Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

1 hour ago, Cold Miser said:

Woke up to a frozen lake yesterday morning ...All so it can slowly melt away over the coming days.  (The underground lava river must have temporarily stopped flowing)

20240123_171051.jpg

That looks like a slushie.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Band should beef up a bit and lay down a nice 1" refresher or so from the NE half of CT and points NE from there.. Between 11pm and 3am is the thick of it.  I think I'm just a bit too far SW to get in on the action.. 

Yeah well see its gonna be close, and i think elevation will help a bit as well, esp with sticking with the surface temps being so marginal. Right now North Haven is 37 and Prospect is 32. Areas near the 84 line will probably accumulate but the shoreline and esp far SW CT its lights out for anything more than some white rain.

881565426_Screenshot2024-01-23184723.thumb.png.3417945b929f997526f2a649e8fa8487.png

9 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Yeah well see its gonna be close, and i think elevation will help a bit as well, esp with sticking with the surface temps being so marginal. Right now North Haven is 37 and Prospect is 32. Areas near the 84 line will probably accumulate but the shoreline and esp far SW CT its lights out for anything more than some white rain.

881565426_Screenshot2024-01-23184723.thumb.png.3417945b929f997526f2a649e8fa8487.png

Goody. 

I traversed a ton of VT today. Hit an account in Brattleboro where there was maybe 5” OTG . Then continued up 91 to 89. Hit accounts in Lamoille Valley in Colchester and Morrisville . Morrisville had a solid 6-8 but Colchester maybe 2-3”. As I drove thru downtown Stowe area they had a good 10-12”. I’m staying in BTV and there’s 2-3” which is exactly what I have at home except it’s iced over vs the fluff here. You can tell overall, it’s been a fairly shitty winter by VT standards. Talking to locals here at dinner , they agree. Beer
lZydtAC.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Is that taken from Mount Washington?  Where’s all the snow on those peaks? 

They have a decent pack up there. Looks like there’s snow on them if you look closely. That pic has a color filter on it that makes everything look darker so the snow doesn’t stick out as much. Either that or the light was really weird near sunset or something. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

They have a decent pack up there. Looks like there’s snow on them if you look closely. That pic has a color filter on it that makes everything look darker so the snow doesn’t stick out as much. Either that or the light was really weird near sunset or something. 

Ya that doesn’t look right/realistic.  But thanks for that info about the filter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Band should beef up a bit and lay down a nice 1" refresher or so from the NE half of CT and points NE from there.. Between 11pm and 3am is the thick of it.  I think I'm just a bit too far SW to get in on the action.. 

Cranker is on it. I’m going 2-3” back home tonight 

https://x.com/contentwxguy/status/1749954165801951321?s=46&t=dhcbvkjmRcyBVQtDxJ3lRg

42 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Ya that doesn’t look right/realistic.  But thanks for that info about the filter. 

It’s just darkened it looks like.  I bet that’s super bright and hard to get the cloud definition without taking it down a bit.

Those peaks have snow.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

It’s just darkened it looks like.  I bet that’s super bright and hard to get the cloud definition without taking it down a bit.

Those peaks have snow.

Ya that makes sense. But that look just didn’t look very white with snow. 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I traversed a ton of VT today. Hit an account in Brattleboro where there was maybe 5” OTG . Then continued up 91 to 89. Hit accounts in Lamoille Valley in Colchester and Morrisville . Morrisville had a solid 6-8 but Colchester maybe 2-3”. As I drove thru downtown Stowe area they had a good 10-12”. I’m staying in BTV and there’s 2-3” which is exactly what I have at home except it’s iced over vs the fluff here. You can tell overall, it’s been a fairly shitty winter by VT standards. Talking to locals here at dinner , they agree. Beer
lZydtAC.jpeg

Yeah the Champlain Valley snowpack in any given winter isn’t too different from elevated interior SNE.  In fact, a lot of winters 1,000ft at ORH will have more snow on the ground than the CPV.  It’s colder up north and can be prone to more wintry events… but CPV climo isn’t far off your home.

I’d put the winter at mediocre due to warmth, but it’s been serviceable with some highlights.  Snow cover hasn’t been deep, but it has been consistent.  A lot of events up here have favored east of the mountains (SE flow below 850, moist and overrunning marginal air masses)… the snow had been heavy paste until the past stretch.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah the Champlain Valley snowpack in any given winter isn’t too different from elevated interior SNE.  In fact, a lot of winters 1,000ft at ORH will have more snow on the ground than the CPV.  It’s colder up north and can be prone to more wintry events… but CPV climo isn’t far off your home.

I’d put the winter at mediocre due to warmth, but it’s been serviceable with some highlights.  Snow cover hasn’t been deep, but it has been consistent.  A lot of events up here have favored east of the mountains (SE flow below 850, moist and overrunning marginal air masses)… the snow had been heavy paste until the past stretch.

I saw a lot of the blowdown in spots today from the screamers too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nutmegfriar said:

Burlington is much better in the summer, when it becomes the nipple ring capital of the world.

I walked 8 minutes from the Marriott by the lake up to Church St. Def no eye candy . A couple in the bar but this time of year and during mid week it’s just Jimmy Deans in general .

• Haha 2