 mph in lower elevations and above 115 mph over Sierra ridges
  with significant drifting of snow.

* WHERE...Greater Lake Tahoe Area.

* WHEN...Until 10 AM PST Sunday.

* IMPACTS...Whiteout conditions with near zero visibility at times
  due to blowing snow. The strong winds and weight of snow on tree
  limbs may down power lines and could cause sporadic power outages.
  Travel will be treacherous and potentially life-threatening.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Blizzard Warning means severe winter weather conditions are
expected or occurring. Falling and blowing snow with strong winds
are likely. This will lead to whiteout conditions, making travel
extremely dangerous. Do not travel. If you must travel, have a
winter survival kit with you. If you get stranded, stay in your
vehicle.

Downtown Truckee, CA Live Webcam | HDOnTap.com

Take a trip anyone!  LOL

2 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

So...you gonna track next year? (Real question)

Sure, but only to the same degree that I tracked last year and for the last couple weeks. I’ll take a quick look at the guidance from time to time, but with no expectation of anything good. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic