• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

To me, it’s actually been an incredible winter given the departures.  I don’t think most folks understand what sustained +8 is for a departure.

February currently sits at +11.2 at MVL.  People die in July at +11.2 and here we are running snow cover daily at a “departure torch.”

Not that different from last year except it was even warmer here and we had more snow to date. 

To me, it’s actually been an incredible winter given the departures.  I don’t think most folks understand what sustained +8 is for a departure.
February currently sits at +11.2 at MVL.  People die in July at +11.2 and here we are running snow cover daily at a “departure torch.”

You would never know it’s +11.2 if you were out this weekend. Deep winter and biting cold.

• Like 1

Looks like another one of those ok winters in higher elevations, but shitty in the lower elevations. I mean even CT has a deeper pack than Mitch. 

Ok is a good way to put it. Some excellent stretches, but less refreshes it seems than the past few years when it gets bad. It’s been non stop snow the past few days, but about a 10 day drought before. The Christmas torch was pretty epic this year too.

7 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

You would never know it’s +11.2 if you were out this weekend. Deep winter and biting cold.

Zero below zero days, truly historic warmth.  Almost no big lakes have any ice, Champlain, George, all the Great Lakes.  

According to the LGA records show that the Lake also didn’t freeze completely in 1919, 1991, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2018, kinda 2022 (it thawed in February and froze again), and this year.  Which when you look at the trend... it’s obvious

17 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

About the “biting cold”. I thought the same thing as I was unloading my sleds to go riding and then I realized it was like 25°. Most years I’d be so acclimated to cold that I’d basically be able to go out in shorts and a tee shirt and think what a nice day. It’s been so warm that 20°-25° feels like the Arctic. Lol

• Like 4

Zero below zero days, truly historic warmth.  Almost no big lakes have any ice, Champlain, George, all the Great Lakes.  

According to the LGA records show that the Lake also didn’t freeze completely in 1919, 1991, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2018, kinda 2022 (it thawed in February and froze again), and this year.  Which when you look at the trend... it’s obvious

Looks like winter to me.
25f9d8337ca889b76eefc0fabf96b83f.jpg

I know what your agenda is, but my comment wasn’t that it hasn’t been +11 this month, it was that it has felt like deep winter this weekend. it hasn’t stopped snowing more than a few hours in the last 3 days, we’ll be pushing two feet in that stretch by morning, temps have been in the teens during the day and barely above zero at night with a steady wind and chills below zero. To me, that is “obviously” a deep winter feel. I’ve enjoyed it.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Looks like another one of those ok winters in higher elevations, but shitty in the lower elevations. I mean even CT has a deeper pack than Mitch. 

He's got like 14" OTG, but your point stands, it's been a rat in the Berks up towards extreme SVT.  Mitch has the same total as me right now on the season, which is pretty crazy and I'm sure is a pretty low return rate of that happening in any given year.

48 minutes ago, mreaves said:

About the “biting cold”. I thought the same thing as I was unloading my sleds to go riding and then I realized it was like 25°. Most years I’d be so acclimated to cold that I’d basically be able to go out in shorts and a tee shirt and think what a nice day. It’s been so warm that 20°-25° feels like the Arctic. Lol

I’ll agree… the real cold days have been about normal.  Normal is pretty damn cold in January and February.  But a -20F summit windchill is like what one might expect in Jan/Feb at 3k+ feet, a couple counties within the Canadian border.

We averaged low single digits for a long time, even now it needs to hit 6F every night to have a shot at below normal.  Its only hit 6F once in 17 days.

14 of 17 days have had mins of 12F or more when the average has been 2-6F.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Looks like winter to me.
25f9d8337ca889b76eefc0fabf96b83f.jpg

I know what your agenda is, but my comment wasn’t that it hasn’t been +11 this month, it was that it has felt like deep winter this weekend. it hasn’t stopped snowing more than a few hours in the last 3 days, we’ll be pushing two feet in that stretch by morning, temps have been in the teens during the day and barely above zero at night with a steady wind and chills below zero. To me, that is “obviously” a deep winter feel. I’ve enjoyed it.

Snowfall and snow-on-the-ground will always trump temperature departures.  If it’s snowy at +10, no one cares.  The minute positive departures mean rain, the vibe changes drastically.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Heisy said:

You think the SSW does anything for us in March?

No offense but don’t you live in Philadelphia? What exactly are you hoping to get down there in March? And all the SSW hype has been fail after fail all winter. Total voodoo 

6 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

He's got like 14" OTG, but your point stands, it's been a rat in the Berks up towards extreme SVT.  Mitch has the same total as me right now on the season, which is pretty crazy and I'm sure is a pretty low return rate of that happening in any given year.

I was just going by pics he posted and it looked like 6”. 

Yeah pretty bad around here up into SVT for snow.  Up around Magic there is probably around 8-10” of “pack.”  My memory is a bit foggy but this does reminds me of 2009-10 here.  That season was saved by the 3’ elevation bomb late February.  We need one of those badly! The next winter was pretty sweet so I have some sort of hope for what’s coming. 

Picked up a nice 1.5-2" Last night in Rangeley.  Have to see if there was more  in elevation tomorrow. House we stay in is just about  about lake level.   Did a quick  65 mile loop with wife yesterday and trails were pretty good.  Started at -7 at 5 am was in the 20's by 11AM. 

• Like 1