Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

6 minutes ago, Ji said:

i mean its not a huge difference.....that far out. Ive seen worse tracks than the 12z. Seems like a slight change could make it much more favorable. Lets see what ensembles say after i google them

There were some key details that made that 0z run work.  The TPV was elongated to the east as a lobe rotated around which compressed the flow some out ahead.  Also, it split the energy of the trough diving underneath the TPV and had a trailing SW kicking the system east more.  Those 2 little fluke details are what made it work because the trough axis is actually NOT good and the favored look for an amplified wave would be to cut too far west for us.  And those little weird details are not something guidance could possibly get right from that range anyways.  That's why I said this is not something I would feel optimistic in until very short leads.  WIth the TPV there we would need some discreet details to break out way to mitigate the unfavorable trough axis with not enough confluence to our northeast .  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JenkinsJinkies said:

Why is it when these things shift warmer 10 days out it never shifts back to snow despite there being plenty of time for models to change?

Once you go bla…. rain, you don’t go back. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, JenkinsJinkies said:

Why is it when these things shift warmer 10 days out it never shifts back to snow despite there being plenty of time for models to change?

It could be a conspiracy by Bill Gates, but more likely they were wrong to begin with.. Day 15 forecasts aren't exactly in their wheelhouse, let alone day 3.  

8 minutes ago, JenkinsJinkies said:

Ji said that years ago.  Along with "always go with least snowy model" "rainstorms always over perform" "winter is over (In December)" and "we suck"...that last one is my favorite.  Actually over the years they prove correct..wise man he is

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

EPS is way more favorable than the OP with lower heights in SE Canada

IMG_4168.thumb.gif.fa6123bb914be9f311f6f40bb291ee17.gif

The main fail on the op was the amplifying ridge out west allowed involvement of a significant piece of that NS vorticity ribbon, which amplified the wave too much.  12z EPS looks slightly better than 0z, but still seems to favor frozen to our NW. 

The 12z GEFS was solid for our area. Not seeing much in the way of suppression on the members of either model, which is a tad worrisome at this range.

12z 1-16, Euro gives the Central Valley .50" of new ice with a surface temp. of 24 degrees. Welcome to the skating rink!!  850 temps have dropped from +4 to - 9 in 6 hrs!     Temps. fall all day to 12 by 7 pm.

16 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

EPS is way more favorable than the OP with lower heights in SE Canada

IMG_4168.thumb.gif.fa6123bb914be9f311f6f40bb291ee17.gif

That kinda just looks like what an ensemble at that range would look like smoothed v an op showing the same general thing.  Yet mixed within that mean there are likely some better solutions...but it has all the main features centered in the same location and that TPV is still west of where we need it to give us a high probability for a snowstorm here.  

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, JenkinsJinkies said:

Because the human brain is hardwired for negativity and that's what you end up remembering more often than not. Shifts in the other direction happen too. Being positive takes work

There's also inherent cold bias in the long range afaik

Your best bet would be to stop paying attention to D7+ model output

• Thanks 1

Just now, psuhoffman said:

That kinda just looks like what an ensemble at that range would look like smoothed v an op showing the same general thing.  Yet mixed within that mean there are likely some better solutions...but it has all the main features centered in the same location and that TPV is still west of where we need it to give us a high probability for a snowstorm here.  

Snow Mean has jumped way up for the Ohio valley for the 3rd wave. I would like to see that type Increase in our areas. Still a good amount of idv that have nothing for the dc-nyc corridor out 360 hours 

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

This is my general takeaway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stormtracker said:

Yep.  Euro went from sugar to shit in 12 hours.  what else is new.  Congrats Arkansas

Ra**y it gotten too hard.  I would not miss like I did last one pre 2012. And it’s happened too much in last 12 years. Reliable  enso the NAO and AO are not the predictors they once  were. Solid cold air now moves out in a heartbeat. Planetary changes. What I accumulated from 1965 to 2012 does not prevail anymore  Makes me assess  interest