• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-7, 2024 Winter Storm Obs Thread

WxWatcher007

It's too early for postmortem on this event but so far ... it appears the idea of tempering the outcome may have been the better expectation.  We'll see how things play out during the day.   Winchendon MA with 3.5" and 7.5" at this end of Rt 2, and I have contact over in Chelmsford with 8" so along the Rt 2 corridor, as of 9 am 'moderate' sufficed for this.   

Again, we're saying if this ended now, so we'll see where we stand this evening.  So far, this event appears to be driven by the lead S/W, albeit attenuating, still with enough thrust to generate isentropic lift.    Really, just timed a sufficiently cold air mass ( interior ) with that which could have happened without that cold - so 'fortunate' in that sense.   It would be nice to see this evolve into a more cyclonic generation/cross section with that CCB and so forth, to sort of "validate it" further. But ... mm, not sure it really matters either way.

Just airing some thoughts on this as obs are coming across my awareness.

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Awaiting the rapid development later

IMG_0028.gif

How are you feeling about the intensity of the development later? The cold push has been legit here and while guidance is more aggressive later I'm a little skeptical. 

12 minutes ago, Greg said:

What a gradient here! You just about close to 5", guy right next to me in Billerica says he had 9". Must have be the texture of the snow based upon the temps last night. Some snowed at 34-35degrees while other snowed at 31-32 degrees in that band. Incredible. Hopefully a few more inches as this thing pulls away.

I’m actually Impressed Wakefield accumulated 4.5”. And it was 33 there .

My Car thermo was 31 in Billerica at midnight last nite , they did much better then even Bedford and I was 32

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I’m actually Impressed Wakefield accumulated 4.5”. And it was 33 there .

My Car thermo was 31 in Billerica at midnight last nite , they did much better then even Bedford and I was 32

Exactly! :snowwindow:

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

The additional precip from the 3k after 9am. 
image.png

Maybe another 4-6” here. 

Does SENH have a chance to pick up a few more inches? It’s been spitting here all morning but radar looks like it’s slowly filling back in. Not materializing out the window yet.