Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2024

wdrag

6 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

there was a HECS on Feb 15-17, though, and one in late March

Yes. But we won't have anything close to a HECS leading up to mid-month. Then, we'll have to wait perhaps for awhile. Late February-early March might afford the best opportunity. If there's going to be at least a moderate snowstorm, I suspect that it would occur within that window.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FPizz said:

Are their similar periods that weren't a miss that you can point out, or just this?

Certainly. As March 1958 was raised and part of that month saw similar teleconnections leading up to a big storm, here it is:

image.gif.1dddafe9701cec285fc20c4a4497f89e.gif

Also, late February-March 1960:

image.gif.66ce702c70dd9ba047525b4452c0ef00.gif

Notice no deep 500 mb low near the Aleutians nor an overpowering 500 mb low well off New England (more uniform trough depth).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

This season has be really concerned. The combination of historic Atlantic Ocean warmth and an emergent La Niña is worrisome.

Could it be worse than the year we had 30 TC's Don (I think that was 2020)?

Hyperactive seasons tend to favor the Gulf over the East Coast don't they?

Is there any way to predict which region would be favored this year?

28 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Could it be worse than the year we had 30 TC's Don (I think that was 2020)?

Hyperactive seasons tend to favor the Gulf over the East Coast don't they?

Is there any way to predict which region would be favored this year?

The number will be very high and there will likely be a high number of major hurricanes, some of which will probably make landfall. It’s tough to know right now where the highest risk of landfall might be.

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Several factors lining up for a potentially very active Atlantic hurricane season. 

That’s likely one thing to be bullish about here given the warmer Atlantic and north extensions of the Bermuda High that will likely guide future storms right up the coast. We can always count on our deluges. :( 

A warming trend is now underway. The temperature could rise well into the 50s in New York City and into the 60s in Philadelphia and Washington, DC late in the week and early in the weekend.

The generally mild conditions will likely continue into at least the second week of February with only brief interruptions. No Arctic air is likely to reach the area during this time. As a result, the first 10 days of February could wind up 5°-7° above normal in New York City.

New York City will likely see a mean temperature of 40.0° or above during the February 1-10 period. Since 1869, there have been 9 prior cases. Five have occurred since 2000 and eight have occurred since 1990: 1952, 1990, 1991, 1999, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, and 2020. Seven of those nine years saw less than 10" snowfall for the remainder of the season following February 10th. Only one saw more than 20.0" (22.7", 2005). The least was the trace of snow that fell in 2020. The mean snowfall was 7.2" while the median snowfall was 6.0". In short, were the February 1-10 temperature to average 40.0° or above, that development could be a reinforcing signal for a below to much below normal snowfall season.

The second week of February will likely see the evolution toward a sustained colder pattern begin late that week. A storm could affect the region early next week. There is a possibility that the rain could mix with or end as a period of wet snow or flurries in parts of the region.

Single-digit cold is unlikely in New York City following the pattern change. During February, cases with warm ENSO Region 1+2 anomalies see such lows at 55% of frequency as cold ENSO Region 1+2 cases during El Niño winters. During the second half of February, just 17% of cases with a PDO- saw single-digit cold during El Niño winters. January saw a strongly negative PDO.   

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +1.0°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +1.8°C for the week centered around January 31. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +0.87°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +1.83°C. A basinwide El Niño event is ongoing. The ongoing El Niño event will continue to fade through much of February.  

The SOI was -39.05 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was -1.342 today.

On February 5 the MJO was in Phase 7 at an amplitude of 2.080 (RMM). The February 4-adjusted amplitude was 2.092 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 70% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal February (1991-2020 normal). February will likely finish with a mean temperature near 38.0° (2.1° above normal).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

18z GFS has the storm for next week further south again.  It’s just one additional solution to the many that are out there for this event.  FWIW there were quite a few members on the GEFS 12z run with this further south solution as well.

Yep, although unfortunately, unlike the snowier solutions a few runs ago, this one has all of the snow for NYC Metro/95 falling from 10 to 4 pm on 2/13, meaning with surface temps around 34-35F at midday, accumulations will be very difficult unless we see fairly heavy intensity.  I'd still way rather see white rain than real rain, though.  

1 minute ago, NEG NAO said:

Another Rainstorm 23rd - obviously this is an indication that maybe the pattern will not be suppressed

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_64.png

That's way out there and the ensembles are different . You are also talking about 384. 

• Like 1

Right now, I can't start a thread for NYC-LI 1/2-4" snowfall 2/13 ish cause 19z NBOM and positive snow depth change on the latest 12z CMCE/EPS and 18z GEFS are all less than 2".  Too risky for a loser thread.

Wind gusts right now are ensembled 40-45 MPH which is marginal wind advisory and a day of OBS thread. 

If ensembles grow together on snowfall for I80 region we'll get it going but for now, at least from myself, I cannot confidently proclaim we'll get 2" at CP for either the 13th or 18th-19th. I hope this changes.

The 13th event looks to me like north of I84, probably best snowfall north of I90. 

NAVGEM may be a best fit?  Certainly the ensembles are not optimistic for I80 area 

This can adjust since we' re still talking D6-7.   Back tomorrow morning. Best to all.  Walt

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

with all of the agonizing over OP runs, we're still looking at a cold, active pattern with a tall AK ridge, west based -NAO blocking, confluence, and a Pacific trough undercutting. the more you take a step back and look at the bigger picture, the more things look the same

f240.thumb.gif.06a4c9308cc56a86fb301993a47e50aa.giff300.thumb.gif.aaa2564ffb4224b6c07f5a306837f62d.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Is it spring yet? 

It's coming....   I caught jonah crabs in my crab pots today.   They generally start showing up around now for their late winter and early spring migration into the bay and then back out to 60 feet of water.  But... they don't usually show up in these numbers until March.  Very good news, because as great as they are for Tautog bait, they are also excellent table fare.   

Mother nature always shows her hand with natural signs. 

• Like 3