• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

IMO they are in the process of meeting in the middle from where they both were 48 hours ago.  That should end up with us getting some pity flakes while just northeast of us gets a blizzard.  We haven't had one of those in a while, time to feel that pain again.  

• Haha 4
  • Sad 2
  • Weenie 2

Just now, psuhoffman said:

IMO they are in the process of meeting in the middle from where they both were 48 hours ago.  That should end up with us getting some pity flakes while just northeast of us gets a blizzard.  We haven't had one of those in a while, time to feel that pain again.  

Yeah, seems to be the theme.  Storm getting together, but too late for us.  Euro was still better for us tho

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

please take a break from the board for 12 hours

• Haha 3

Just now, stormtracker said:

Yeah, seems to be the theme.  Storm getting together, but too late for us.  Euro was still better for us tho

I know, and every once in a while things don't follow the "normal" outcomes, but we both know how that kind of synoptic progression with a late phase system starting to amplify right at out latitude usually works out for us.  But its been so long since we had any snow we also know that everyone is going to latch on and hug any run that shows snow like their life depended on it only making the trauma that much worse when what is most likely coming happens.  

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

I know, and every once in a while things don't follow the "normal" outcomes, but we both know how that kind of synoptic progression with a late phase system starting to amplify right at out latitude usually works out for us.  But its been so long since we had any snow we also know that everyone is going to latch on and hug any run that shows snow like their life depended on it only making the trauma that much worse when what is most likely coming happens.  

lol yesterday you were worried about the euro showing an early phase. Anyway...nobody is expecting a hecs from this storm. We would be happy with 2 inches. We are not like you where you get 50 inches a season without having to blink

3 minutes ago, Ji said:

please take a break from the board for 12 hours

I can leave and you can start 17 new threads and it won't make a difference.  None of this controls the weather.  

You know I'm right.  Maybe things reverse today, but even the euro has been trending towards a messier later phase with a more progressive wave initially.  We are pretty far southwest for that to work out, places northeast of us have way more time for a system to come together.  We've played this game so many times, you know exactly what the most likely outcome is. 

IMO we want to see 2 things...we need an earlier phase so the system is organized by our latitude not just getting its act together...but then we also need a better trend in the 50/50 space or one of those SW's in the flow rotating around the main vortex to create some confluence on top to prevent that earlier phased system from cutting.  If we get both of those trends we can get this to work.  Late phase, late development, storm misses us mostly to the northeast.  Early phase, no confluence storm cuts.  We need both those things.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ji said:

lol yesterday you were worried about the euro showing an early phase. Anyway...nobody is expecting a hecs from this storm. We would be happy with 2 inches. We are not like you where you get 50 inches a season without having to blink

I've had 50" one time in the last 8 years.  But ok.  I am NOT talking about what we need to get a HECS, that's not on the table with this setup.  I am talking what we need to get a decent snow.  3-6" maybe.  Not sure what you mean about yesterday, I've always said we needed an earlier phase but also a better outcome in the 50/50 space to offset, without that our window is very very narrow needing to thread the needle.  

• Like 2

Now that we've cleared the first cutter, we're seeing the models trend towards an outcome (whatever that may be, for better or worse). Still have the next power cutter up before our period of interest, so we're probably not seeing the final solution on any of the models yet. 

Again, for better or for worse.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I remember these well!  before I knew to look at the 500mb stuff (and just stared at surface pressure and precip depictions) these were insanely frustrating. precip would build near the gulf with a low approaching from what appears to be the right angle. then the precip would suddenly disappear at the mountains, leaving DC high and dry....before it EXPLODED back onto the scene when the low bombed off the NJ coast. to a snow weenie with no clue why precip goes where it goes, this is one of the most painful events to witness. please be kind to surface map watchers.

• Like 1

Jeez were nearly a week out with a storm in between and you’d think snow miser just came through and told us he has cancer and left his estate to heat miser. We’ll see what happens but at this point I won’t look a positive trend in the mouth

• Haha 5

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic