Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late Feb/March Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

1 hour ago, paulythegun said:

We’re really giving up on this?eb719f7ffe2c77ca1dae4ad366f325da.jpg

Unless there are some significant changes with the location and timing of the currently depicted key features, this is a mild storm with cold coming in behind.

50-50 High leading in? :yikes:

1708646400-QGkQc6OlXAs.png

Locate the thermal boundary..

1708689600-KeDMX1Pm8sU.png

• Like 2

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose I’m keeping one eye on it still. But with the collapse of a phased wave in front of it I see nothing in the long wave pattern that indicates that’s likely to phase far enough south for us. It’s all wrong. Could it change. Sure. But we’re getting kinda close for major hemispheric long wave changes. Could a crazy phase that defies normal logic occur. You bet ya. Once in a while it happens. Globally weird shit happens often. But 99% if it doesn’t affect the tiny little geographic box we give 2 shits about. So there is always a chance. But yes now decreased to the level I don’t anticipate every model run and track expecting anything. 

Yeah I suppose the operational models demonstrate how even with a perfect pass south, it’s rain. Wish that wave in front of it would cooperate.

42 minutes ago, JenkinsJinkies said:

Yes but it’s mid March. It’ll be too warm.

Mid March is still game on for the mountains. Lowlands are another story, but PSU land can still score as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chris21 said:

Mid March is still game on for the mountains. Lowlands is another story, but PSU land can still score as well.

Even the closer N/W suburbs (think IAD, MoCo/HoCo, etc) can still score in mid-March. Sometimes even late March but that’s pushing it.

I’m not giving up. In 2018 the greatest moment came right after the solstice and I’m still yet to see a storm that big ever since IMBY.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, chris21 said:

Mid March is still game on for the mountains. Lowlands are another story, but PSU land can still score as well.

Oh it can happen here. I had around 8 inches on March 20th 2018. The St Patty's day storm in 2014(I think) was another one- temps fell into the low 20s by mid afternoon with 6" of snow on top of ZR/sleet.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Fozz said:

It sure does. And after Jan 2016, which was like the ultimate W for this hobby (along with Feb 2010), I am not quite as emotionally attached to IMBY snow as I was before. It's still nice to see, but there are also so many mountains where I want to experience big storms and powder days.

These -PNA patterns we've been getting are all great opportunities to ski out west while this area gets skunked, and I encourage those who are able to take advantage of it.

Palisades and Mammoth are both getting heavy snow right now, and will get several feet thru Tuesday.

For example: https://www.mammothmountain.com/on-the-mountain/mammoth-webcam/main-lodge

7 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

The problem is that we were fooled big time by the weeklies for this current period.   So what makes a month from now different?  Skeptical to say the least....

They have been depicting the classic Nino look with an Aleutian low, lower heights across the southern/eastern US, and NA blocking since late November for mid Jan-Feb-March. Maybe they finally get it right now?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

The problem is that we were fooled big time by the weeklies for this current period.   So what makes a month from now different?  Skeptical to say the least....

Yep.  And if I remember correctly we had multi model agreement.  Each one better than the last one..  Remember, those ensemble runs?  There was a period of time where every day couldn’t be better until the next day..  two days ago I was knocking on 5 inches both ensemble runs, and operational runs at my house.  Skeptical is an understatement.

• Like 3

While winter in northern parts of the forum has been decent, it has sucked pretty royally in central VA (I'm in CHO). What is most depressing is the lack of confidence the models and weekly products produced this winter, and how gun-shy it has made all of us. Tough to believe the tools we have until things line up right with correlation. Oh well, there's always beer to drink.

• Like 1

Yeah those weeklies look good for the mountains but ONLY if you think they’re real. Do we really buy a 3 week blocking period in March after seeing it pop on the weeklies 4 weeks out for a month now?

It can certainly happen due to random chance and the tendency for the PV to breakdown in early spring, but the weeklies aren’t worth more than a dart throw
  • Like 1

0z EPS indicating some changes in the Pacific with hints of a PNA ridge developing at the end of the run. GEPS is similar. Lets see how persistent this is, and if the GEFS trends that way. Not sure how sustainable it would be with the MJO forecast to emerge near the MC.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CAPE said:

Oh it can happen here. I had around 8 inches on March 20th 2018. The St Patty's day storm in 2014(I think) was another one- temps fell into the low 20s by mid afternoon with 6" of snow on top of ZR/sleet.

I have no memory of either of those two events.

10 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I have no memory of either of those two events.

March 17, 2014 was legit...we had about 6-8" in Bethesda.  March 2018 was about half that, but still a decent event...and was also a reminder that you really need rates during the day to keep up with the sun angle.  Once the rates lightened up, it was a wrap.

4 hours ago, 87storms said:

March 17, 2014 was legit...we had about 6-8" in Bethesda.  March 2018 was about half that, but still a decent event...and was also a reminder that you really need rates during the day to keep up with the sun angle.  Once the rates lightened up, it was a wrap.

I was cross country skiing on a golf course and couldn’t believe it was St.Paddy day.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic