Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

3 minutes ago, Ji said:

the euro was the only model showing something a few days ago. Now its the only model showing nothing. How is the GFS/GGEM/ICON/UKMET showing something and the euro comes out with this

There were plenty of EPS members with this suppressed nothing solution.  There are two options here... either the Euro op is leading the way and the others are now just where it was yesterday and will catch up to the suppressed idea soon.  Or the op euro just randomly drew a solution out of different chaotic options affected by minor changes and it messed one of them up and it will come around to the others soon.  I have no idea which one it is, and neither does anyone else.  

• Like 6

I told you that probably wont work.  Even that control run wasn't going to work and it wasn't even going to be close.  I saw some of the posts about it and went and looked and was like...huh this was going to be way OTS.  The angle that trailing wave is coming in at and the angle of the trough trailing from the TPV makes it almost impossible for that final caboose SW to amplify and come north.  It's going to swing way too far SE before turning the corner.  Plus, with 2 waves ahead of it, its simply unlikely to have enough left along the STJ boundary for it to activate a healthy storm in time.  
Yes, in an ideal world we get the TPV out ahead and then something comes in behind but the spacing isnt even close for that to work.  I was just thrilled the guidance went from keying on the lead wave on Monday/Tuesday to the second wave on Tuesday.  That allows the chance for the front the clear and to get a healthy enough boundary wave like the GFS.  You're going greedy and trying for the next wave which yes if you were to change some variables would have HECS potential but its too late in the game to get those changes imo.  I've been wrong but man would I be really really shocked if that last trailing wave was able to turn the corner and amplify.  I hope I am wrong but that seems far fetched imo.  

Yea guess you’re right. I’d risk cmc inland vs this route lol

3 minutes ago, H2O said:

I think the euro DID get the 850 down to bermuda this run.  This means we are in the sweet spot in 5 days

I know you're kidding but I do not think this is the type of setup where we will see a huge NW shift once guidance does settle on a solution.  Right now its bouncing all over because fairly minor changes in a lot of factors have a huge impact on this, so they are all over the place.  But once they settle in on a basic solution I don't expect HUGE shifts NW with the boundary.  This isn't the same type scenario as last week.  

8 minutes ago, Ji said:

this would never happen with a cutter/Rainstorm

It's been happening all last summer. That's why we're still in a moderate drought in the Valley.

I'm not saying that!  The U.S. Drought Monitor is...........................

image.thumb.png.02041383d4f30012610908b617809354.png

9 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Called it this morning, “watch gfs be snowiest model today”

Look I was rooting for a different evolution, but I’d 1000% take cmc/Ukie/gfs over this crap. Let’s see what eps does.

Oh, we know what  you did. Charges are being drawn up.

• Haha 1

I will say this...we have now had 17 days of a damn near perfect longwave pattern for snow, pretty much since the pacific jet shifted around xmas.  

compday.egPE5FABxy.gif.80e6847bb694b4b364e10122a1b43257.gif

And so far we have 2 perfect track rain events and 2 cutters to show for it.  Yes I know we were left with a torched thermal profile after the December Pac onslaught, I don't know why everyone feels the need to point that out.  

But it will be comical in a Shakespeare tragedy kinda way, if we continue somehow through winter...finding ways to fail despite a pattern that matches every huge snow winter we've had.   After being too warm the TPV drops down on top of us and suppresses everything for weeks...then maybe we finally get it to relax but it shifts too far west and we get cutters again.  

The meltdowns will be entertaining at least.  

• Sad 2
  • Weenie 1

18 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

So, 12z summary of 120-144 OP runs:

CMC - west/rain95/snow favored spots

UKMET - west decent snow/bit of snow for 95

GFS - nice for all

Euro - what storm?

ICON - east/meh/nothingburger

Let's take the median ??

Aren't you forgetting someone:rolleyes:

prateptype_cat-imp.conus.png

• Haha 6
  • Weenie 2

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I will say this...we have now had 17 days of a damn near perfect longwave pattern for snow, pretty much since the pacific jet shifted around xmas.  

compday.egPE5FABxy.gif.80e6847bb694b4b364e10122a1b43257.gif

And so far we have 2 perfect track rain events and 2 cutters to show for it.  Yes I know we were left with a torched thermal profile after the December Pac onslaught, I don't know why everyone feels the need to point that out.  

But it will be comical in a Shakespeare tragedy kinda way, if we continue somehow through winter...finding ways to fail despite a pattern that matches every huge snow winter we've had.   After being too warm the TPV drops down on top of us and suppresses everything for weeks...then maybe we finally get it to relax but it shifts too far west and we get cutters again.  

Even in said Shakespeare hypothetical...the worse part would be that we really wouldn't have an answer...as a suppressed pattern wouldn't answer the "too warm" question as that would be more of a bad luck thing, right?

2 minutes ago, baltosquid said:

Feels like the TPV is just getting deeper and deeper and remains uncomfortably close. Would not be surprised if the EPS also reflects more suppression.

Should we like...start rooting against that somewhat (I know we obviously need the cold) so we can get more space for waves? Not just talking about for Tues, but in general.

13 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yeah, we had a nice NE Pacific High pressure when the 2-3 cutters happened though

https://ibb.co/GFXBnJG

Now, the NAO space and 50/50 low were just about perfect, but this goes back to our argument that the Pacific is dominating right now.. 

Don't quote me, but I think we just need the TPV to ease off a bit... ridging increasing behind the storm bodes well for it amplifying in a vacuum but it needs room and the TPV won't give it any! Ease off too much though and with ridging behind like that, could risk too much amplification I think.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic