• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

1 hour ago, George001 said:

Those Heat bursts you mention is something I noticed happening earlier and earlier. 70s in March used to be very rare, and now it seems like every couple years we soar into the 70s in Feb. 

70s in March was common 70 years ago per my memory.  I used to realize that March would often give you the first 70 and April 80.  Didn’t happen every year but it was common enough.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, weathafella said:

70s in March was common 70 years ago per my memory.  I used to realize that March would often give you the first 70 and April 80.  Didn’t happen every year but it was common enough.

Ya 70s in March aren’t unusual.  I remember one year maybe 97 or 98 we hit  88. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Agree... With our data checking that's my general memory as well.  The thing that seems to stand out more than anything right now to me, is the relative crappy nature of Aprils these days...

70 F at most climo sites on March 1 and … everywhere else, is between  25 and 30 abv nornal  

Let’s not belittle the matter.  It’s not that common. 

Doing so as often as it has in the last 10 years is alarming.

But these occurrences have couched 80 as well.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Agree... With our data checking that's my general memory as well.  The thing that seems to stand out more than anything right now to me, is the relative crappy nature of Aprils these days...

May as well throw May in the hooper with Aprils too

13 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

70 F at most climo sites on March 1 and … everywhere else, is between  25 and 30 abv nornal  

Just looking at wiz’s chart BDL is hitting 70 over the last 20 years just as frequently as the 1960-1980 period.

as far as 80 . BDL hit 80 4 times before 1990 3 times since 1990. 

off first glance 60s seem more prevalent recently 

• Like 2

“That’s a thing of the past,” he said.

Winters are warming twice as fast as summers in northern states, scientists have found. Across New England, this winter is shaping up to be one of the warmest on record, driven by an El Niño weather pattern currently in place and climate change, which has increased average temperatures globally.

In December and January in Vermont, nighttime temperatures were generally around 21 degrees, making those two months the warmest on record in terms of nighttime low temperatures. This year marks the first time in recorded history that there wasn’t any snow on the ground in Burlington, Vt., during the first 12 days of February.

23 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Just looking at wiz’s chart BDL is hitting 70 over the last 20 years just as frequently as the 1960-1980 period.

as far as 80 . BDL hit 80 4 times before 1990 3 times since 1990. 

off first glance 60s seem more prevalent recently 

We’re saying 70 but that’s low balling these recent departure events. 

I can’t speak to “Wiz’s chart” but I stood witness to 79 and 82 in two different Febs since 2016. Two Marches hosted an above 85. 

I’d also suggest that typical early warm synoptics brings the warmest readings to the Mass NE and SE NH. 

It is not uncommon within a week of these occurrences of early heat breaking down to observe a robust

-NAO

12 minutes ago, kdxken said:

“That’s a thing of the past,” he said.

Winters are warming twice as fast as summers in northern states, scientists have found. Across New England, this winter is shaping up to be one of the warmest on record, driven by an El Niño weather pattern currently in place and climate change, which has increased average temperatures globally.

In December and January in Vermont, nighttime temperatures were generally around 21 degrees, making those two months the warmest on record in terms of nighttime low temperatures. This year marks the first time in recorded history that there wasn’t any snow on the ground in Burlington, Vt., during the first 12 days of February.

I’m not sure the weather pattern has been very El Niño like tho. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I’m not sure the weather pattern has been very El Niño like tho. 

The temp anomalies across the country are going to look exactly like a strong Nino when winter ends. It’s going to look strikingly similar to ‘72-‘73 which as we know, was also a -PDO winter. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

29 minutes ago, roardog said:

The temp anomalies across the country are going to look exactly like a strong Nino when winter ends. It’s going to look strikingly similar to ‘72-‘73 which as we know, was also a -PDO winter. 

Right … but we’re talking about the weather pattern. 

yeah temperatures doing whatever. But we should suspect they would have been above normal whether Nino slid underneath them or not tho - 

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

But March is a 31 day month.  On 3/1 70 is much more highly anomalous vs 3/31.  As a kid growing up mid 20th century, the things I grew to expect in March was a big snow event and the first run at 70.

8 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Well, not here. Just an unreal porking. I just want to put this season behind me. As bad as last year was, this is worse locally when you look at how every area around me has done. I’m just tired of it.  As someone who uses this season as an outlet, I’m disgusted with it.

Hits the spot.

Winter and all its meteorological chases and thrills have been a reliable escape for folks here for as long as we can remember (for me, since moving here in 1993, so my expectations were warped from the start). The past 2 years? The only redeeming experience was a few hours after the CF passed through on Jan 7... first time my toddler witnessed heavy snow and he was absolutely ecstatic.

Here's how it would look if we do in fact sweep the rest of the season and don't hit 4" before mid Dec 2024... depressing:

image.png.7ac247ef3e2c3c527bc5c7b5635c6f29.png

6 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Right … but we’re talking about the weather pattern. 

yeah temperatures doing whatever. But we should suspect they would have been above normal whether Nino slid underneath them or not tho - 

Well then look at the 500MB height anomalies and they’re going to look very similar to ‘72-‘73. We had the almost Nina like pattern for a minute in January. December ‘72 had a Nina like pattern for awhile also I believe. Both of those instances could be due to the -PDO. That’s probably why the northern Rockies and northern plains aren’t the center of the warmth. It’s actually pushed a little more east which is bad for here and your area. I thought the -PDO might help keep some colder air around but in the end, it looks like it just pushes the biggest warmth east because of more -PNA.