Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

8 minutes ago, paulythegun said:

I remember these well!  before I knew to look at the 500mb stuff (and just stared at surface pressure and precip depictions) these were insanely frustrating. precip would build near the gulf with a low approaching from what appears to be the right angle. then the precip would suddenly disappear at the mountains, leaving DC high and dry....before it EXPLODED back onto the scene when the low bombed off the NJ coast. to a snow weenie with no clue why precip goes where it goes, this is one of the most painful events to witness. please be kind to surface map watchers.

Sounds like Boxing Day 2010

(please don't ban me for saying this)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

GFS came really close for the 20th.  Too much NS not enough STJ.  If the STJ wave was a bit more amplified and dominant the setup is there, and guidance is finally starting to see it, for that period.  

My read was it phased a wee bit too late, but at 10 days out it’s really close to something big

0z euro OTOH phased too early (stj wave was a day ahead of gfs). Things are going to shuffle plenty, so best stick with ensembles. 

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

IMO they are in the process of meeting in the middle from where they both were 48 hours ago.  That should end up with us getting some pity flakes while just northeast of us gets a blizzard.  We haven't had one of those in a while, time to feel that pain again.  

I agree. Just not seeing the organization and important features until. It is too late

1 hour ago, Terpeast said:

1994 and 1988 I can see why we got screwed (50/50 ridging).

But that Feb 1977? By all rights we should have gotten buried up to the second floor of our houses. 50/50? Check. NAO? Check. Western ridge? Check. Aleutian low? Check. And yet we got almost nothing. 

I'm happy to learn that we "got almost nothing" from a professional meteorologist  47 years ago back in Feb of 1977 when we should have "gotton buried up to the second floor of our houses".  Some on this board seem to believe that severe snow droughts have only occurred in recent years.

76-77 was very cold with the up-slope mts. to our west getting buried while we often came up frigid and DRY.

• Like 2

I believe the 12z GFS is a step in the right direction. To be simple, more flakes over us. Dear God! No need to be so negative, this is 6 days away.  Sure, at 06z next Tuesday I would rather place that developing lp over Myrtle Beach instead of 275 m  se of NYC.  Give it time and hope for the best.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stormy said:

I believe the 12z GFS is a step in the right direction. To be simple, more flakes over us. Dear God! No need to be so negative, this is 6 days away.  Sure, at 06z next Tuesday I would rather place that developing lp over Myrtle Beach instead of 275 m  se of NYC.  Give it time and hope for the best.

I agree.  Step in right direction for 6 days out!!

4 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

Since 1970 years when DCA had 5”+ of rain in Dec, and where Jan is headed the same way , were 1977-78 and 1986-87.

77-78 were like 4.9+ for both months and 86-87 5” Dec and 7” Jan.

Analog precedent rainfall pattern gives hope. 

Anything pre 2010 needs to account for CC when doing comparisons.

Let’s be frank  though-the pattern didn’t change and the delays continue.

we can still get a biggie orccouple old fashioned 3-5 inches but a persist cold and snowy winter with snow remaining on ground  is not in the cards but may yet assert itself upon 2-3 snowing occasions. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic