Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

3 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

And remember that the 10:1 ratios shown may be too low for this event too

You're not wrong but until 0:0 is off the table, all other ratios don't excite me too much. What we really need to figure out is how to get the 12:0 ratio then we don't have to care about precip anymore. 

• Like 14
  • Haha 7

WPC for Days 4 and 5 and snippet of the disco - they don’t seem to favor the Euro’s solution.

image.gif.0bc4c4be5de543f159538fe30852e1af.gif

image.gif.b739d5709f9887d25cef7ae6f56c7a7e.gif

The 12Z and now the 00Z ECMWF deterministic
runs are more offshore where hardly any precipitation is onshore
of the East Coast. This seems unlikely based on other guidance and
the EC ensemble mean and members, but unfortunately the
ECMWF-initialized machine learning models did not seem to run for
the 12Z cycle, so we lack that piece of information that could
help with the model diagnostics.

ETA:  Oops sorry, posed earlier too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CAPE said:

NBM keeps getting better

1705536000-sdSerqyolYA.png

This is incredibly important. NBM is a great tool to see trends in the means. The amount of data that is incorporated into the blend aids in a lot of probabilistic data and limits biases. If you guys recall, when the NBM kept trimming snow from the means on the lead up to the last event here, that was a sign that that the trend was moving the wrong direction and despite some of the guidance indicating a better result, it never wavered. This is probably one of the better ensemble tools to utilize when in the medium range and closer in. This is a great trend to see and will be paying close attention to this over the weekend. 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 10

8 minutes ago, yoda said:

Looks like 06z Euro would have been a bit better if it went past 90... hopefully the ensembles are better

Hard to tell at 90. Really need to see how the shortwave energy coming ashore on the S coast of AK behaves beyond this point. Still wants to dig.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

It didn't. 

Ok thought it was too early for the 6z ens. I’m discounting the outliers on both sides (cmc on one, euro on the other). 

I still think the op Euro is too suppressed at least for now. Things may change once the cutter gets out of here. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Heisy said:

This is pretty major differences for 84-90hrs out. Euro is an improvement but it still wouldn’t have been close to the GFS. I think the euro will cave over the next 24 hours since most of the other data leans GFS evo side b0886501a9010c2424d06122a3d731a1.gif

If you compare the 6z Euro to the 0z Euro for the same timeframe, there isn't much difference wrt the key features. You are comparing apples to oranges here.

Seems like this year there's some last minute shift, for better or worse, that occurs around HR90 on the guidance. 12z suite will be impactful today, IMO, fresh upper air data and the players are starting to get closer to the denser North American observation network. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, snowmagnet said:

I’m just catching up on posts since 9 pm and wonder when some of you sleep. 
Just based on following the models and learning from experts on this forum and SM for over 10 years, I’ve noticed that the Euro often has had a habit of sniffing out storms early, losing them in the mid-range, and then coming back.  I remember this quite a bit in 2013-2015.  I am feeling good about actually getting snow on Tuesday.  

Sleep is for human losers. We are snow weenies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, LeesburgWx said:

Looks like we may be reeling this one in. Euro looks like GFS now with snow amounts. I’ll be damned. Those ensembles look beautiful too

You better look again

1 minute ago, Buddy1987 said:

Head scratching.. would’ve thought with other guidance it would trend slightly better. Going the opposite way here. 

Why?  They are not human... if they see something, they are just not going to change because other models do not see it.  I am not saying it is right... but you need to look at all models objectively and see where they are coming from.

If you compare the 6z Euro to the 0z Euro for the same timeframe, there isn't much difference wrt the key features. You are comparing apples to oranges here.

Cape you may have misread me. I was stating that the euro and GFS are still on different hemispheres. I’m not worried yet. I think most guidance leans to a GFS like solution. Unless we see some major shifts on the other models I’m fairly confident euro will come around by the end of the day

• Like 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic