• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-7 Storm Discussion: we’re due?

WxUSAF

4 minutes ago, TSSN+ said:

I just think it drops lower before the clouds 

Yup sunset is in less than a hour, cold ground fresh cold air mass they should drop. The battle won't be the airmass we have but the low track which is why if your a winter weather lover you need it as cold as you can possibly get it and you want some cooperation with the low.

That said there should be a good initial thump with the moisture available. The earlier it moves in the better.

-Keep clear to partyly cloudy skies so temps drop like a rock after sunset.

-Get clouds to roll in before sunrise

-Pray for decent front end thump. Have seen situations where a decent surprising front end thump along with a slightly favorable LP track holds more places over to the wintry precip side longer before any changeover occurs. There have been worse set ups. 

7 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

A lot of times the temp will creep back up slightly once the cloud deck moves in. The dews staying down are pretty key. 

This. Temps will drop but slow rise a cpl degrees. Which is why getting some good rational cooling effect tonight will be key I don't think you want to be at ex 34-35 at Sun rise means clouds rapidly move in and your low was around freezing. Even with a good front end in that scenario places will like have a quick initial burst of snow to sleet before changing over to rain.

Get the temps as deep in the 20s and hope for favorable track conditions even if it's the slightest.

8 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

18z 3k nam thermals colder between 11-16z tomorrow

Every little bit helps. Likely picking up and modeling the current conditions we are seeing and discussing. Will be interesting to see if other models pick up. There will be some with the dreaded white rain but likely some surprises if the front end thump comes in heavy.

7 minutes ago, IronTy said:

Is that Augusta, Georgia?  I hear they're a snow town now.  

We used to be a snow town but Spruce and Snowshoe have gotten greedy in recent years since the Atlantic has divorced us.

7 minutes ago, eddygeeme said:

This. Temps will drop but slow rise a cpl degrees. Which is why getting some good rational cooling effect tonight will be key I don't think you want to be at ex 34-35 at Sun rise means clouds rapidly move in and your low was around freezing. Even with a good front end in that scenario places will like have a quick initial burst of snow to sleet before changing over to rain.

Get the temps as deep in the 20s and hope for favorable track conditions even if it's the slightest.

nobody is falling "deep in the 20s" in DC/Balt metro.  

• Like 1

37/18. High of 38 today. Dew point has already started falling from a high of 21. RGEM is either the most consistent model of all time. Or it is going to go down in flames thinking it is. Feel pretty confident that my 3+ inch snowstorm drought will end tomorrow. And that is fine by me. Would I like to actually get 8? Of course. But I will enjoy whatever I get. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

nobody is falling "deep in the 20s" in DC/Balt metro.  

Correction meant fall as deep in the 20s as they can get. I'm in Germantown exit 16 literally 2-3 minutes from Clarksburg my forecast low is 26.

• Like 1

Cold day here. High of 36 after a low of 22. Currently 31.

Will be lucky to see a sleet pellet before the heavy rain. Strong southerly flow with a low tracking left of the coast and a retreating cold air mass is always a loser here.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, mdhokie said:

Drove home from Deep Creek today and the temp didnt change much along the way, which is odd. 38 when i left, hit a max of 40 around Hagerstown and was 39 when i got home to Ellicott City. 

You done drove in the wrong direction. B)

• Haha 3

CAD and WAA precip are the 2 things that will overperform for us. This isn’t a CAD situation but we can hope that we get a good thump for a few hours tomorrow. That’s the most reasonable “boom” scenario for the metro corridor (and maybe even N/W areas). A few hours of light precip won’t cut it. Fingers crossed!

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

CAD and WAA precip are the 2 things that will overperform for us. This isn’t a CAD situation but we can hope that we get a good thump for a few hours tomorrow. That’s the most reasonable “boom” scenario for the metro corridor (and maybe even N/W areas). A few hours of light precip won’t cut it. Fingers crossed!

That's why i shared this GIF in our PA thread, trend to boost QPF is absolutely what we want & need to see.

gfs_apcpn_neus_fh54_trend.gif

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Cold day here. High of 36 after a low of 22. Currently 31.

Will be lucky to see a sleet pellet before the heavy rain. Strong southerly flow with a low tracking left of the coast and a retreating cold air mass is always a loser here.

The cold HP has dived southeast and offshore of Virginia, setting up this southerly flow.

That would have killed our chances in 1964 or 2024.

3 hours ago, WEATHER53 said:

At 1pm DCA has risen from 27F to 39F but dew point just from 16 to 19.  That’s 4-1 which won’t hold at onset of steady but assures at least a 50/50 meeting between dews and air temp. 
Here’s how I see things for DCA so it would be better just 20 miles further  north and west 

Friday 5pm. Clear 40 

Friday 8pm  Mostly clear 34

10pm increasing clouds 32/dew point 22

1am Cloudy 29/ 23  Temps steady thereafter 

9am cloudy 35/25

10am  steady  light to moderate snow, 31/29 

Actual at 5pm is 38 vs predicted 40 

A good sign also is  that most stations dropped 2/3F between 4 to 5pm

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic