Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 19th Storm OBS Thread

DCAlexandria

11 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

Paging @jonjon @nj2va

you guys have a lotta experience up in the mountains.  Tomorrow I could go ski up at whitegrass in Canaan valley, you think driving up there tomorrow morning in a 4wd crv with just regular tires (not snow tires) would be ok?

Yeah, I think you’d be ok if you’re comfortable driving in snow. This stuff is so fluffy / high ratio that I think you’d be fine. If you’re nervous you could take the “long” way on interstate 68 then down 219 to Canaan vs going up through WV. I think MD does better with the roads than WV but should be ok. It’s gonna be COLD with blowing winds that will pose hazardous at times due to blowing snow. 

• Like 3

I was out earlier in the afternoon and despite the snow roads were just wet. Since the sun has gone down everything that was wet earlier is now frozen. The wind didn't dry things before sunset, meaning there's a lot of moisture on surfaces still.

My road, which has been plowed multiple times and was bare but wet earlier, is pretty iffy now. There's gonna be tons of black ice so if you go out this evening be careful.

1 minute ago, midatlanticweather said:

Seriously got unlucky here in Purcellville. I had another 3.1 inches today. Total for the week was 6.3 inches

Many nearby had at least an inch or more today and earlier this week. Oh well. Better than last year and snow is on the ground. 

That's odd - I had a good 4 inches here - Had 3.5 earlier in the week. And I'm only 4 miles from PVille

49 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Watching the local news, and they were covering kids sledding at Rodger's Forge. One parent said when the flakes started falling, her son was outside in shorts and a t-shirt saying "I'VE MISSED THIS" She said the kid had been out there all day and half the night and said "I've been deprived...I'm not stopping! It may never happen again" 

This kid GETS IT :lol:

9CSWeNf.gif.7b21e76c580bf99919ea31b9327e9a13.gif

We have a definitive winnah!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

Flake size increased in this streamer (Colesville, MD). Last hurrah probably! Great way to end the day - probably iwll have to do a little light broom work on the driveway later on (shoveled earlier). 

It’s elongated and not fast moving 

9 minutes ago, Warm Nose said:

I was out earlier in the afternoon and despite the snow roads were just wet. Since the sun has gone down everything that was wet earlier is now frozen. The wind didn't dry things before sunset, meaning there's a lot of moisture on surfaces still.

My road, which has been plowed multiple times and was bare but wet earlier, is pretty iffy now. There's gonna be tons of black ice so if you go out this evening be careful.

Seriously. We just exited one snow streamer about 30 min ago, and had a bit of sunset and twilight afterward before full dark...but everything that was wet is flash-freezing. Slid almost the entire way down to the end of the driveway to check the mail a few minutes after taking this one. Please be careful out there tonight, folks, if you have to be out on the roads...

image.jpeg.a7a3ae6a56bb3a73646ee4b286363710.jpeg

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, 09-10 analogy said:

The little boomlet that sliced the District caved my sidestreet and all the sidewalks residents had so dutifully shoveled. The bigger streamer looks to brush just to my north. 

Unofficially about 4.5" but waiting on confirmation from other reports nearby.

i was shoveling while it passed - not too much damage.  i'll probably put down some ice melt.  Man the Tenleytown Ace hardware store has been a life saver - I freaking love that place.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ThePhotoGuy said:

Any reports from the snow streamer in Baltimore County? Hopefully it holds up for Northern Anne Arundel. 

IMG_9500.png

Coming down hard in Towson with the first fatties of the day. Looks like it's going to come and go to fast to do anything more than provide another coating.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ThePhotoGuy said:

Any reports from the snow streamer in Baltimore County? Hopefully it holds up for Northern Anne Arundel. 

IMG_9500.png

Here here! 

Looks like it’s finally wrapping up but it was awesome while it lasted.

Picked up a quick 0.4” which leaves me with the same exact total as the previous event - 4.4”

• Like 2