• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Storm Threat Thread: Do we finally win or get Saltburned?

H2O

6 minutes ago, Heisy said:

What a cave job in 12 hours

I do think E areas can do well if the trailer wave is strong enough to redevelop like a lot of eps members do.
645c62f8464a09b0a606044f2af21857.jpg
d272179de7652afd4ac39f30fbb65b32.jpg

With timing differences and possibly 2 waves, this is a better depiction. Still not great, but the mean implies 1-2".

1705525200-pzZmKUiFsxM.png

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

This looked good IMG_0911.png.39b8da6cdb24a8fb2044f83a8fbb6e88.png

But I guess it depends what your goal is. If you just want to maybe see a coating it looks ok. 

I'll crawl first. White rain here with a slushy trace so far. An inch would be glorious.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

What a dumb hobby.  Why did we all get cursed with this?   Get this...there are sickos out there who don't care if it snows or not.  They have no concept of weather.  They go about their day and check an app maybe once or twice a week.   And if a storm doesn't come...they are un phased.   What must that be like?  Have yall thought about these people? They are amongst us and they are in way bigger numbers.

Yeah, they are called weirdos or freaks.  We are the normal ones.  Right?  Right??  Please say right :arrowhead:

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I'll crawl first. White rain here with a slushy trace so far. An inch would be glorious.

Fair enough. I’m getting pretty numb at this point. I’m getting a kick out of all the posts by people trying to convince themselves when deep down they know. Last time it was trying to convince themselves that the typical north warmer trend that happens 90% wouldn’t. This time it was trying to convince them the complicated NS play nice and phase solution would be the right one dispute the best model saying no no no.  But we all knew. I don’t even get that upset anymore. I’m almost relieved. It’s more stressful knowing the rug pull is coming and know knowing when. Now it feels like freedom. Miserable snowless freedom. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 6
  • Weenie 2

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Fair enough. I’m getting pretty numb at this point. I’m getting a kick out of all the posts by people trying to convince themselves when deep down they know. Last time it was trying to convince themselves that the typical north warmer trend that happens 90% wouldn’t. This time it was trying to convince them the complicated NS play nice and phase solution would be the right one dispute the best model saying no no no.  But we all knew. I don’t even get that upset anymore. I’m almost relieved. It’s more stressful knowing the rug pull is coming and know knowing when. Now it feels like freedom. Miserable snowless freedom. 

see you at 00z

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 16

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Definitely saw it coming. I prefer southern stream dominant patterns, it's sad to see the inevitable coming. When I realized the synoptic differences between the Euro and the rest of the crowd were at 60hrs after we trended to an "easier" way to win, I immediately started worrying. But here we are...

It seemed ten or fifteen years ago, when we tracked a storm for about a week, and it then showed marked improvement, we were pretty confident that we would score with that storm with a lead time of 5 to 6 days. Now the models seem to be all over the place up to a couple of days before game time. Frustrating. 

1 minute ago, DDweatherman said:

Definitely saw it coming. I prefer southern stream dominant patterns, it's sad to see the inevitable coming. When I realized the synoptic differences between the Euro and the rest of the crowd were at 60hrs after we trended to an "easier" way to win, I immediately started worrying. But here we are...

Yea I was thinking 1966 and 1987 were top analogs and both had a January 10 day period very similar to this pattern where a tpv got trapped under a block. And both lead to back to back snowstorms here. But I wonder based on recent results if it’s harder to get the NS to dig enough for that to work.  Seems whenever we need the NS it’s typically not digging far enough south and it’s got a million fast moving vorts running interference. Those 2 are related. But I think we would be better off without the tpv. Of course then the not cold enough issue might come back. 

1 minute ago, WesternFringe said:

It gave me 4”, but I got “zero point zero.”

At this range the Euro got schooled by the GFS if I remember right...it was pretty far east and cold, at least up in this area past 96 hours then was gradually coming west and milder.  I was concerned about a snowier solution 4-5 days out because the recent year normally amped Euro with any east coast storm in that 84-120 period was not amped relative to the CMC/GFS at that range

Just now, CAPE said:

Latest NBM. Slow bleed is picking up now. Need the 0z runs to start turning this around!

1705600800-EsfFDpkzuc4.png

It’s over. Will be lucky to see an inch out of this, and I’m usually one of the more optimistic ones

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, stormtracker said:

What a dumb hobby.  Why did we all get cursed with this?   Get this...there are sickos out there who don't care if it snows or not.  They have no concept of weather.  They go about their day and check an app maybe once or twice a week.   And if a storm doesn't come...they are un phased.   What must that be like?  Have yall thought about these people? They are amongst us and they are in way bigger numbers.

There's even people who... *gasp*... hate snow... :yikes:

17 minutes ago, LeesburgWx said:

The GFS only wins when it shows rain or no snow. I think Ji is on to something 

He honestly is... if you just simply went with whatever model showed no snow you'd pretty much be batting 1.000 over the past 2 years. Maybe it legit just doesn't snow here anymore under 750ft

What a crap hobby.  The models are like some sick version of Schoedinger's cat.  Just by fact of modeling a storm it causes the actual wave function to collapse so the storm disappears.  We'd be in the same shape this winter to date if they'd have just shown the SER on every run since November.

I'll fall on the sword - you all cancel your WB subscriptions and instead pay me monthly.  I'll produce snow maps that show monster storms and post them up four times a day.  I'll guarantee you ahead of time that I'll pull the rug at some point before my predicted storm but at least I'll shows HECS and BECS on all the maps right up to the event so we can live in denial for longer.  Frankly that would be just as accurate forecasting snow as the real models have done for the past few years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7