• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid/Late February will be rocking. (This year we mean it!) February long range discussion.

JenkinsJinkies

4 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

That's what I was saying...i don't know where he got that from.   But it's really not worth micro analyzing this far out

if the PD storm is too warm for snow......you will end up suspending me. 

• Haha 5

*Models show legitimate cold airmass but no snow* 

WHERE IS THE DIGITAL BLUE!? ITS OVER! 

*Models show snow*

WHERE IS THE COLD AIR!? ITS OVER! 

Some of yall really need to take the PSU approach right now and see that the overall pattern becomes much more favorable from the 15th on forward, and focus on the details once we get closer. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, EHoffman said:

Rates rates rates is the name of the game around here once we get past mid-Feb.  Temps are gonna be marginal no matter how you slice it.

Temps won't always be marginal later in the season. There's an impressive cold push at this time, so as long as the timing is decent it's going to snow and then it'll get cold.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

*Models show legitimate cold airmass but no snow* 

WHERE IS THE DIGITAL BLUE!? ITS OVER! 

*Models show snow*

WHERE IS THE COLD AIR!? ITS OVER! 

Some of yall really need to take the PSU approach right now and see that the overall pattern becomes much more favorable from the 15th on forward, and focus on the details once we get closer. 

I think my favorite oddball takes are from the people who check in here like once a week and then make "all hope is lost" posts when things don't look the exact same as they did 7 days ago  :arrowhead:

The GFS has me excited. Solid chances are coming and that's all we can ask for rn.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Temps won't always be marginal later in the season. There's an impressive cold push at this time, so as long as the timing is decent it's going to snow and then it'll get cold.

Not saying it won't be cold enough to snow, just that we're not gonna get cold smoke this late in the season, and with the sun angle being what it is we just need rates to get real accumulation.  That even includes overnight precip, at least within DC.  I'm not saying it's impossible, in fact I love the fact we're tracking bombs and big dogs and not some weak piddling stuff.  That's what we need.  But big snow in DC past mid-feb is always always an uphill battle.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Board - "WE WANT DIGITAL BLUE"

GFS - ok, here you go, three times in a row

Board - "NOT LIKE THAT"

"It was in the 40's at 1 PM the day before that digital blue! Torch! Horrible setup!" 

• Haha 6

20 minutes ago, EHoffman said:

Not saying it won't be cold enough to snow, just that we're not gonna get cold smoke this late in the season, and with the sun angle being what it is we just need rates to get real accumulation.  That even includes overnight precip, at least within DC.  I'm not saying it's impossible, in fact I love the fact we're tracking bombs and big dogs and not some weak piddling stuff.  That's what we need.  But big snow in DC past mid-feb is always always an uphill battle.

Probably not given the pattern, but we can absolutely get cold smoke this late in the season. Seen a lot of cold smoke snows in March of late.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Probably not given the pattern, but we can absolutely get cold smoke this late in the season. Seen a lot of cold smoke snows in March of late.

The complaints about "too warm leading in!" for the potential PD-3 event around here are ridiculous.  First, it's 200+ hours out!  Second (if you really want to get into the details!), the temperatures literally crash as the storm begins and it remains quite cold for a couple of days after.  The same temperature depiction was shown for 00Z and 06Z, when everyone was ga-ga over this.  Again, it's 200+ hours out, but the overall hints for this general time period have been discussed at length.

And your comment about cold smoke in March...spot on!  The one I remember best was March 5, 2015.  That featured a front that went through early in the morning followed by rapid cooling, as a wave moved up the front and gave us that storm.  In fact, I recall @Deck Pic (I think it was him?) very early that morning saying watch how many people freak out because it wouldn't be snowing yet when they woke up, when the event wouldn't really start until mid-morning.  And sure enough, people freaked out because it was still wet but no snow falling...even as the damned storm was right on our doorstep (and it began snowing shortly after)!

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

this is no joke

IMG_6927.webp.e40c4ae0f8b11f46591c0db51fa863f8.webp

22 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

-epo and 50/50. Temps the least of my worries

If I want to be super picky the one thing I don’t like is that the NS wants to dive in right on top of us it seems. Further west and it could phase in. East and it’s out of the way. But if NS waves keep diving into the lakes it’s more complicated. 

The gfs has temp issues because it doesn’t retrograde the Scandinavian block into the nao as much and instead keep rotating NS systems to our north.  If that’s correct we would have issues but I’m not taking a model that’s running in last place in verification scores. You know how we joke about the icon. I saw a chart a couple months ago where the gfs was running below the icon!  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The gfs has temp issues because it doesn’t retrograde the Scandinavian block into the nao as much and instead keep rotating NS systems to our north.  If that’s correct we would have issues but I’m not taking a model that’s running in last place in verification scores. You know how we joke about the icon. I saw a chart a couple months ago where the gfs was running below the icon!  

So in general are you optimistic on the period 2/19?

30 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The complaints about "too warm leading in!" for the potential PD-3 event around here are ridiculous.  First, it's 200+ hours out!  Second (if you really want to get into the details!), the temperatures literally crash as the storm begins and it remains quite cold for a couple of days after.  The same temperature depiction was shown for 00Z and 06Z, when everyone was ga-ga over this.  Again, it's 200+ hours out, but the overall hints for this general time period have been discussed at length.

And your comment about cold smoke in March...spot on!  The one I remember best was March 5, 2015.  That featured a front that went through early in the morning followed by rapid cooling, as a wave moved up the front and gave us that storm.  In fact, I recall @Deck Pic (I think it was him?) very early that morning saying watch how many people freak out because it wouldn't be snowing yet when they woke up, when the event wouldn't really start until mid-morning.  And sure enough, people freaked out because it was still wet but no snow falling...even as the damned storm was right on our doorstep (and it began snowing shortly after)!

I think that was actually Zwyts.. regardless, a tremendous call, indeed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EHoffman said:

Never change! 

• Like 2

Just now, brooklynwx99 said:

GEFS is so loaded. has the MECS signal around the 23rd, too

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_fh336-384.thumb.gif.be909d57f56a9923e532243197ac68ce.gifgfs-ens_apcpn24_us_fh264-384.thumb.gif.02f7d0b8587f9d652aadf2823a8d133c.gif

I count 3 potential waves, which could turn out to be 2 in reality. Likely the first (19-20th) and third (23rd that PSU has been harping on)

• Like 4

Just now, Terpeast said:

I count 3 potential waves, which could turn out to be 2 in reality. Likely the first (19-20th) and third (23rd that PSU has been harping on)

that third one as the Pacific trough retrogrades, the block weakens, and the PNA rises looks very legit. it's actually the same general process as 2016

• Like 3

Just looping the 24 hour precip panels on the Gefs it looks like we have southern stream waves on the 18/19, again on the 21st then another on the 23/24.

Maybe there's only 2 waves with timing differences but it looks like 3.  That's 3 chances in about 6 days to score something. 850s and 2m temps are below average during that stretch. 

Just need patience for a little longer.....

Eta- @brooklynwx99  and @Terpeast ninjaed me while I was typing.

But hey atleast I am seeing the same thing as 2 red taggers lol.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

whats the 2nd lol? i think its PD3 and then PD 3.7....if PD3 is the real big dog...that probably hampers PD3.7

what is PD3.7?

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic