• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Two Mdt to high impact events NYC subforum; wknd Jan 6-7 Incl OBS, and mid week Jan 9-10 (incl OBS). Total water equiv by 00z/11 general 2", possibly 6" includes snow-ice mainly interior. RVR flood potential increases Jan 10 and beyond. Damaging wind.

wdrag

52 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

My local area made it out relatively unscathed. Didn’t loose power and wind wasn’t very strong imby. Can’t believe schools had a 2 hour delay for this haha 

It isn't just about the kids in your town, teachers have to drive to get there and many might need the extra time from floods.

• Like 2

OKX max gust reports herein.  https://www.weather.gov/media/okx/windpns2.pdf

PHI max gust reports herein.    https://www.weather.gov/wrh/TextProduct?product=pnsphi

Attached CoCoRaHs rainfall reports and snowfall reports. 

CP had 1.95" the two storms total 2.6". 

ABE two storms total near 3.39"

This above does it for me... hopefully most here found this thread some fun. Hopefully more of a wintry fun develops for NYC-LI before spring.

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 9.40.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 9.40.58 AM.png

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

as for the rivers in New Jersey perhaps it’s time to start thinking like they did on Staten Island after Sandy.

Maybe it’s time to move people away from those rivers.

Obviously, we’re in a new climate regime now with this kind of thing is going to be happening frequently and it’s not right to keep people in harms way. Especially when harm seems to come every few weeks now.

After Irene FEMA finally came in and moved people out of the hardest hit areas. It's not as easy as it sounds. People are stubborn and don't want to leave. It's not just homes that are hit hard. The Pompton and Passaic rivers both impact highways and businesses. Rt 23 is now shutdown in both directions in Pequannock Township. If you're not familiar with the area you wouldn't know but this is the major artery that connects Rt 80/46 with I-287 and points North and West.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FPizz said:

This is 5 minutes from me.

3.35 ambient station, 3.42 cocorahs gauge.

Schools closed since the Raritan and its branches flooded over here leaving some neighborhoods cutoff.

Was trying to figure out which bridge that is. On Old York going towards Duke Island? Not Studdiford, right?

3.4" on my station...didn't lose power for once.

1 hour ago, the_other_guy said:

as for the rivers in New Jersey perhaps it’s time to start thinking like they did on Staten Island after Sandy.

Obviously, we’re in a new climate regime now with this kind of thing is going to be happening frequently and it’s not right to keep people in harms way. Especially when harm seems to come every few weeks now.

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

After Irene FEMA finally came in and moved people out of the hardest hit areas. It's not as easy as it sounds. People are stubborn and don't want to leave. It's not just homes that are hit hard. The Pompton and Passaic rivers both impact highways and businesses. Rt 23 is now shutdown in both directions in Pequannock Township. If you're not familiar with the area you wouldn't know but this is the major artery that connects Rt 80/46 with I-287 and points North and West.

The government is rarely effective at this type of thing (nor should they be?). What will eventually happen is that the Insurance industry will review the hardest hit areas and - if warranted - rates will skyrocket and it will become nearly impossible to obtain coverage. This, in turn, drives people to leave. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the_other_guy said:

There is one area in town that floods badly multiple times a year. Every time people have all their ruined stuff on the curb and it's sad, but nothing is going to change. They live in the lowest point right next to the river. 

It's a very old section of town with some historic buildings, but people need to get out of there. Not sure what can be done with it. Abandoned houses and a park it will become.

1 hour ago, NJwx85 said:

New milford, nj has this issue near the hackensack and reservoir.  Only a few people took buyout, those houses knocked down.  Others raised their houses but most stayed and still flood. 

4 minutes ago, steve392 said:

New milford, nj has this issue near the hackensack and reservoir.  Only a few people took buyout, those houses knocked down.  Others raised their houses but most stayed and still flood. 

Ocean County still trying to buy out waterfront homes, even those that were raised higher than the flood zone height requirements after Sandy.

1 minute ago, Stormlover74 said:

Still quite gusty out there. Was smart to keep the advisories out til this evening 

Very! Several people around town are going to have to hunt for their recycling cans. Then there are the people further down the street who put their recyclables out LAST NIGHT, cans and bottles which are now decorating a variety of lawns.

5 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Still quite gusty out there. Was smart to keep the advisories out til this evening 

The winds today are almost as strong as they were during the storm last night for our area. I got 2.48" of rain and wind gusts in the 40s. Obviously a significant storm, but it was kind of meh for our area. Terrible though for other areas that are seeing major flooding. 

Waterfront is a great thing until it isn't.  Even the cutest little meandering stream can become a rip-roaring rage if enough rain falls in a short period.  Buying where we bought, far from a water source, was definitely a consideration.  There have been stories of even small steams ultimately washing out entire homes.  Not a good idea in the changing landscape and climate.

3 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

The winds today are almost as strong as they were during the storm last night for our area. I got 2.48" of rain and wind gusts in the 40s. Obviously a significant storm, but it was kind of meh for our area. Terrible though for other areas that are seeing major flooding. 

I had a couple pretty big gusts and had a big limb come down that thankfully missed my garage and car

A lot of the river areas in Northern NJ were resort areas for people in the city during the 40's and 50's when people would vacation out in the country. That is when a lot of these areas were built up. It was a quiet period without a lot of major flooding and you could actually swim and fish in the Pompton river without fear. My Dad grew up in the Sam's Maple Grove section of Lincoln Park and would tell stories about swimming in the river as a kid. Then the  60's were bad with floods with 1968 being the worst. And then you had an almost 20 year quiet period until the big flood of 1984 which set records that were only broken with Irene in 2011. That's the problem. You can sometimes get a 10-20 year stretch with no issues and then a period like this happens with two major floods in less than a month and the potential for more in this pattern. The house my Dad grew up in was finally knocked down after Irene. My Grandfather and three of my Dad's uncles helped build the majority of the houses back there. Not much of what was there is still standing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Maureen said:

Very! Several people around town are going to have to hunt for their recycling cans. Then there are the people further down the street who put their recyclables out LAST NIGHT, cans and bottles which are now decorating a variety of lawns.

After I took much care with my 2 cans (put them out after the squall line, and flooding, with bricks on top of both cans), I just left for work and I have someone else’s crap all over my grass and street. I’m pretty pissed off about it because by the time I saw this it was too late to do anything about it. Plus, they picked up the recycling at 6:30, so when did these people put their cans out, after pickup??

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

A lot of the river areas in Northern NJ were resort areas for people in the city during the 40's and 50's when people would vacation out in the country. That is when a lot of these areas were built up. It was a quiet period without a lot of major flooding and you could actually swim and fish in the Pompton river without fear. Then the  60's were bad with floods with 1968 being the worst. And then you had an almost 20 year quiet period until the big flood of 1984 which set records that were only broken with Irene in 2011. That's the problem. You can sometimes get a 10-20 year stretch with no issues and then a period like this happens with two major floods in less than a month and the potential for more in this pattern.

This pattern better break soon.  Any more of these 1-2" rains in any kind of rapid succession is going to be a big problem for rivers across our area.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, guinness77 said:

After I took much care with my 2 cans (put them out after the squall line, and flooding, with bricks on top of both cans), I just left for work and I have someone else’s crap all over my grass and street. I’m pretty pissed off about it because by the time I saw this it was too late to do anything about it. Plus, they picked up the recycling at 6:30, so when did these people put their cans out after pickup??

I didn't put my recycling out last night, wasn't worth the cleanup the wind would have caused.  I hate when a neighbors trash/recycling ends up on the property.  Good luck on the cleanup.

• Like 1

Just now, uofmiami said:

I didn't put my recycling out last night, wasn't worth the cleanup the wind would have caused.  I hate when a neighbors trash/recycling ends up on the property.  Good luck on the cleanup.

I had a train to make and I’m not home until 10:45 tonight. I’m hoping whoever’s crap this is, they do the right thing and clean it up. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MANDA said:

This pattern better break soon.  Any more of these 1-2" rains in any kind of rapid succession is going to be a big problem for rivers across our area.

This is typical of a moderate to strong El Nino. Warm, wet pattern with lots of storm chances and not much cold air.

3 hours ago, FPizz said:

It isn't just about the kids in your town, teachers have to drive to get there and many might need the extra time from floods.

And not for nothing, what about the rest of us that have to get to work today but had to show up 3 hours late so they teachers could stroll in 2 hours later?

You do what any responsible adult does in bad weather, assuming you dont have a crisis at home, you hit the road early and arrive when you are supposed to arrive

48 minutes ago, guinness77 said:

I had a train to make and I’m not home until 10:45 tonight. I’m hoping whoever’s crap this is, they do the right thing and clean it up. 

Yeah, there were boxes and garbage everywhere this morning. Thankfully didn’t notice much tree damage but lots of trash. Island Park got flooded pretty good, LIRR shut down because of water on the tracks. 

• Rjay unpinned this topic