Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Discobs 2024

George BM

54 minutes ago, George BM said:

There some very skinny elevated CAPE depicted on the 0z IAD sounding w/ an EL all the way up around 33,000ft. A very small slither of CINH around 575mb.

22320240ziadsounding.thumb.gif.139e5e1ef80752e5e5bfe5dd2294cda5.gif

This is what I was saying, based on the forecasted soundings.   If you start a parcel around 700 mb (710, to be precise, per the diagnostics), you do have some actual CAPE.    It's just rare here to get convection based that high.    The April 2011 comparison you made is likely a really good one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Wild time today just se of Frederick.  Sky turned summertime thunderstorm black between 3:30-4 and moderate rain by 4:15 with 8 easily audible thunder reports, two shook the house, brilliant flashes  of lightning during daylight, and last bolt about 6:15

Ive gone summers where this might have been #1 but more like 2/3. No hail and winds moderate  but not wild, under 30 gusts .

• Like 2

I am NOT being sarcastic. I am so happy I want to happily scream this from the housetops, until I am hoarse!

We hit 90 degrees in Buda TX today! 

I could not be happier! No ice this year, Summer is ALREADY upon us down here! This, is why we enjoy one of the longest growing seasons on the planet!

Yeah. Its summer, in February. What winter?

I am now cheering on the fiery Venusian Base State! And, the Arabian Jet extension! Texas might one day be summer all year round! If the Hadley Cell brings hot weather, Bring it the heck on!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Only received 0.93 inches of total precip this month , following 6.58 for January.... Since mid November we have for the most part made up for that crushing drought in the Valley last year, but heading into the spring growing season down here we certainly don't want a drier than normal March following this February... The drought may have ended but it was still going strong only 3 months ago... Not sure if the ground water level has fully recovered yet...

56 minutes ago, mdhokie said:

About 2" of snow in Deep Creek, made for some fun skiing. Looking at the forecast temps this might be the last good weekend to ski. 

Yeah the forecast, with the exception of a couple nights next week, looks foreboding for folks at Wisp. It was packed today and my husband was on Lift 3 working...they all said the same thing. At least last season we had some cold air in March which allowed them to stay open until late March (barely), but that looks completely absent this year. I got 2.4" today so far in MLP which was a pleasant surprise, so maybe we'll have more surprises down the line. 

1 hour ago, katabatic said:

Yeah the forecast, with the exception of a couple nights next week, looks foreboding for folks at Wisp. It was packed today and my husband was on Lift 3 working...they all said the same thing. At least last season we had some cold air in March which allowed them to stay open until late March (barely), but that looks completely absent this year. I got 2.4" today so far in MLP which was a pleasant surprise, so maybe we'll have more surprises down the line. 

Tell him thanks for keeping the lifts spinning! All the employees are really friendly. Wish the management was a little better and they invested more into the infrastructure.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic