Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tuesday, January 9 Rain and Wind Storm

Weather Will

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

From a "real feel lol" perspective it most likely will. Should get good mixing/turbulence once the sun does its thing. Yesterday was a good reminder about southerly flow+saturated column. Winds near the surface have to fight to touch it. I've personally never witnessed a significant southerly wind event anywhere west of the bay. Every prediction underperforms.

Westerlies have it easy. They get tumbled and pushed to the surface. Maybe you can witness some beautiful devastation in your yard today. I'm rootin for ya brother :nerdsmiley::tomato:

Early dismissal today?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Random Chaos said:

Annapolis is currently 4.67 feet MLLW (3.86 feet NAVD88). Forecast is for this to reach 5.5 feet MLLW for Annapolis in just over an hour (about another foot), then to stop rising.

I am calibrated to NAVD88 and this is what my gauge reads just north of the Bay Bridge:

image.thumb.jpeg.806558e5c4201956682a4bc5b437ddeb.jpeg

How dare you hate on NAVD29!!!!!  I set so many benchmarks off monumentation that was NAD29!!!  

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, H2O said:

How dare you hate on NAVD29!!!!!  I set so many benchmarks off monumentation that was NAD29!!!  

My pier was height surveyed using NAVD88 for power (required in AA county) so that's what I used as a basis since I had that precisely at 6ft 2in to the deck of the pier :whistle:

13 minutes ago, GramaxRefugee said:

WSSC is still stuck on NGVD29. Which ripples through the survey world in MD.

A lot of entities still use 29.  Just as some use NAD27 for state plane and not 83.  But those will be obsolete soon too.  Nerds and their GPS keep refining the earth geoid.

3 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Sorry to hear this, and even if the losses were not great by your estimation, it still sucks. Our sump pump is ancient...we've lived in our home for 22 years, and it had already been installed for years before THAT. It works well and sounds the same as the day we moved in...really only gets a good workout (e.g., popping on every 20-30 min) maybe 4x-5x annually depending on how many biblical rainstorms we get, but I feel like we're beyond living on borrowed time there. If anyone has any good recommendations for a sump pump with battery backup, would love to hear them....

I used to have one of these: 12v bilge pump until we moved to a house without a basement.

But I don't really recommend it. You have to be there during the flood, and if so, you could just use a portable generator to plug in the usual pump. (Which I didn't have at the time)

My next door neighbor installed a 12v pump, but just like an antique car that sits in the garage, maintaining the battery was a pain. They moved before needing it, and our neighborhood stopped losing power so often after a BGE rework of the area. Last I looked, it was shown on the Home Depot site.

I have other stories too, but the bottom line for me was that I felt much better being able to pump out with power from my car, or from a genset, or whatever. Otherwise you just stand there watching it happen, and that is rather demoralizing.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, H2O said:

A lot of entities still use 29.  Just as some use NAD27 for state plane and not 83.  But those will be obsolete soon too.  Nerds and their GPS keep refining the earth geoid.

people who use NAD27 for state plane instead of NAD83 should be maimed. fuck those people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Random Chaos said:

Nothing really exceptional about that video. Waves of that size are pretty common on the open bay - I get them many times every year with nor'easters. The fetch in that video appears to be from the east and the location appears to be somewhere near the Northrup Grumman facility based on the bridge angle, so only about 5 miles of fetch creating those waves, not the long southerly fetch that was expected to bring us 5-6 foot waves. They look around 3-4 foot there. It might seem rare for people that don't see the bay violent on a regular basis, but it isn't all that rare. What's rare is the 70+ MPH gusts that we were having on the bridge for about 4 hours straight. That's why the bridge was closed. But remember that the bridge deck is a few hundred feet up, winds at the surface may not have ever reached 70. My exposure is wrong to get the strongest winds, so I can't really comment on what the bay south of the bridge was seeing.

Her synopsis does not match the conditions the bay produces with strong southerly wind direction for 6+ hours. 
I think this is a top 5 all time tide heightvat Annapolis.  That is In Fact, exceptional 

15 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

Her synopsis does not match the conditions the bay produces with strong southerly wind direction for 6+ hours. 
I think this is a top 5 all time tide heightvat Annapolis.  That is In Fact, exceptional 

Last night was #3 on record at 5.11ft MLLW in Annapolis.

#2 was 1933 at 6.18ft MLLW.

#1 was 2003 at 7.20ft MLLW.

That's at least for the timer period we have records for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GramaxRefugee said:

I used to have one of these: 12v bilge pump until we moved to a house without a basement.

But I don't really recommend it. You have to be there during the flood, and if so, you could just use a portable generator to plug in the usual pump. (Which I didn't have at the time)

My next door neighbor installed a 12v pump, but just like an antique car that sits in the garage, maintaining the battery was a pain. They moved before needing it, and our neighborhood stopped losing power so often after a BGE rework of the area. Last I looked, it was shown on the Home Depot site.

I have other stories too, but the bottom line for me was that I felt much better being able to pump out with power from my car, or from a genset, or whatever. Otherwise you just stand there watching it happen, and that is rather demoralizing.

Really appreciate these inputs. Of course, I have a manual bilge pump, but as you infer...I gotta BE there shortly after the power fails on the sump pump.  :)  Have read several recs for water-powered backup sump pumps, if one is attached to municipal water (which I am)...a pricier option, but works for some.

1 hour ago, mappy said:

people who use NAD27 for state plane instead of NAD83 should be maimed. fuck those people. 

25 minutes ago, H2O said:

Knew you’d jump in on this. :D

I usually pride myself on being pretty tech savvy...but then some of y'all come along and have these conversations that make me realize what a techtard I really am...

The previous banner was hideous and I'm just now removing it... — my first  popcorn gif

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, H2O said:

Knew you’d jump in on this. :D

It's incredibly annoying hahaha. I will be sent coordinates, but not the system they are in, so it's a guessing game. Always guess feet vs meters first, then narrow down to state plane or utm zones. I never ever check NAD27 systems. It's ancient. Get with the times people. 

8 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Really appreciate these inputs. Of course, I have a manual bilge pump, but as you infer...I gotta BE there shortly after the power fails on the sump pump.  :)  Have read several recs for water-powered backup sump pumps, if one is attached to municipal water (which I am)...a pricier option, but works for some.

I usually pride myself on being pretty tech savvy...but then some of y'all come along and have these conversations that make me realize what a techtard I really am...

The previous banner was hideous and I'm just now removing it... — my first  popcorn gif

hahaha we are talking about coordinate systems. 

each coordinate system has a geodetic datum, which is the reference used for positioning the earth when locations were collected. Most commonly used is NAD83, which is based on the geodetic reference system of 1980. NAD27 is a totally different ellipse. If you were to plot the same points using each datum, they would not line up exactly, there would be an offset to take into account that change in earth reference position. 

fun stuff! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Thank you. Those are communists who hate our freedoms. State plane or bust, glad Maryland only has 1 state plane. PA had 2.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, mappy said:

hahaha we are talking about coordinate systems. 

each coordinate system has a geodetic datum, which is the reference used for positioning the earth when locations were collected. Most commonly used is NAD83, which is based on the geodetic reference system of 1980. NAD27 is a totally different ellipse. If you were to plot the same points using each datum, they would not line up exactly, there would be an offset to take into account that change in earth reference position. 

fun stuff! 

So...it IS actually fun and interesting, at least to me. I did the requisite 15-min Google search-and-skim on the geodetic systems that you, @H2O and @Random Chaos were discussing on this page and the last page in this discussion. It's fascinating to read about how/when standards are updated, and how the new standard compares to the old ones. While I am...WAY...beyond being able to change careers at the dinosaur stage of my current professional life, I wish I'd had the interest and ability to learn more about surveying and GIS far earlier in my career. I love how it holds the possibility to get you out and away from an office desk/chair and out in the field...  ;) 

28 minutes ago, mappy said:

It's incredibly annoying hahaha. I will be sent coordinates, but not the system they are in, so it's a guessing game. Always guess feet vs meters first, then narrow down to state plane or utm zones. I never ever check NAD27 systems. It's ancient. Get with the times people. 

At least most of the stuff you work with HAD coordinates.  Old plats and deeds I worked on only gave descriptions like: 

From the stump by old man Miller's barn go northerly 100 rods to the rock.  then go northeasterly 50 chains to the cedar post next to Ichabod Crane's headstone, thence southerly 85 cubits to the middle of the crick in Johnston's potato field, then westerly 400 paces to the point of beginning.  

If I even had NAD27 I cried tears of happiness.  

• Haha 5

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic