• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 11-13th Blizzard

5 minutes ago, Harry Perry said:

Dry air at the onset of the event and now the massive dry slotting didn’t help either. 5” here as well. Local Mets trying to sell the idea that the deformation snow is coming by 1am and will be intense through tomorrow lol, I just don’t see that happening. The main event is over for areas south of I-96.. time to turn our attention to the lake-effect for tomorrow into Sunday. Not expecting much around here, but you should do very well in GR. 

The low doing unexpected things in Northern Illinois allowed a lot more dry air to get in I think sadly 

• Sad 1

Crazy storm.  I will not complain with the results.  Several hours of heavy snow.  :snowing: Man it is wet and thick.  I recall a few storms thick like this in the 80s.  Wish temps would have held below freezing after it ended but currently it is dripping and compacting.  Probably a good thing though to lose some before those winds kick back up.  Now into backlash snows, LES and arctic temps.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

The low doing unexpected things in Northern Illinois allowed a lot more dry air to get in I think sadly 

Yeah, kinda had a feeling this was going to be that kind of storm. Tons of convection to the south too. But hey, we finally got some snow. GFS and EURO nailed the overall track for nearly 10 days lead time which is pretty impressive. The specifics though were terrible. I don’t know that there was even one model close to the outcome, maybe last nights 00z HRRR? I’d have to check. 

One last final burst of better rates here on the back side.  Man, what a storm.  Had pretty low expectations after last system's shenanigans.  Knew the front end thump would be okay, but what followed that was questionable.  

Residual backside stuff gave us another 0.8" this evening to bring us to 13.8".  Biggest dump since GHD2.

• Like 10

13 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Absolutely gorgeous outside. Three inches and counting of extremely heavy wet snow. Probably 5-1 ratio

FB_IMG_1705100191982.jpg

FB_IMG_1705100195243.jpg

FB_IMG_1705100200611.jpg

FB_IMG_1705100207476.jpg

Quite a storm here. After I posted those pictures I was outside shoveling snow. Snow blower would not even come close to cutting thru this 4-1 ratio snow. Then TSSN, lightning lit up everything and the thunder was a long rumble. Then 15 minutes later more (we did have thundersnow on March 3rd last winter but this was more impressive). Power kept flickering then went out. Snow turned to rain. Temp rose to 38 (technically never hit freezing during the heavy snow, remained a steady 33), snow fell off all the trees and lines (not before limbs down and transformers blown) Snow boulder ruts and puddles everywhere. Power back on.

Total snowfall here 4.1", about 4-5:1 ratio. DTW had 4.6" on 1.04" and about an inch of that was all snow.

Wake up this morning to howling winds, temp of 25, snow compacted to 3" (less around drip lines under all trees) and frozen and light snow swirling around. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Fiddle around here in Hancock all night. Just light snow and then greatly picked up in intensity around 6 am. Flakes are larger now. Lake effect must be kicking in. My father called earlier and it wasn't doing anything in Twin Lakes. He was thinking about heading here to my house and I told not too. I had a feeling it would get more intense and I was right. I seen this many times where It didn't do much overnight and then by 6 am it cuts loose. I haven't been outside yet. Waiting for my blabber mouth neighbor to finish his driveway and go in. I hate having to yak with someone when I am trying to get something done. 

• Haha 3

Well the storm definitely under performed in Alpena,altho it was pretty nasty last night for a couple hours. I'd say we got about 10" and 2-3' drifts. Could get a couple more inches thru Monday. 

About 6-8” in Rogers City with drifts. Very fluffy, so cleanup should be easy compared to this past Tuesday.

Didn’t really accumulate anything after 8 PM last night so ended between 10 and 11”.  
Major drifting though. Had to clear my driveway again and relatives in rural areas have 3 foot drifts and will need a bobcat to clear the snow out 

• Like 2