Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

2 minutes ago, Heisy said:

So we all knew there was gonna be a western cold dump during this time frame. But still man, what’s it gonna take to get +PNA? Voodoo? 7ae7955e7aca0779fcce08cce343cd2f.jpg

Still a TPV in Ontario. That's a pretty cold and stormy look

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Been some hints of an MLK storm. Minus the next Tuesday deal (trip to the mountains?) that period is what interests me most

Agreed. I’ll start the thread. 

In all honesty, the pattern is just super active starting this weekend. And there is arctic air nearby. Going to be a lot of precip either way I think. 

• Like 13

So we all knew there was gonna be a western cold dump during this time frame. But still man, what’s it gonna take to get +PNA? Voodoo? 7ae7955e7aca0779fcce08cce343cd2f.jpg

We had a pna for most of Dec. how did that work for you lol

16 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

@Stormchaserchuck1…this produced 3 snow events and one of our epic Nino snow runs.  -pna. I think this is where we’re headed. Yes or no, are you saying this wouldn’t work anymore? 

You really think that's a -pna, with a trough across the N. pacific from Japan to the West coast? It seems like LR models are evolving this way, and my research has highlighted the Jan 19th period as the pattern change, so let's see if it holds going forward. If a trough develops under a -WPO ridge, we may be in business. I would also like that Pacific pattern to develop before the NAO is rising up from negative (KU storms). The SE ridge/Aleutian ridge may linger though, I'm not 100% on that changing before the 19/20. But these are really good trends today in the PNA region for the long range. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Heisy said:

The question I’m wondering is how many cutters will it take to finally get legit lower heights under the block in 50/50 land. End of euro, prob have to run that another 3-5 days+ for us to have a good setup 91566255782b91b549a5be03cbb7f823.jpg

Your question is the same one that I (and I am sure most) are asking after that Euro run. Last year, I get it - raging SER a la Nina. But what do we need now to break this OHV track?

3 hours ago, Heisy said:

During most -PDO cycle ninos we still get a lot of -PNA, but with a block its supposed to overcome it.  A -PDO can actually be awesome with blocking if the systems slide east under the block instead of getting stuck out west with a SER linking to the block.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

You really think that's a -pna, with a trough across the N. pacific from Japan to the West coast? It seems like LR models are evolving this way, and my research has highlighted the Jan 19th period as the pattern change, so let's see if it holds going forward. If a trough develops under a -WPO ridge, we may be in business. I would also like that Pacific pattern to develop before the NAO is rising up from negative (KU storms). The SE ridge/Aleutian ridge may linger though, I'm not 100% on that changing before the 19/20. But these are really good trends today in the PNA region for the long range. 

PNA values from that time period

1966 1 15 -1.725
1966 1 16 -1.642
1966 1 17 -1.534
1966 1 18 -1.542
1966 1 19 -1.654
1966 1 20 -1.739
1966 1 21 -1.622
1966 1 22 -1.402
1966 1 23 -1.269
1966 1 24 -1.26
1966 1 25 -1.204
1966 1 26 -1.255
1966 1 27 -1.369
1966 1 28 -1.562
1966 1 29 -1.333
1966 1 30 -0.903
1966 1 31 -0.927

However, I agree that while the numerical value is a -PNA there is a HUGE difference between a -PNA linked up with the NS in a full latitude trough and a -PNA due to cut off STJ energy crashing into the southwest with ridging over top of it.  But technically it is still a -PNA.  I was just trying to see if you think that setup can still work.  It appears you do.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

GFS brining the goods again for the Tuesday thump. Like 6 inches out here. Sadly it is followed by a torrential dumping of rain. I will be out there standing over my snowboard with an umbrella getting that last measurement. :)

That's exactly what I need to clean my stream out!  It has been 2 years.

1 hour ago, jayyy said:

Thought the better sampling aspect was a debunked theory… guess not.

Beyond HR 72, my preferred model suites are the 00z and 12z because they incorporate fresh upper air data.

1 hour ago, Chris78 said:

On the Lwx forecast discussion they discussed better sampling later tonight as the second shortwave comes on shore on the west coast. Sounded like they expected more model agreement late tonight/ Tomorrow as the shortwaves are both over land. 

Kind of funny to read that. I thought that was an old weenie fable when things don't look great. :lol:

The Pacific Ocean is a data hole. While we have increased capabilities with GOES-R, nothing will beat a sampled atmosphere from an upper air balloon.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Fall line again

I read that at first as "fail line again." That shows you where I'm at these days lol. In all seriousness, I am really, really hopeful for this period from mid January into February.

• Like 1

I read that at first as "fail line again." That shows you where I'm at these days lol. In all seriousness, I am really, really hopeful for this period from mid January into February.

I have a bad feeling about February now. We better score as early and often as we can now
  • Like 1
  • Weenie 1