Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/9-1/10 Now Morphing to Less-Than-Exciting Power Cutter

Torch Tiger

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Chestnuts hulls were probably fun in cutters of yore too. 

image.jpeg

My grandparents had a chestnut tree in their backyard that didn’t succumb to blight until 1994…they had a large open backyard that was cut out of the woods….so I’m guessing the tree being isolated from the rest of the forest probably helped it last as long as it did. 

Worst thing was stepping on those damned things if you went too close to the tree in your bare feet. Once the spike coverings dried out they turned extremely sharp. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, dendrite said:

image.jpeg

Had one of those in our front yard in Deerfield in the early 1980's.  That tree plus a slingshot yielded endless hours of entertainment!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

That is a concern. and with widespread power outages expect across a good chunk of the east coast, that will limit the power companies from brining in crews from other areas to help restore the power.  Usually in situations like this I notice out of state crews in various staging areas. I did not see any crews in some of those staging areas this morning

I was just talking to some Eversource linemen at the gas station and they said they're close to being on their own this time around.  Depending on how it shakes out in Kentucky, Ohio, PA, etc, they may be able to pull some crews in on Friday.  But they're not expecting much mutual aid.  

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

image.jpeg

just watched a documentary about the chestnut blight, incredible how many that wiped out and how much of a staple they were to Appalachia before it happened, and those are huge trees that you could cut a certain way, so they would grow back and not have to kill the tree, pretty fascinating stuff, can imagine getting clocked by them in a wind storm tho would do damage

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

My grandparents had a chestnut tree in their backyard that didn’t succumb to blight until 1994…they had a large open backyard that was cut out of the woods….so I’m guessing the tree being isolated from the rest of the forest probably helped it last as long as it did. 

Worst thing was stepping on those damned things if you went too close to the tree in your bare feet. Once the spike coverings dried out they turned extremely sharp. 

They're plenty sharp when green and near maturity.  I needed leather gloves (which didn't always prevent getting stuck) to gather some mature nuts from a 1962 planting on a public lot.  Wait a day or two and the squirrels would've dehusked all of them.

Latest forecast here is 8-12 followed by 3/4-1" RA, for a juicy mess.  Six miles west in Farmington, it's 10-15" plus the RA.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Layman said:

Had one of those in our front yard in Deerfield in the early 1980's.  That tree plus a slingshot yielded endless hours of entertainment!

WE had to at the elementary school I went to back in the 60's, we used to throw rubber balls and branches to Knock them down, they were like a prize back then if you got a couple, we'd put them on our desk.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Patrick-02540 said:

I was just talking to some Eversource linemen at the gas station and they said they're close to being on their own this time around.  Depending on how it shakes out in Kentucky, Ohio, PA, etc, they may be able to pull some crews in on Friday.  But they're not expecting much mutual aid.  

I am not surprised. Power outages are increasing in the south and along the east coast

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The pasted link has to be pasted as twitter.com...not x.com. Maybe I can change that...not sure.

Not sure what your back-end access is with respect to the forum or how that part works, but looks like those links are currently supported.

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/476730-embed-xcom-posts/#comment-2961605 

22 minutes ago, WJX231 said:

Hopefully its a sign of an overperformer here as well?

They’re right on the lake so not surprising there. BUF is calling this wind a potential generational event. 

2 minutes ago, BuildingScienceWx said:

Starting as snow in our area. No mention of that in the forecast.

I had that in mine fortunately lol